inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Louie Louie singer Jack Ely dies aged 71

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/29/15 at 4:18 am

Jack Ely, lead singer of The Kingsmen, who were best known for 1960s hit Louie Louie, has died at the age of 71.

His son Sean Ely said the musician died at home in Redmond, Oregon, after a long battle with an illness.

"Because of his religious beliefs, we're not even sure what (the illness) was," he said.

Ely's incoherent singing on Louie Louie led the FBI to investigate the famous track on the grounds that it might be obscene.

The law enforcement agents concluded, in a lengthy investigative report, that the song was "unintelligible at any speed".

Ely had a falling out with the band shortly after the song was recorded and later trained horses in Oregon.

Louie Louie was originally recorded in 1957 by Richard Berry, who had written it two years earlier.

The song is written from the perspective of a man who wants to sail to Jamaica to return to a girl he loves.

But it was Mr Ely's rendition that popularised the song.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32507885

Subject: Re: Louie Louie singer Jack Ely dies aged 71

Written By: nally on 04/29/15 at 5:59 pm

The song is written from the perspective of a man who wants to sail to Jamaica to return to a girl he loves.

But it was Mr Ely's rendition that popularised the song.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32507885

I always wondered what their song was about. R.I.P. Jack :(

Written By: Howard on 04/30/15 at 3:33 pm

R.I.P Jack Ely. :\'(

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/05/15 at 10:29 pm

He gotta go, man, he gotta go.

Written By: Paul on 05/07/15 at 4:34 am

The subject of a fascinating 'what if' scenario - if them Beatle-y things hadn't hit the US when they did, would this one song alone taken things in a different direction?

Awesome time to have lived through culture-wise - I wish I had...

Check for new replies or respond here...