inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Johnny Winter Dies At 70

Written By: Claybricks on 07/17/14 at 7:32 am

Johnny Winter Dies At 70

July 17, 2014 at 4:51 AM (PT)

Legendary blues guitarist JOHNNY WINTER has passed away, a spokesperson has confirmed.  Reports that WINTER died in his hotel room in ZURICH, SWITZERLAND at the age of 70 were confirmed by a brief statement from spokesperson CARLA PARISI which read, "His wife, family and bandmates are all saddened by the loss of one of the world's finest guitarists."  WINTER played his last show SATURDAY in AUSTRIA.

Beginning his career at ten years old with performances on children's TV shows in TEXAS, WINTER started recording at age 15 and released his first album in 1968, then signed with COLUMBIA and released his eponymous first album for the label in 1969.  He played with his brother EDGAR until the latter left to form his own band in 1970, then with a band including RICK DERRINGER as "JOHNNY WINTER AND" and continued recording solo albums until his passing.  He also produced three Grammy-winning albums for MUDDY WATERS and was nominated for several Grammys for his own albums.

WINTER's next studio album, "STEP BACK," is due for a SEPTEMBER 2nd release by MEGAFORCE RECORDS, with guests including ERIC CLAPTON, BRIAN SETZER, BEN HARPER, JOE PERRY, LESLIE WEST, DR. JOHN, and BILLY GIBBONS.  He was scheduled to tour the U.S. with shows in the NORTHEAST, FLORIDA, and WEST COAST coming up in AUGUST.  A boxed set retrospective, "TRUE TO THE BLUES: THE JOHNNY WINTER STORY," was released this year, and a documentary, "JOHNNY WINTER: DOWN AND DIRTY," premiered at SXSW this MARCH.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/131534/johnny-winter-dies-at-70

Dan

Subject: Re: Johnny Winter Dies At 70

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/17/14 at 5:23 pm

His instrumental "Frankenstein" and hit "Free Ride" were as classic as they come.  8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/14 at 6:01 pm

I heard about it on the radio this morning.  He could sure play a mean guitar!  R.I.P. Johnny!
:\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 07/17/14 at 7:42 pm

His instrumental "Frankenstein" and hit "Free Ride" were as classic as they come.  8)

That's Edgar. He's still very much alive.

Johnny sang:

"Bad Luck and Trouble"
"Tribute to Muddy"
"Mean Town Blues"
"Black Cat Bone"
"Dallas"
"Leland Mississippi Blues"
"Highway 61 Revisited" (Dylan cover)
"Johnny B. Goode" (Chuckl Berry cover)
"I Love Everybody"
"I Hate Everybody"
"Fast Life Rider"
"Prodigal Son"
"Bad Luck Situation"
"Everybody's Blues"

RIP Johnny. Wow. Wasn't expecting this. :(

Written By: ninny on 07/21/14 at 5:19 am

Great guitarist gone to Heaven to soon. R.I.P Johnny :\'(

Written By: Goodogbadog on 09/04/14 at 11:26 pm

:\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...