inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Casey Kasem

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/14 at 10:45 am

http://news.yahoo.com/casey-kasem-king-top-40-countdown-dead-151007000.html

Can't say I am surprised because he hasn't been doing too well for a while now. The article didn't mention how he was also the voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo.

So, as Casey used to say, "Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars."

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Subject: Re: Casey Kasem

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/14 at 12:06 pm

He was the same age as Chuck Noll.  :o

Written By: nally on 06/15/14 at 12:49 pm

I knew he'd been ailing all this time, and that the end was bound to come sooner or later. :\'( :\'(

R.I.P. to a great radio legend. :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/15/14 at 1:07 pm

I don't like this and I feel that Casey was murdered. He was taken off of life support and quite literally starved and thirsted to death. I read an article that said he hadn't had any food or water since LAST FRIDAY.

I don't know how that comes from a place of love when your have a "loved" one and let them suffer like that. I couldn't do that to my father. He's a pain in my ass at times but I wouldn't starve him to death even if he were incapacitated completely. I wouldn't rush death.  Casey may have been out of if, but who's to say that poor man didn't feel hunger or thirst in his last days.  :\'(

Breaks my heart.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/15/14 at 2:08 pm

I don't like this and I feel that Casey was murdered. He was taken off of life support and quite literally starved and thirsted to death. Breaks my heart.

At the demand of his daughters, and he dies on Father's Day, at least they have to LIVE with a constant reminder of what they did!

I miss him too, not sure if I can ever laugh when someone says "ZOINKS!" again, but still, given the suffering of his final years, I think of Casey Kasem's passing as him 'moving up one more notch' to the one place we all hope to one day arrive.
RIP Casey, the music will play on forever, in your honor.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:23 pm

I don't like this and I feel that Casey was murdered. He was taken off of life support and quite literally starved and thirsted to death. I read an article that said he hadn't had any food or water since LAST FRIDAY.

I don't know how that comes from a place of love when your have a "loved" one and let them suffer like that. I couldn't do that to my father. He's a pain in my ass at times but I wouldn't starve him to death even if he were incapacitated completely. I wouldn't rush death.  Casey may have been out of it, but who's to say that poor man didn't feel hunger or thirst in his last days.  :\'(

Breaks my heart.

I guess his family couldn't take anymore suffering. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/15/14 at 3:26 pm

During the 1980's I enjoyed America's Top 40 on the radio before the internet. It was great listening to his voice and I'm going to miss him. RIP Casey Kasem.  :\'(

Written By: Stompgal on 06/15/14 at 3:59 pm

Just saw this on Facebook and what sad news to hear on Father's Day.

RIP Casey. You really made my childhood by providing Shaggy's voice in one of my favourite cartoons.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/15/14 at 9:36 pm

Can't say I am surprised because he hasn't been doing too well for a while now. The article didn't mention how he was also the voice of Shaggy on Scooby Doo.

I don't like this and I feel that Casey was murdered

Zoinks!  If only it weren't for those meddling kids :)

Everyone in the family seems to be a bit insane and at each other's throats over the estate, but if Kasem had really written, as reported, an advance health directive that read in part "If the extension of my life would result in mere biological existence, devoid of cognitive function, with no reasonable hope for normal functioning, then I do not desire any form of life-sustaining procedures, including nutrition and hydration." then his kids did the right thing by respecting his wishes.

(See, when you come out of those up-tempo goddamn numbers, man, it’s impossible to make those transitions, and then you gotta go into your own goddamn death dedication!)

RIP, Casey.  Your voice was the backdrop to multiple generations' exposure to pop culture, and that's the important part of the story.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/15/14 at 10:03 pm

He stated that he didn't want to be kept alive by artificial means.  With Mrs Kasem being investigated for elder abuse it's no wonder she lost custody of him.  She wasn't respecting his wishes not to be kept alive by artificial means.  If I had Parkinson's disease to the point where I couldn't function normally I wouldn't want to be kept alive like that either.
By gaining custody of him Kerri Kasem was allowed to fulfill his wish not to be kept alive by artificial means.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/15/14 at 10:40 pm

This is really sad!  A true legend, gone  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(    This regardless of how it happened...  :-\\

R.I.P. Casey Kasem - and thanks for all the pleasure I've enjoyed listening to your shows.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/15/14 at 10:51 pm

He stated that he didn't want to be kept alive by artificial means.  With Mrs Kasem being investigated for elder abuse it's no wonder she lost custody of him.  She wasn't respecting his wishes not to be kept alive by artificial means.  If I had Parkinson's disease to the point where I couldn't function normally I wouldn't want to be kept alive like that either.
By gaining custody of him Kerri Kasem was allowed to fulfill his wish not to be kept alive by artificial means.

My father has Parkinson's disease and he told me to try to keep him alive. (He hasn't reached the point where he needs life support) He said he won't have it on my consience that I "killed" him. I have a cousin who pulled her mother off life support--my aunt--and my cousin lived all the rest of her days until she drowned a few years later asking "Do you think I killed my mother?" My own mother was on life support for a spell and I didn't pull her off. (And I actually had other family members begging me to pull her off, too!)
My mother died but it was as Daddy put it "because God was ready for her and she was ready to go" not because I said pull the plug. And Mama did want me to try to save her.
(I reckon because I'm the only child, neither of my parents wanted me to be alone or leave thier spouse behind cause we're close.)
But if the Kasems respected Casey's wishes, then I guess they can sleep at night.

