inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Celebrities who died in plane crashes.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/14 at 8:58 am

I was going to post this in more than a decade but then I thought why not discuss it here? 
Morbid? maybe but I was just reading about Otis Redding's death and I was suddenly struck with how many times that has happened....

Buddy Holly
Ritchie Valens
The Big Bopper

Patsy Cline

Jim Reeves (I didn't know this until tonight but, apparently, Jim Reeves who was flying his plane when it crashed was trained by the same instructor who trained the pilot of Patsy Cline's plane  - damn  :-\\ )
Otis Redding
Several Members of the BarKays

Rick Nelson
(his girlfriend and 6 members of his band also died)

John F. Kennedy Jr (along with his wife and her sister)

Aaliyah (you know I can't spell her name without singing that line from her song (EVERY. DAMN. TIME. lol...  Ya, Oh, it's the L-I-Y-A-H)  :D 

some body will have to fill in about that  spanish singer who died last year
and the guess from Skynard...is that right? I know it's some 70s rock band but I don't know enough to mention it here. 

Subject: Re: Celebrities who died in plane crashes.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/12/14 at 9:28 am

I can think of a few:

Glenn Miller?....1944 (listed as MIA)
Golfer Payne Stewart...1999
NASCAR drivers Alan Kulwicki and Davey Allison....Both in 1993, in separate accidents
John Denver...1997
Jim Croce...1973
Randy Rhoads...1982

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/12/14 at 11:44 am

1971 Audie Murphy
1972 Roberto Clemente - Baseball player
1979 Thurman Munson- Baseball player
1990 Stevie Ray Vaughan
1996 Ron Brown -U.S. Secretary of Commerce
1997 John Denver

http://planecrashinfo.com/famous.htm

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/14 at 12:00 pm

1971 Audie Murphy
1990 Stevie Ray Vaughan
1996 Ron Brown -U.S. Secretary of Commerce
1997 John Denver

Cat

Thx for the web site link I didn't see that last night.

Honestly I was reading on Otis and just started thinking how crazy it is that this many exist.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/14 at 12:37 pm

Leslie Howard (Ashley Wilkes in Gone With the Wind) in 1943.

Randy Rhoads (guitarist with Ozzy and Quiet Riot) in 1982

Ronnie Van Zandt, Steve Gaines, Cassie Gaines (of Lynyrd Skynyrd) in 1977

Stevie Ray Vaughan (1990) in a chopper crash

Bill Graham legendary concert promoter (1991) in a chopper crash

Francis Gary Powers (1977) in a chopper crash

Written By: warped on 01/12/14 at 1:53 pm

Cat

As a huge baseball fan, I was so sad when these 2 passed away. Esp Clemente for me, he was larger than life when I was a kid, watching him play.  And he died in helping others....he was on a relief mission to deliver supplies for earthquake victims in Nicaragua.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/14 at 2:15 pm

Senator H.J. Heinz III (collision of a chopper and an airplane) in 1991.  He and I are going to be neighbors one day.  He is buried a few hundred feet from my family's grave site in lovely Homewood, PA.  :P

Senator Ted Stevens (from Alaska) in 2010.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/12/14 at 2:34 pm

Amelia Earhart - 1937.  I know they never found her but, seriously...

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/14 at 2:48 pm

Ditto for Glenn Miller in 1944 who flew across the English Channel but never landed on the other side.  Technically he is listed as missing in action.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/14 at 4:04 pm

and the mystery still remains the same.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/13/14 at 3:22 pm

Who thinks Glenn Miller is still alive playing big band on some remote island?  :)

I still ache when I think of Leslie Howard. I love him so much. It's a shame he got shot down during the War. It breaks my heart all over again.  :\'( He was so distinguished.

On Unsloved Mysteries, someone said they had seen Amelia get excuted on an Asian Island in the very early 1940s. They investigated it, but the results were inconclusive.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/13/14 at 3:32 pm

JP, The Big Bopper, Richardson, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens dying in a plane crash in 1959 is pretty tough.  They ranged in ages from 17-26 I believe?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/14 at 7:00 pm

Lest we forget... Knute Rockne.

http://www.rantsports.com/ncaa-football/wp-content/slideshow/2012/10/knute-rockne/medium/ss1_knute-rockne-dies-article_MITCHELL-ARCHIVES.com1_2.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/13/14 at 7:36 pm

JD, The Big Bopper, Richardson, Buddy Holly, and Ritchie Valens dying in a plane crash in 1959 is pretty tough.  They ranged in ages from 17-26 I believe?

and next month It will be 53 years since they all died.  :\'(

Written By: Marian on 01/14/14 at 6:05 pm

Kyu Sakamoto (1985) 4 females survived

Written By: warped on 01/14/14 at 6:08 pm

and next month It will be 53 years since they all died.  :\'(

Kyu Sakamoto (1985) 4 females survived

Sukiyaki was such a great song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/14 at 6:15 pm

Professional golfer Payne Stewart, 1999.  Airplane depressurized, and then ran on autopilot until it ran out of fuel.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 7:14 pm

Professional golfer Payne Stewart, 1999.  Airplane depressurized, and then ran on autopilot until it ran out of fuel.

