inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Billy Casper: Three-time golf major winner dies aged 83

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/15 at 1:07 am

Three-time major winner and former US Ryder Cup captain Billy Casper has died aged 83, the US PGA Tour has announced.

Casper won the US Open in 1959 and 1966 and the Masters in 1970, and claimed 51 PGA Tour titles between 1956 and 1975.

The PGA Tour said Casper suffered a heart attack and died at his home in Springview, Utah, on Saturday.

Jack Nicklaus was among those to pay tribute and said of the "underrated" Casper: "Those who did compete against him knew how special he was."

Nicklaus, 75, who won a record 18 major titles in his career, added: "When I looked up at a leaderboard, I wasn't just looking to see where a Palmer or a Player or a Trevino was. I was also checking to see where Billy Casper was."

Gary Player also paid tribute to his former rival, saying: "I played a lot with Billy, and I always thought Billy had a wonderful short game.

"He was always a thorough gentleman."

Casper was inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1978 and sits seventh on the PGA Tour's all-time victories list.

Check for new replies or respond here...