Written By: Doc Brown on 06/16/14 at 12:07 am

The ethical debate notwithstanding, I'm sure Casey would appreciate this storm of fond farewells, or as he would put it, "Long-Distance Dedications". His radio presence will be missed for generations to come.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/14 at 1:11 am

Zoinks!  If only it weren't for those meddling kids :)

Foo Bar!  Oh dear!
;D

Seriously, I listened to Casey every week on AT 40 from about 78-83.  My listening dropped precipitously in 84 when I got interested in artists who were not on the Top 40.  Casey was a superb radio personality with golden pipes.  He had a soothing and familiar kind of smokey voice.  He was never snotty or rude about the music he was presenting.  He just played the records and told amusing anecdotes about the artists, who cares if they were true or not.  He read even the most banal Long Distance Dedication for "You Light Up My Life" from Joe on the Army base to Debbie in Kansas in an earnest tone that made you kind of mist up and feel gooey inside.  The man had a kind of old-school broadcasting professionalism lost on blowhards like Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh.  All he was trying to sell was the records and he could get you to listen though those interminable Westwood One ad blocks to hear him on the other side. 

Now, my d-bag brother-in-law couldn't wait to jump on Facebook and post the Casey blooper reel (NSFW)* and tell everybody what an a-hole Casey was.  Was he an a-hole?  Yeah.  But I could care less.  Hey, Johnny Carson was a major a-hole and everybody knew it.  It didn't matter because it was SHOW BUSINESS.  Like Johnny, Casey wasn't there for you to get to know the real Casey Kasem via Baba Wawa.  Casey was the nice man who played the Top 40 records on Saturday mornings and it ended there.  I liked that. 

As far as the infamous blooper reel goes, it only made me like Casey all the more!  Anybody who has worked on the other side of the microphone wigs out now and again.  I can't tell you the number of times I've said to myself, "These guys are from England, and WHO gives a sh*t?  Just a lot of wasted names that don't mean diddley-sh*t!"  Casey didn't say any of that on his broadcast.  He was just sounding off in the studio.  So what?

Never liked Jean Kasem.  You remember Loretta Tortelli from Cheers?  Yeah, that wasn't an act!  I'm sorry if Jeane Kasem was a pushy bitch and took advantage of an old man, but if you marry the tall blonde bimbo, you take your chances.  Thems the breaks, and Casey knew it. 

So long, Uncle Casey, keep your feet on the ground, but keep reaching for the stars!
:\'( :\'( :\'(

*BTW, the Negativland rendering of the Casey blooper reel is still the best, though it is mixed in with a whole lot of other profanity-laced sampling.

Written By: holicman on 06/16/14 at 2:12 am

I loved him as the voice of Shaggy from Scooby Doo !!! so sad RIP Casey...............

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 3:59 pm

She just did what she needed to do.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:01 pm

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/-bYnqMWWZak/hqdefault.jpg

America's Top 10 (1983)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/16/14 at 4:21 pm

She just did what she needed to do.

Absolutely.  Kerri did what her father asked her to do.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:56 pm

http://usatlife.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/kasem2.jpg?w=1000&h=725

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/16/14 at 10:13 pm

Seriously, I listened to Casey every week on AT 40 from about 78-83.  My listening dropped precipitously in 84 when I got interested in artists who were not on the Top 40.  Casey was a superb radio personality with golden pipes.  He had a soothing and familiar kind of smokey voice.  He was never snotty or rude about the music he was presenting.  He just played the records and told amusing anecdotes about the artists, who cares if they were true or not.  He read even the most banal Long Distance Dedication for "You Light Up My Life" from Joe on the Army base to Debbie in Kansas in an earnest tone that made you kind of mist up and feel gooey inside.  The man had a kind of old-school broadcasting professionalism lost on blowhards like Howard Stern and Rush Limbaugh.  All he was trying to sell was the records and he could get you to listen though those interminable Westwood One ad blocks to hear him on the other side. 

This.

I love the blooper reel and the Negativland remix because they're a reminder that there was a real human being behind the perfect radio voice and delivery.  The goal may have been to sell records and keep the listener engaged through the commercials, but he knew that the key to doing so was to make it work despite some of the things he had to read.  Even on the blooper reel, if you listen to it with an open mind, you'll realize that his frustration's not with the dedication, nor Snuggles the dog, it's with the fact that the people writing the script, who placed the dedication at that point in the broadcast, didn't know a damn thing about music.  Casey's goal was to make the show work.  Advertisers don't buy spots if the audience doesn't listen.  That's the mark of a consummate professional, on or off-mic.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 6:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYK2H0ldbo&feature=kp

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/18/14 at 9:18 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDYK2H0ldbo&feature=kp

;D

Why is that funny? I think it is sad.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/18/14 at 3:48 pm

Why is that funny? I think it is sad.

