inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: silent era actress carla laemmle passes

Written By: holicman on 06/15/14 at 6:39 pm

She lived a good life,passing at her home at the age of 104, she was the last living link to the american version of the 1931 movie Dracula starring Bela Lugosi. Her father was the famous Carl Laemmle who was a famous move producer around the era.she was one of a handful of silent move actors and also one of 2 or 3 remaining adult silent movie actors....RIP Carla Laemmle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2657584/Phantom-Of-The-Opera-star-Carla-Laemmle-104-dies-Los-Angeles-home.html

Subject: Re: silent era actress carla laemmle passes

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/14 at 6:59 pm

She lived a good life,passing at her home at the age of 104, she was the last living link to the american version of the 1931 movie Dracula starring Bela Lugosi. Her father was the famous Carl Laemmle who was a famous move producer around the era.she was one of a handful of silent move actors and also one of 2 or 3 remaining adult silent movie actors....RIP Carla Laemmle.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2657584/Phantom-Of-The-Opera-star-Carla-Laemmle-104-dies-Los-Angeles-home.html

So nobody from the cast of Dracula is alive? ???

Written By: holicman on 06/15/14 at 7:56 pm

Not from the 1931 movie which comes as a bit of a shock..........

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/15/14 at 9:34 pm

I'm wondering if that refers only to the credited cast. I think there were maybe a few child extras who would now be in their 90's and could very well still be alive, but I find it completely credible that the all-adult credited cast of this film that is now 83 years old is all dead.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/15/14 at 10:53 pm

SOMEBODY HOLD ME!  :\'(

No... Oh, I loved her. Now I'm really sad!

Written By: holicman on 06/15/14 at 11:40 pm

Ironically Lupita Tovar is still alive, she is 103 and was part of the spanish (and/or) Mexican version which was filmed at the same time, she was the female lead of that version at the time.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/16/14 at 12:17 am

Ironically Lupita Tovar is still alive, she is 103 and was part of the spanish (and/or) Mexican version which was filmed at the same time, she was the female lead of that version at the time.

Yeah, I was just checking out a bit about the casts of both films. The Spanish version was not really Mexican, as it was filmed at Universal Studios in California with the same script, set, and costuming as the English version, with whatever Spanish-speaking actors they had available at the time, which is why there is such a jumble of accents in the Spanish version. Most of them seem to have been Spanish from Spain, but as you mentioned, Lupita Tovar is Mexican and the actor who played John Harker was Argentine; there was no real regard for consistency of accents, but then again, it was the same with the English version, with a mish-mash of American, English, and even Irish accents, not to mention Lugosi's Hungarian accent, which is a departure from the novel where it is mentioned that Dracula speaks perfect English with almost no hint of a non-native accent. Anyway, it was fairly common for large studios to produce foreign language versions of films during the very early talkie era before dubbing and subbing had been perfected by the mid-1930's.

I haven't reviewed the Spanish version's cast in depth, but I found out that the English version's cast's first casualty was Dwight Frye, who played Renfield and died just 12 years after the film at the relatively young age of 44. Most of the rest of the cast seems to have died in the 60's and 70's. Bela Lugosi who played the Count himself died in 1956 in his early 70's; the last few years of his life were a bit rough as he fought drug addiction and didn't have the most dignified roles of his career. David Manners, who played Harker, lasted all the way up to 1998, dying at the age of 98.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 06/16/14 at 12:34 am

Damn, I loved Carla. She sure was a beautiful young woman and seemed like a very sweet old lady from the interviews I've seen.

Her legacy goes back further than Dracula. She was also the last living link to the 1925 version of The Phantom of the Opera. And the fact that she was a teenager at the time and not a small child/toddler/baby makes it even more amazing.

Written By: holicman on 06/16/14 at 1:14 am

I agree Mark, I shouldve referenced that but i think that the Phantom of the opera had no famous names at the time in it, but i could be wrong.

And for the record she had been verified as the last living link to the dracula movie of 1931. I had been following her on google for about the last 6 months.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/17/14 at 7:36 pm

I agree Mark, I shouldve referenced that but i think that the Phantom of the opera had no famous names at the time in it, but i could be wrong.

And for the record she had been verified as the last living link to the dracula movie of 1931. I had been following her on google for about the last 6 months.

Lon Chaney, Sr. was in this film. He was a BIG name in 1925 and is revered now as one of the pioneers of movie magic make-up. He was the Phantom in POTO, and also Quasimodo in the 1923 silent "Hunchback of Notre Dame" among a host of other roles.

As for Carla, I hate she's gone.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/a15ce739618e4c628fa281a48de5f7ce/tumblr_mtqr04UtVW1rdfgw4o1_r1_500.gif
I'll remember her this way.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/18/14 at 1:56 am

Yeah that's what I was thinking too.  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...