inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Veteran Labour politician Tony Benn has died at home at the age of 88

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/14 at 2:57 am

Former Cabinet minister and veteran left-wing campaigner Tony Benn has died at home, his family has said.

The 88-year-old former Labour MP had been seriously ill.

Mr Benn became an MP in November 1950 and served in the Cabinet under Harold Wilson and James Callaghan.

A major figure on the left of the party, he narrowly missed out on the deputy leadership in 1981 and went on to be a popular public speaker, anti-war campaigner and political diarist.

In a statement his children Stephen, Hilary, Melissa and Joshua said Mr Benn died peacefully early this morning at his home in west London surrounded by his family.

Full obit

Subject: Re: Veteran Labour politician Tony Benn has died at home at the age of 88

Written By: danootaandme on 03/16/14 at 10:02 am

Condolences.  Tony Benn was one of the few non-Prime Minister politico's who were known over this side of the pond.

Subject: Re: Veteran Labour politician Tony Benn has died at home at the age of 88

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/16/14 at 12:52 pm

I thought they said Tony Bennett died! 

But yeah, I remember Tony Benn, he was a great politician.  R.I.P.!
:\'(

Written By: Howard on 03/16/14 at 3:05 pm

I thought they said Tony Bennett died! 

But yeah, I remember Tony Benn, he was a great politician.  R.I.P.!
:\'(

Tony Bennett is very much alive.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/14 at 1:04 pm

Buckingham Palace has been asked to allow the body of Tony Benn to rest overnight in a chapel in the Palace of Westminster before his funeral. Commons Speaker John Bercow made the request, saying Mr Benn's 47 years as a Labour MP had earned him the honour. If permission is given, his body will lie in the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft on 26 March. Baroness Thatcher's body rested in the chapel on the eve of her funeral in April last year.

Check for new replies or respond here...