inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters star and Groundhog Day director, dies aged 69

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/14 at 11:49 am

Harold Ramis, who helped catch phantoms in Ghostbusters and directed Bill Murray to glory in Groundhog Day, has died at the age of 69. A leading light of 80s American comedy, Ramis had been suffering from autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis for several years.

Born in Chicago, Ramis worked as a teacher and journalist before teaming up with comedians John Belushi and Bill Murray for the wildly successful National Lampoon Radio Hour in 1973. The crew later branched out into film with National Lampoon's Animal House in 1978 and scored a worldwide hit with the 1984 comedy blockbuster Ghostbusters.

Ramis made his directing debut with 1980's Caddyshack, though his best-loved film remains 1993 Groundhog Day, starring Murray as a self-absorbed weatherman.

Subject: Re: Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters star and Groundhog Day director, dies aged 69

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/24/14 at 1:25 pm

As Egon Spengler himself would say, "This is extraordinarily bad."
No amount of positive energy squeezed out of New York is going to fill this void. As funny as "Stripes" and "Groundhog Day" were, my favorite of his directed films will always be Robert DeNiro and Billy Crystal in "Analyze THIS". If Bill, Dan & Ernie cross the streams, could that at least open the gate so we can still talk to him? This is a sad day for Children of the 80's and 90's everywhere. RIP, Harold. Who we gonna call now!?

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Subject: Re: Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters star and Groundhog Day director, dies aged 69

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/14 at 1:37 pm

How sad.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/24/14 at 1:58 pm

Sad day.

For me I will always remember Harold Ramis from the SCTV skits in the mid to late 1970s. Just hilarious.  I love his recurring character Moe Green.  Here's one of the skits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ShyYHPSrEM

When I started University in 1980-81, the security guard at the front of the University building looked just like Harold Ramis. When I got to know him a bit (stayed at school late doing Math and computer assignments...left the building often after midnight, used to chat with him on study breaks, so did many of us, he was a nice guy), a few of us told him he looked like Harold Ramis. The security guard knew who Harold was, so from then on when we saw him, we called him Harold.  :)

Thank you for your comedy, man.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/14 at 5:38 pm

Harold can now carouse in that big frat house in the sky, along with Douglas Kenney (Stork), John Belushi (Bluto), John Vernon (Dean Vernon Werner), Casar Denova (The Mayor), Robert Elliot (Mean Dude at the black nightclub), and Sunny Johnson (Otter's coed).  :\'(

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/14 at 6:05 pm

Harold was a funny guy  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/24/14 at 6:10 pm

Harold can now carouse in that big frat house in the sky, along with Douglas Kenney (Stork), John Belushi (Bluto), John Vernon (Dean Vernon Werner), Casar Denova (The Mayor), Robert Elliot (Mean Dude at the black nightclub), and Sunny Johnson (Otter's coed).  :\'(

Does that mean it's a curse?

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/24/14 at 6:15 pm

Cat

Oh No! Another curse!

http://www.peerfit.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/scared-makeup-gif.gif

;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/24/14 at 6:41 pm

Cat

Hard to say.  Harold lived to the ripe old age of 69.  Neither Belushi, Johnson, nor Kenney made it to 34.  And Sarah Holcolmb's story did not turn out so well.

But it's not like Green Acres or Hogan's Heroes where almost the whole cast has been wiped out.  So no, probably not a curse.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/14 at 7:09 pm

Cat

I don't think it's a curse.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/14 at 7:10 pm

RIP Harold Ramis, he was such a funny guy. :\'(

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/14 at 8:41 pm

So sad. :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/24/14 at 10:50 pm

We just lost another legend - very sad to hear  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Harold Ramis

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/24/14 at 11:38 pm

http://25.media.tumblr.com/ccc838c6f8c97211000157d3a6f7806b/tumblr_n1iifcRNwL1rhd1xfo1_500.gif
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkg5oguiVE1qj0e5wo1_500.gif
http://i.imgur.com/KBkztMm.gif
http://img.pandawhale.com/82119-John-Belushi-drinks-a-fifth-gi-oXFs.gif

RIP, funny star, funny writer, and all around funny guy.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 8:10 am

So I guess there's no Ghostbusters reunion?  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/25/14 at 12:12 pm

No Animal House reunion either.  I was always hoping for a reunion of the Delta House gang.

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/25/14 at 12:29 pm

I suppose Ghostbusters 3 still possible, except now the writers would have to make Egon the passed-away member instead of Peter, like they once planned. The problem would be scripting HOW Egon was lost, was it disease like in real life, or was he the first Ghostbuster to fall in the line of duty? I do kind of like the idea of Egon becoming a walking, talking version of Tobin's Spirit Guide. And while he could never strap on the proton pack like he did in life, perhaps Louis Tulley could finally become a full-fledged GB as he wanted. This only means one thing when they're out on call: either RAY now leads the squad, or he lets Winston do it, because of his Special Forces training. Either way, as long as there is fan demand, it could happen!

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 4:10 pm

No Animal House reunion either.  I was always hoping for a reunion of the Delta House gang.

