inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hollywood star Shirley Temple dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 4:33 am

Breaking news

Hollywood star Shirley Temple dies aged 85, her family says

Subject: Re: Hollywood star Shirley Temple dies

Written By: 80sfan on 02/11/14 at 4:37 am

Wow! An icon for sure!! Karma for the info!

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/14 at 5:01 am

Wow. Another child star gone.  :-\\

At least we can watch her on Netflix.  :)

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 6:50 am

RIP Shirley Temple. :\'(

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 6:55 am

I watched some of her movies when she was a child. Very cute kid.
She was in some good movies as a teen too, "The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer: and "I'll Be Seeing You" among others.
She lived a long life of 85 years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLLSqpYyPD8

Written By: Dagwood on 02/11/14 at 7:05 am

How incredibly sad.  We were just talking about her at work the other day.  She was a great lady.  Rest in peace.  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/11/14 at 10:41 am

Reading the retrospective AOL News gave us, I saw a lesson all child stars should take to heart, clearly too late for the likes of Justin Bieber, Jonathan Brandeis, Amanda Bynes, Corey Haim, Lindsey Lohan, Todd Bridges and others to learn the easy way(or at all). At least when she grew up, she went on to do something meaningful with her adult life. Rather ironic that FDR once said "As long as we have Shirley Temple, we will be OK.", and the icon passes away in the middle of a terrible recession(Who do we turn to now?)! I was afraid my mother would break down crying when she heard.
Fare the well, Miss Temple. You will be missed for generations to come.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 11:12 am

Shirley Temple was America's top box-office draw from 1935 to 1938, a record no other child star has come near. She beat out such grown-ups as Clark Gable, Bing Crosby, Robert Taylor, Gary Cooper and Joan Crawford. How about that! Such an incredible achievement!

In 1999, the American Film Institute ranking of the top 50 screen legends ranked Temple at No. 18 among the 25 actresses.

She was absolutely adorable.
:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 11:19 am

I will always have a fondness in my heart for Shirley. When she was popular in the '30s, many mothers tried to make their daughters look like her. The thing was, my mother DID look like her without trying.

In 1949, Shirley was undergoing a divorce. My mother wrote her. I have no idea what my mother said to Shirley but Shirley wrote my mother back. It was a two-page letter that was very personal. When we found the letter, we were surprised at how personal it was. I saw the letter a long time ago but thought it was lost. When we cleaned out my mother's house over a year ago, it was found. We all now have copies of it.

To me, she was so much more than just a child actress. She was also an ambassador.

RIP Shirley. You will be missed.

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 2:54 pm

We have a bunch of Shirley Temple dolls that we are selling on eBay. We have had one up there that we listed, relisted, & relisted with no bids. Last week, I decided to lower the starting bid. By coincidence, it comes up today. NOW everyone is interested in it and so far, the bidding has gone ABOVE what our starting bid was BEFORE I lowered it. I feel guilty profiting off of her death.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/11/14 at 4:02 pm

My heart is extremely low and heavy now. I've always liked Shirley, even in her latter roles. One of my aunts was even named Shirley after her. I don't know what to say. Words simply fail me now and I'll spend sometime to make a tribute for her on my Tumblr.

I don't know what to say. Shirley has touched so many people's childhoods. She's trascended time to become one of the most well known and revered stars inhistory. I'm aching right now. I really am. I can't remember the last time I mourned a celebrity so.  :\'(

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 02/11/14 at 4:37 pm

She brought joy to countless millions of people around the world, especially during the dark days of The Great Depression and World War II. Her memory will be forever cherished, as new generations discover the charm and innocent beauty of her movies, from a time long since gone. We will miss you, Shirley...

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/11/14 at 6:06 pm

So sad to hear about Shirley Temple!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(  What a class act.  She represents an era that will never be back.

R.I.P. Shirley Temple.  Thanks for the memories.

Written By: nally on 02/11/14 at 6:47 pm

She brought joy to countless millions of people around the world, especially during the dark days of The Great Depression and World War II. Her memory will be forever cherished, as new generations discover the charm and innocent beauty of her movies, from a time long since gone. We will miss you, Shirley...

You're absolutely right... she'll be greatly missed in more ways than one. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/11/14 at 7:24 pm

Who will be the next Ambassador to Ghana? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:46 pm

Who will be the next Ambassador to Ghana? ???

I don't know.  ???

Written By: snozberries on 02/11/14 at 7:56 pm

My heart is extremely low and heavy now. I've always liked Shirley, even in her latter roles. One of my aunts was even named Shirley after her. I don't know what to say. Words simply fail me now and I'll spend sometime to make a tribute for her on my Tumblr.

I don't know what to say. Shirley has touched so many people's childhoods. She's trascended time to become one of the most well known and revered stars inhistory. I'm aching right now. I really am. I can't remember the last time I mourned a celebrity so. :\'(

I'd say I t's a toss up between Philip Seymour Hoffman & Richard Bull

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I just found out about this on Tumblr. I want to curl into a ball and stay in the dark for a while  :\'(

I've got to stop liking celebrities. They all keep leaving me.

Richard Bull

I gotta quit coming into celebrity heaven man.

Richard Bull...do you know how many daysI spent watching LHOTP reruns on TV--I STILL DO NOW!

I can't even express my hurt. I mean seeing someone like that all the time, its almost like you know them and you go to care for the actor and thier character. This is like losing my family member. I'm hurting.  :\'(
Tumblr triibute being made NOW.

Written By: Ripley on 02/11/14 at 10:46 pm

:\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/14 at 2:03 am

Hollywood star Shirley Temple dies aged 85, her family says

So I'll raise a glass of something non-alcoholic on behalf of my grandparents, all of whom she outlived, but to all of whom she brought happiness.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/14 at 3:40 am

So I'll raise a glass of something non-alcoholic on behalf of my grandparents, all of whom she outlived, but to all of whom she brought happiness.
http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/shirley-temple_6.jpg

A Shirley Temple Cocktail, an non-alcoholic mixed drink made with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine, garnished with a maraschino cherry.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/14 at 6:54 am

http://mentalfloss.com/sites/default/files/shirley-temple_6.jpg

A Shirley Temple Cocktail, an non-alcoholic mixed drink made with ginger ale and a splash of grenadine, garnished with a maraschino cherry.

I'll drink to that.

Written By: Marian on 02/14/14 at 1:55 pm

I don't know.  ???
Do we currently have one?Anyway,she outlasted another country she was an ambassador for.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/14 at 2:05 pm

Do we currently have one?Anyway,she outlasted another country she was an ambassador for.

You can check the website for that.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/15/14 at 12:20 pm

My favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKxY3neqqBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpqt3zgdYUw

Written By: Howard on 02/15/14 at 4:02 pm

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maf21jC8vQ1qhpmnao1_500.jpg

She looked beautiful as she got older in the 1940's. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...