inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Z-Cars actor Jimmy Ellis dies at 82

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/10/14 at 3:09 am

The Belfast-born actor Jimmy Ellis, best known for his roles in Z-Cars and alongside a young Kenneth Branagh in BBC Northern Ireland's series of "Billy" plays, has died.

Mr Ellis died from a stroke in Lincoln Hospital early on Saturday. He was 82.

He began his acting career in 1952 at Belfast's Group Theatre before moving to England in the early 1960s.

His first big break came when he was cast as Bert Lynch in police drama Z-Cars, which ran from 1962 to 1978.

His son, Toto, said it was extraordinarily hard to watch him die.

"It was sad to watch him slip away. The last words he heard were that he was a hero, a legend and we all loved him," he said.

Speaking about the funeral arrangements, he said: "We are taking him home to Belfast - Belfast meant the world to him.

"He blazed a trail for Northern Ireland actors, in that he was the first character not to change his accent. Dad was so proud of his roots and his beliefs."

Paying tribute to him, Sir Kenneth Branagh said Ellis had been "a great inspiration" to him and many other actors from Northern Ireland.

"I was blessed to begin my career working with him, and I will never forget his generosity to me. He was a highly intelligent, funny, and kind man, and a tremendous actor," he said.

Full Obit

Subject: Re: Z-Cars actor Jimmy Ellis dies at 82

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/15/14 at 3:14 pm

:\'( This is so sad.

Check for new replies or respond here...