A lot of them have passed away so there's no chance.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/14 at 4:17 pm

Why must there be a sequel? The first Ghostbusters was GREAT. The second one sucked. Very few sequels don't suck. And when you can't get the original cast for whatever reason, that makes it suck even more. I say they should just let any future Ghostbusters movie be buried along with Harold.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/25/14 at 4:27 pm

Why must there be a sequel? The first Ghostbusters was GREAT. The second one sucked. Very few sequels don't suck.

Agreed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/14 at 4:50 am

Why must there be a sequel? The first Ghostbusters was GREAT. The second one sucked. Very few sequels don't suck. And when you can't get the original cast for whatever reason, that makes it suck even more. I say they should just let any future Ghostbusters movie be buried along with Harold.

Cat
Just re-release the original!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/26/14 at 10:56 am

It's great to honor Harold for minor achievements such as Ghostbusters, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, and Analyze This, but I wouldn't want to see his Celebrity Heaven thread wanting for real classic Harold, like Armed & Dangerous --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjprIP5IKaM

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/26/14 at 3:27 pm

While I respect the opinions of Cat, warped, and Philip, one must bear in mind that the GhostBusters franchise was a benchmark of the sci-fi comedy genre, and many hardcore fans of it have been waiting 25 years for another installment. Why people are so down on #2 I still will never understand, considering it made me laugh, and wasn't that the whole point?
Still, just as there are still 'Trekkies' out there who will never recognize any generation of Star Trek but the original, and 007 fans who respect no Bond but Connery/Moore/Brosnan/whoever, there are those GB fans who will scoff at any attempt to reboot or 'Next-Generate'(N-G) the franchise. Fine, if YOU don't want to see a new movie, stay home and rent the original. But please, let those of us would like to see GhostBusters 3, if it ever comes about, go and visit that world with Ray, Peter, Winston, possibly Dana and Janine, one more time. In truth, after 25 years, I'm curious as to what new characters will be introduced, and can't help wondering what a 21st-century-CGI Slimer will look like. As for Egon? Let them do the same with him, and perhaps we'll assign a whole new meaning to the term 'Spirit Guide'.

Now, can we stop arguing and get back to paying tribute to our fallen friend?

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/14 at 6:45 pm

A lot of them have passed away so there's no chance.

They could always go with computer-generated characters.  A guy from my high school class won 4 OscarĀ® awards for special effects, and he's up for another one this year.  Maybe I could suggest an Animal House sequel, featuring real and animated actors, to him as a project.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/14 at 7:14 pm

from 1984.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/14 at 7:15 pm

They could always go with computer-generated characters.  A guy from my high school class won 4 OscarĀ® awards for special effects, and he's up for another one this year.  Maybe I could suggest an Animal House sequel, featuring real and animated actors, to him as a project.

That's a possibility.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/14 at 7:18 pm

While I respect the opinions of Cat, warped, and Philip, one must bear in mind that the GhostBusters franchise was a benchmark of the sci-fi comedy genre, and many hardcore fans of it have been waiting 25 years for another installment. Why people are so down on #2 I still will never understand, considering it made me laugh, and wasn't that the whole point?
Still, just as there are still 'Trekkies' out there who will never recognize any generation of Star Trek but the original, and 007 fans who respect no Bond but Connery/Moore/Brosnan/whoever, there are those GB fans who will scoff at any attempt to reboot or 'Next-Generate'(N-G) the franchise. Fine, if YOU don't want to see a new movie, stay home and rent the original. But please, let those of us would like to see GhostBusters 3, if it ever comes about, go and visit that world with Ray, Peter, Winston, possibly Dana and Janine, one more time. In truth, after 25 years, I'm curious as to what new characters will be introduced, and can't help wondering what a 21st-century-CGI Slimer will look like. As for Egon? Let them do the same with him, and perhaps we'll assign a whole new meaning to the term 'Spirit Guide'.

Now, can we stop arguing and get back to paying tribute to our fallen friend?

Your Pal,
Doc

Who is arguing?  They posted their opinions.  That is not an argument

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/14 at 7:25 pm

Cat

Why?  Because a sequel could be the next Godfather Part II.  8)

http://www.wix.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Godfather2.png

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/14 at 7:46 pm

I wish people would READ my post. I didn't say that ALL sequels sucked-just the majority of them.

Who is arguing?  They posted their opinions.  That is not an argument

Don't you know that it is an argument with you disagree with Doc.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/26/14 at 8:20 pm

I wish people would READ my post. I didn't say that ALL sequels sucked-just the majority of them.

Cat

Ohhhhh...I did not know that.  Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Written By: Doc Brown on 02/26/14 at 10:03 pm

Cat

IT IS NOT! :o At least not always.
I admit I can get a little heated in a debate, but that's only because some people who disagree with me feel more secure in their beliefs when they take cheap shots at mine(Not you, Cat). Perhaps 'arguing' was the wrong word to use, but please, don't let one overstressed comment diminish what I was trying to say in the rest of my message.

Your Pal,
Doc

P.S.: Those of you who are always knocking Ghostbusters 2 ? Try to remember, Harold, Bill & Dan worked just as hard on that film as they did the original.

Check for new replies or respond here...