Cat

Cause I never heard him cuss before.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/14 at 3:49 pm

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/casey-kasem-memorial-family-holding-private-service-after-his-death-2014186

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/19/14 at 9:22 am

Cause I never heard him cuss before.

I'm sorry Howard, but I just don't think hearing someone cuss is funny-and it doesn't matter WHO it is who is doing the cussing.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 4:41 pm

I'm sorry Howard, but I just don't think hearing someone cuss is funny-and it doesn't matter WHO it is who is doing the cussing.

Cat

I'm sorry.

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 4:42 pm

Just before I finished watching clips of America's Top 40 on YouTube, lots of memories! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 3:47 am

US DJ Casey Kasem is yet to be laid to rest held a month after his death due to a continuing legal wrangle between family members.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/14 at 6:20 am

US DJ Casey Kasem is yet to be laid to rest held a month after his death due to a continuing legal wrangle between family members.

Apparently nobody knows where Casey's body is.  His wife went to the funeral home to pick up the body and has not told anybody where it's at.  Nor does anybody know where SHE is at.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:50 am

Where would you put Casey?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/14 at 6:53 am

Where would you put Casey?

Well she could have had him creamated, or put into refrigerated storage.  Or, of course, buried at an undisclosed location.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/14 at 10:12 am

Apparently nobody knows where Casey's body is.  His wife went to the funeral home to pick up the body and has not told anybody where it's at.  Nor does anybody know where SHE is at.  :-\\

Not the first time that has happened. Eva Peron's body disappeared for 17 years. She was first buried I think in Mexico or some place like that, then she was buried in Spain. Then 17 years after her death, she was FINALLY buried in Buenos Aires-surrounded by the people she detested.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 10:17 am

Not the first time that has happened. Eva Peron's body disappeared for 17 years. She was first buried I think in Mexico or some place like that, then she was buried in Spain. Then 17 years after her death, she was FINALLY buried in Buenos Aires-surrounded by the people she detested.

Cat
Gram Parsons' body disappeared from the Los Angeles International Airport in 1973 where it was being readied to be shipped to Louisiana for burial. Before his death, Parsons stated that he wanted his body cremated at Joshua Tree and his ashes spread over Cap Rock, a prominent natural feature there; however, Parsons' stepfather organized a private ceremony back in New Orleans and neglected to invite any of his friends from the music industry

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/14 at 10:43 am

Cat

They did a pretty good job embalming Eva.  First she was on display for 2 years in her old office, and then was ultimately spirited off to Spain and buried (standing upright) under the name "Maria Maggi".  In 1971 when this was revealed, Juan recovered the body and brought it to his home in Spain, where he and his then-wife put Eva's body on a platform in the dining room.  :o

In 1974, Juan Peron bit it, and so his then-wife had both his body and Eva's shipped to Argentina where both bodies were on display (hers being 22 years dead).  Eva was buried in a very elaborate crypt with numerous anti-theft features.

Juan's corpse did not fare so well.  He was buried in a different location than was Eva, and in 1987 robbers broke into it and cut off his hands with a power saw. 

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:03 pm

Well she could have had him creamated, or put into refrigerated storage.  Or, of course, buried at an undisclosed location.

Maybe they could have him waxed. ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/19/14 at 6:04 pm

Maybe they could have him waxed. ???

How dies that work? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/19/14 at 6:40 pm

How dies that work? ???

maybe stuff the body with something but then again it might not be a good idea.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/14 at 9:56 am

They did a pretty good job embalming Eva.  First she was on display for 2 years in her old office, and then was ultimately spirited off to Spain and buried (standing upright) under the name "Maria Maggi".  In 1971 when this was revealed, Juan recovered the body and brought it to his home in Spain, where he and his then-wife put Eva's body on a platform in the dining room.  :o

In 1974, Juan Peron bit it, and so his then-wife had both his body and Eva's shipped to Argentina where both bodies were on display (hers being 22 years dead).  Eva was buried in a very elaborate crypt with numerous anti-theft features.

Juan's corpse did not fare so well.  He was buried in a different location than was Eva, and in 1987 robbers broke into it and cut off his hands with a power saw.

What didn't survive on Eva was one of her fingers was broken (I think her pinky finger). BTW, Juan's third wife (Eva was his second) was Isabel. She was trying to be a Eva wannabe but just couldn't pull it off. But, she did serve as V.P. like Eva wanted to and when Juan died, she moved into the Pres seat but only for a short period of time (I think less than a year). She was also arrested in Spain in 2007. She is still alive.

Ok, end of history lesson. Now back to Casey Kasem & American Top 40. 

Cat 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/20/14 at 10:27 am

What didn't survive on Eva was one of her fingers was broken (I think her pinky finger).

Her feet were also jacked up (as she had been placed in a crypt 'standing up'), as was her nose as her body was leaning forward against the glass coffin.  They fixed all of that for her 1974 showing though.

Kinda makes you wonder what she looks like now.  It's been 40 years since the last work was done.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/14 at 6:34 am

Casey Kasem's body is being moved to Oslo for burial, according to a Norwegian newspaper, amid a family feud over his remains.

Check for new replies or respond here...