inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Teenie Hodges, Memphis guitarist and songwriter, dies aged 68

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/14 at 10:47 am

Teenie Hodges, the Memphis guitarist and songwriter who co-wrote the classic track Take Me to the River with singer Al Green, has died in Dallas aged 68.

According to a friend, Hodges died on Sunday from complications of emphysema after falling ill during a trip to the South by Southwest festival in March.

Born Mabon Lewis Hodges in 1946, the Tennessee native earned the nickname Teenie due to his diminutive size.

He went on to be a leading proponent of the so-called "Memphis sound".

Hodges played on numerous recordings for the Hi Records soul label in the 1960s and '70s and became an integral part of its influential house band.

Though not a hit when Green released it in 1974, Take Me to the River went on to be covered many times by such artists as Tina Turner, Talking Heads and Sir Tom Jones.

More recently, Hodges - the uncle of rapper Drake - worked with singer Cat Power on her 2006 album The Greatest.

He had been at SXSW to promote Take Me to the River, a documentary about Memphis's musical heritage and influence.

He was also at the Santa Barbara Film Festival in February to watch a documentary short about his life and career.

Check for new replies or respond here...