inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Whip It" Guitarist Gone at 61

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/18/14 at 12:35 pm

http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/02/18/devo-guitarist-bob-casale-dead-whip-it

RIP.  You whipped it good.

Subject: Re: "Whip It" Guitarist Gone at 61

Written By: Ripley on 02/18/14 at 7:45 pm

This is sad  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 02/19/14 at 6:40 am

R.I.P Bob Casale.  :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/20/14 at 11:54 pm

http://assets-s3.rollingstone.com/assets/images/story/devos-jerry-casale-remembers-his-brother-bob-devo-was-a-unit-20140219/1000x600/20140220-bobdevo-x600-1392939150.jpg

I last saw Bob three days before he died. I talked to him the night before he died. Nothing was wrong. He died of heart failure, but that was the end result, not the cause. He had some kind of a breach of his stomach lining where he started losing blood into his stomach. They had to get it out of him and give him new blood because once blood is in your stomach, it's useless. They couldn't stop the loss of blood in time, so his blood pressure went so low that his heart muscle couldn't handle severe low blood pressure.

I think he'd want Devo to carry on. I don't know what's going to happen, though. If it was was up to me, it would. I'd make sure a portion of our earnings went to his children, because they need help. The only time Devo ever played without him was back in 1973 when we did a one-off before he joined the band. We were only four guys. Any future shows without him will be the first time playing without him in forty years.

I have no idea what the future holds, but what we had planned for the 40th anniversary was to go out live and play all the early, experimental songs we wrote that appeared on Hardcore Devo, the ones we had well before we had a record deal. We haven't played those songs in 40 years. Songs like "Mechanical Man," "Space Girl Blues," "She Didn't Know I Was a Midget." We wanted to show people what we were doing at the time by using the same instruments, really hardcore and raw. We were the White Stripes and the Black Keys in an era before those guys. We wanted to show people what it was like to actually hear whacked-out parts being played together. All those plans are on hold, though. We could find a way to do it because the songs were so minimal.

- Excerpted from an interview with Bob's brother and bandmate Jerry Casale, via Rolling Stone.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/14 at 9:20 pm

Sad to see Bob go!
:\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo163UjDb3E

Written By: ninny on 02/23/14 at 11:08 am

RIP Bob :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...