inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Howards' Way actress Sally Farmiloe dies aged 60

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/14 at 2:42 pm

Actress Sally Farmiloe, who appeared in Howards' Way and had an affair with Jeffrey Archer during the 1990s, has died of cancer at the age of 60.

Farmiloe, born in South Africa, played a series of small TV roles before landing the part of barmaid Dawn in the popular BBC nautical soap.

But her relationship with Archer eclipsed her career when it was exposed in the press in 1999.

The novelist said he was "saddened" to hear of Farmiloe's death.

He added that she had put up a "brave struggle" against breast cancer, which she was told last year had spread to her liver and bones.

Farmiloe's husband and children called her "a warm and caring woman".

She spent the latter part of her life raising funds for cancer charities, publishing a book called My Left Boob which chronicled her experiences - with all proceeds going to charity.

Farmiloe was also in the process of writing a follow-up about her battle with secondary cancer.

The actress met the former Conservative politician at a party fundraising benefit after setting up an events management company when her acting work dwindled.

The pair's relationship propelled Farmiloe into the headlines after the affair was made public in a tabloid newspaper.

Writing in the Daily Mail last year, Farmiloe said she did not regret her relationship with Archer, but the reputation she swiftly gained.

"Overnight I acquired a new and unwelcome persona. I was no longer known as an actress and an intelligent woman with a savvy head for business. Suddenly I was a scarlet woman."

She added that she was suddenly "persona non grata" on the after-dinner speaking circuit.

Farmiloe's acting career encompassed a number of other small roles, including in classic sitcom Steptoe and Son and 1980s Jersey-based detective series Bergerac.

She appeared on stage on numerous occasions in London and national tours, including Absent Friends and When the Lilac Blooms.

Later on in her career, she played a number of roles in pantomime.

Check for new replies or respond here...