inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: La Dolce Vita star Anita Ekberg dies age 83

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/15 at 4:47 am

Anita Ekberg, star of La Dolce Vita, has died aged 83.

A former Miss Sweden, she was branded a "sex goddess" for her performance in Federico Fellini's 1960 movie.

The moment where she wades through Rome's Trevi Fountain in a strapless dress is considered one of cinema's most iconic scenes.

Ekberg died in Rome on Sunday morning, her lawyer confirmed. She had been in hospital since Christmas following a series of illnesses.

The actress had been in a wheelchair for several years after being knocked down by one of her pet Great Danes, breaking a hip.

Born in Malmo, Sweden, in 1931, Ekberg was the sixth of eight children.

She said her father, a harbour master and a strict Protestant, was "the apple of my eye", although she later fell out with all but one of her siblings.

After winning the Miss Sweden title at the age of 20, she travelled to America where she took part in the Miss Universe contest.

Although she didn't win and spoke very little English, she was immediately signed to a contract by Universal Pictures.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30767431

Subject: Re: La Dolce Vita star Anita Ekberg dies age 83

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/15 at 12:13 pm

Rod Stewart must be bummed. He wrote "You're in My Heart" about her, from when they dated.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/15 at 4:42 pm

Rod Stewart must be bummed. He wrote "You're in My Heart" about her, from when they dated.
It was Britt Ekland (also Swedish and once Mrs Peter Sellers) the song was written for.

Britt Ekland can be heard at the end of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night".

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/15 at 6:49 pm

It was Britt Ekland (also Swedish and once Mrs Peter Sellers) the song was written for.

Britt Ekland can be heard at the end of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night".

Ah yes, all that "oohing and ahhing".  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/15 at 6:52 pm

Ah yes, all that "oohing and ahhing".  :o
I was trying to think of the best way to phrase it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/15 at 7:04 pm

I was trying to think of the best way to phrase it.

Back in 1975-1977 that was all the rage.  Women providing "background vocals" reminiscent of, uh, *romantic ecstacy*.  Like the backing vocals on songs like Andrea True's "More More More" or Donna Summer's "Love to Love You Baby", or even 'Rod' Stewart's "Tonight's the Night".  :P

Major Harris did it best, though, in his smash hit "Love Won't Let Me Wait".    8)

Check for new replies or respond here...