inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US Navy veteran in iconic WW2 kissing photo dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/14 at 5:56 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/73597000/jpg/_73597396_73596670.jpg
Another angle of the events of 14 August 1945 near Times Square was taken by a US Navy photographer

Glenn McDuffie died aged 86 at a nursing home in Dallas on Sunday, his daughter said.

McDuffie's claim to be the man in the famed VJ day photo was supported by a police forensic artist's analysis.

Photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt took the image as the news of Japan's surrender filtered through New York's Times Square on 14 August 1945.

McDuffie had told US media that he was changing subway trains when he heard that Japan had surrendered.

"I was so happy. I ran out in the street," said McDuffie, who was then 18 and on his way to visit his girlfriend.

"And then I saw that nurse,'' he said.

"She saw me hollering and with a big smile on my face... I just went right to her and kissed her."

Edith Shain, who worked in a nearby hospital, claimed to be the nurse in the photo. She died in 2010.

Check for new replies or respond here...