inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Glenn Cornick, original Jethro Tull bassist, dies aged 67

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/14 at 6:54 am

British bassist Glenn Cornick, a founding member of British rock band Jethro Tull, has died aged 67.

Cornick was the band's original bassist, playing from its inception in 1967 until he left three years later.

He had been suffering congestive heart failure and died at his home in Hilo, Hawaii, on Friday.

His son, Drew Cornick, said he had been receiving hospice care before he died. He said his father was brilliant and cantankerous until the day he died.

Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson also paid tribute to the British-born musician.

He said Cornick's contribution to the legendary band, renowned as one of the biggest bands of the prog rock era, had been "considerable".

Writing on the Jethro Tull website, Anderson said Cornick's broad knowledge of music helped establish the arrangements of the band's early material.

"Glenn was a man of great bonhomie and ready to befriend anyone - especially fellow musicians," he said.

"Always cheerful, he brought to the early stage performances of Tull a lively bravado both as a personality and a musician."

Cornick had a firm footing in the origins of Jethro Tull - as far back to the mid-1960s when the band was known as the John Evan Band.

He played on the band's first three albums - This Was, Stand Up, and Benefit - as well as their biggest hit Living in the Past.

After leaving Jethro Tull, Cornick formed his own band, Wild Turkey, and was later a member of Paris with the American guitarist Bob Welch.

Cornick continued to attend Tull fan conventions where he would "join in with gusto to rekindle the musical moments of the early repertoire", said vocalist and floutist Anderson.

Cornick leaves behind his wife Brigitte Martinez-Cornick, his sons Drew and Alex Cornick, and his daughter Molly Cornick.

Subject: Re: Glenn Cornick, original Jethro Tull bassist, dies aged 67

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/14 at 9:58 am

Glenn's bass lines were classics.

Glad to hear that Ian Anderson is still out there doing his thing.

Does anybody know if Jethro is still active? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/14 at 10:02 am

Glenn's bass lines were classics.

Glad to hear that Ian Anderson is still out there doing his thing.

Does anybody know if Jethro is still active? ???
The band's name was often supplied by their booking agents' staff, one of whom, a history enthusiast, eventually christened them "Jethro Tull" after the 18th-century agriculturist. The name stuck because they happened to be using it the first time a club manager liked their show enough to invite them to return.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/31/14 at 10:25 am

Heard about this yesterday. So sad.

I have always been a Tull fan. Saw them in concert a few years ago.  My sisters went to see them in '78 or '79 and they said it a a FANTASTIC show so I was expecting to be wowed. I hate to say this that I was disappointed.  :-\\  A lot of it had to do the acoustics (Mohegan Sun in Conn.) The people next to us walked out after the first or second song. It is bad that you pay money to see a performance to be disappointed.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...