What exactly happens when the plane depressurizes? I know it can't be like in the movies with folks just being sucked out the windows is it? But that's a shame. Any loss of life is a shame. :(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/14/14 at 7:38 pm

JFK Junior and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy and her sister Lauren Bessette all died in a plane crash off the coast of Martha's Vinneyard on their way to a relative's wedding.  The crash was thought to have been caused by operator error according to the NTSB, National Transportation Safety Board.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/14 at 7:38 pm

What exactly happens when the plane depressurizes? I know it can't be like in the movies with folks just being sucked out the windows is it? But that's a shame. Any loss of life is a shame. :(

Basically you suffocate.  Not enuf oxygen.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/14 at 2:19 pm

Will Rogers & Wiley Post in 1935.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/25/14 at 5:22 pm

Aaliyah and several members of her entourage and the pilot 2001 in the Bahamas.  The plane was thought to be 2-300 pounds over weight when it crashed at the end of the runway and errupted into a fire ball. The airline defaulted after this mishap.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/25/14 at 10:23 pm

Carole Lombard (1908-1942)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d1/Carole_Lombard_in_Nothing_Sacred.jpg/436px-Carole_Lombard_in_Nothing_Sacred.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/27/14 at 4:20 pm

Jenni Rivera, the mexican music star, died in a plane crash in 2012.

Ronnie Van Zandt and Steve and Cassie Gaines of Lynnrd Skynnrd died in a plane crash in 1977

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/14 at 7:44 am

The Hon. Charles Stewart Rolls (27 August 1877 – 12 July 1910) was an English motoring and aviation pioneer. Together with Frederick Henry Royce he co-founded the Rolls-Royce car manufacturing firm. He was the first Briton to be killed in a flying accident, when the tail of his Wright Flyer broke off during a flying display in the Southbourne district of Bournemouth, England. He was aged 32.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/16/14 at 1:41 am

Otis Redding was killed in a plane crash in 1967.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/14 at 4:33 am

President of the Republic of the Phillippines Ramon Magsaysay (along will 24 others) was killed in the plane crash in 1957.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/07/14 at 1:43 pm

Steve Fossett, the American businessman, and a record-setting aviator, sailor, and adventurer. Was on September 3, 2007, Fossett was reported missing after the plane he was flying over the Great Basin Desert in Nevada failed to return. Privately funded and privately directed search efforts continued, however, but after a request from Fossett's wife, he was declared legally dead on February 15, 2008.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/07/14 at 4:50 pm

And flying in a plane is safer than riding in a car. Hmmmph. Something go wrong with the car, I can get down and walk. You can't walk at 30 thousand feet.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/14 at 1:36 am

And flying in a plane is safer than riding in a car. Hmmmph. Something go wrong with the car, I can get down and walk. You can't walk at 30 thousand feet.

It's not about what happens when something goes wrong with the car.  It's about when something goes wrong with the driver.  Pilot error kills a few hundred people a year, and it's so rare that every plane crash is national news.  The roads have much higher body count per passenger mile traveled; driver error on the roads is so routine that your local newscast can only be bothered to give it 30 seconds of coverage, and only if it's a really spectacular wreck.

When a commercial aircraft goes down, everybody dies.  When people die in cars, nobody cares.  It's gotten better over the past 30-40 years - US traffic casualties have declined from about 150 of our fellow motorists per day (50000/year in 1980) down to just under 100 motorists a day (34000/year).

And speaking of cars vs. planes, the dangerous little metal boxes can't even go 500 miles an hour over land and water like the metal tubes can.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/23/14 at 5:20 pm

It's not about what happens when something goes wrong with the car.  It's about when something goes wrong with the driver.  Pilot error kills a few hundred people a year, and it's so rare that every plane crash is national news.  The roads have much higher body count per passenger mile traveled; driver error on the roads is so routine that your local newscast can only be bothered to give it 30 seconds of coverage, and only if it's a really spectacular wreck.

When a commercial aircraft goes down, everybody dies.  When people die in cars, nobody cares.  It's gotten better over the past 30-40 years - US traffic casualties have declined from about 150 of our fellow motorists per day (50000/year in 1980) down to just under 100 motorists a day (34000/year).

And speaking of cars vs. planes, the dangerous little metal boxes can't even go 500 miles an hour over land and water like the metal tubes can.

I see I'm doing the right thing, sitting in my jammies, watching Seinfeld and eating a salad. And allowing Evan to drive.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/23/14 at 11:47 pm

Travis Barker and DJAM survived a plane crash in which the pilot and co-pilot were killed.  Travis and Adam suffered second and third degree burns to 60 percent of their bodies.  The following year DJAM died of a drug overdose at the age of 36.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/24/14 at 12:24 am

Travis Barker and DJAM survived a plane crash in which the pilot and co-pilot were killed.  Travis and Adam suffered second and third degree burns to 60 percent of their bodies.  The following year DJAM died of a drug overdose at the age of 36.

I remember being particularly crushed when DJAM died. I was a fan of Nicole Richie at the time, and they were engaged, that was how I knew of him. Gosh, I was so unhappy.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 04/24/14 at 2:03 am

I remember being particularly crushed when DJAM died. I was a fan of Nicole Richie at the time, and they were engaged, that was how I knew of him. Gosh, I was so unhappy.

I think DJAM was still in shock over the fact that he and Travis survived the plane crash and the pilot and co-pilot of their plane didn't survive.  That would shock anybody. :( I don't think he ever got over it actually.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/13/14 at 10:32 am

Eight Manchester United F.C. players and 15 other passengers are killed in the Munich air disaster February 6th 1958, the players that died were;

Geoff Bent
    Roger Byrne
    Eddie Colman
    Duncan Edwards (survived the crash, but died in hospital 15 days later)
    Mark Jones
    David Pegg
    Tommy Taylor
    Liam "Billy" Whelan

Written By: nally on 01/14/15 at 1:53 pm

Peter Tomarken (game show host, of "Press Your Luck" fame) in March 2006.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/17 at 7:40 pm

On this day in 1957, a plane crash in Cebu, Philippines kills Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay and 24 others.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/18/17 at 7:06 am

In 1994 Rwandan President Juvénal Habyarimana died when a plane carrying him crashed. This set off the Rwandan genocide in which an 800,000 people were massacred.

Check for new replies or respond here...