inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singer Alvin Stardust dies aged 72

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/23/14 at 5:29 am

Singer Alvin Stardust has died aged 72 after a short illness.

Born Bernard Jewry in the East End of London in 1942, his hits included My Coo Ca Choo, Jealous Mind and I Feel Like Buddy Holly.

He had recently been diagnosed with metastatic prostate cancer and died at home with his wife and family around him.

The former glam rock star had been due to release his first studio album in 30 years this autumn.

Subject: Re: Singer Alvin Stardust dies aged 72

Written By: Henk on 10/23/14 at 3:25 pm

Only one way to respond to this sad news...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZzhOs7Zfc

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 3:27 pm

Only one way to respond to this sad news...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfZzhOs7Zfc

I think I've heard of him and his music.

Written By: gibbo on 10/23/14 at 7:44 pm

I always associate his 'My Coo Ca Choo' hit with Gary Glitter (only because they had hits on the radio around the same time and were both glam rockers).

Written By: Paul on 11/04/14 at 4:23 am

I always associate his 'My Coo Ca Choo' hit with Gary Glitter (only because they had hits on the radio around the same time and were both glam rockers).

Probably not the first person you'd wanna be associated with!

But more association than at first glance - both guys started their careers in the 60s, but found fame in the following decade. The name 'Alvin Stardust' was deliberately concocted along the lines of 'Gary Glitter' (much the same way as Fats Domino & Chubby Checker were) - Alvin wasn't the only one...some guy tried his luck releasing a single under the name of 'Larry Lurex', but wisely gave that idea up and carried on as...Freddie Mercury!

'My Coo Ca Choo' was cooked up in the studio and the guy singing it isn't Alvin, but Peter Shelley (not the Buzzcocks' man) - Alvin was dreamt up to put a strong image to a strong song...and it worked!

Genuinely nice guy though and tragic to see him go...

Written By: gibbo on 11/04/14 at 5:03 am

Probably not the first person you'd wanna be associated with!

But more association than at first glance - both guys started their careers in the 60s, but found fame in the following decade. The name 'Alvin Stardust' was deliberately concocted along the lines of 'Gary Glitter' (much the same way as Fats Domino & Chubby Checker were) - Alvin wasn't the only one...some guy tried his luck releasing a single under the name of 'Larry Lurex', but wisely gave that idea up and carried on as...Freddie Mercury!

'My Coo Ca Choo' was cooked up in the studio and the guy singing it isn't Alvin, but Peter Shelley (not the Buzzcocks' man) - Alvin was dreamt up to put a strong image to a strong song...and it worked!

Genuinely nice guy though and tragic to see him go...

Interesting info Paul.  Was that Peter Shelley of " I Can Help" fame?

Written By: Paul on 11/05/14 at 10:30 am

I only remember 'I Can Help' being done by a guy called Billy Swan - Peter may have done a cover, but if he did, I haven't heard it...

The only things I remember of his were the sickly 'Gee Baby' and the even-sicklier 'Love Me, Love My Dog' - that said, he did compose most of Alvin's early stuff, so it wasn't all bad...

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/14 at 6:26 pm

I only remember 'I Can Help' being done by a guy called Billy Swan - Peter may have done a cover, but if he did, I haven't heard it...

The only things I remember of his were the sickly 'Gee Baby' and the even-sicklier 'Love Me, Love My Dog' - that said, he did compose most of Alvin's early stuff, so it wasn't all bad...
Peter Shelley's son, John Southworth, is a Canadian pop singer-songwriter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/14 at 6:27 pm

I always get Peter Shelley mixed up with Clifford T. Ward.

Check for new replies or respond here...