inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 10:39 am

Hot Chocolate lead singer Errol Brown has died aged 71, his manager has announced.

Phil Dale said Brown had had liver cancer.

Hot Chocolate had hits in more than 50 countries worldwide, including You Sexy Thing and I Believe in Miracles.

Brown was made an MBE by the Queen in 2003 and received the Ivor Novello award for his outstanding contribution to British music in 2004.

Subject: Re: Hot Chocolate singer Errol Brown dies

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 2:25 pm

Wow, I loved Hot Chocolate, my favorites were "You Sexy Thing" Everyone's A Winner And "Emma", RIP Errol Brown. :\'(

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/15 at 2:29 pm

Good grief. Errol Brown was brilliant in Hot Chocolate. He wasn't a bad solo artist either.

E3fX2_bxEkg

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/06/15 at 2:31 pm

I saw Errol Brown at the time time he was making a comeback in 2001 at a recording of a television show, he still had his charmed and wooed the audience.

Written By: Paul on 05/07/15 at 4:31 am

Good grief. Errol Brown was brilliant in Hot Chocolate. He wasn't a bad solo artist either.

Well, basically he was Hot Chocolate!

Needed never to work again after 'You Sexy Thing' was laid upon the world, but it nearly wasn't! It was originally tucked away on the B-side of a single that flopped the previous year - it was only on the insistence of producer Mickie Most (the track was revamped and Errol ordered to sing the thing a little higher) that the magic worked.

Best stuff was in the 70s - 80s efforts were just water-treading, but RIP all the same...

Written By: Bobby on 05/07/15 at 5:07 am

Well, basically he was Hot Chocolate!

Needed never to work again after 'You Sexy Thing' was laid upon the world, but it nearly wasn't! It was originally tucked away on the B-side of a single that flopped the previous year - it was only on the insistence of producer Mickie Most (the track was revamped and Errol ordered to sing the thing a little higher) that the magic worked.

Best stuff was in the 70s - 80s efforts were just water-treading, but RIP all the same...

Yes, 'You Sexy Thing' got a new lease of life when it got remixed in 1987.

To be fair, I do like Erroll Brown's minor hit 'Personal Touch' in that same year.

eIIRcqPA1oE

Written By: Paul on 05/07/15 at 3:33 pm

Yes, 'You Sexy Thing' got a new lease of life when it got remixed in 1987.

To be fair, I do like Erroll Brown's minor hit 'Personal Touch' in that same year.

Not forgetting appearing in a certain film about a decade or so after that!

Nice enough song, fairly well remembered, but sadly he couldn't build upon it - not that he really needed to...

Written By: nally on 05/07/15 at 4:00 pm

Wow, I loved Hot Chocolate, my favorites were "You Sexy Thing" Everyone's A Winner And "Emma", RIP Errol Brown. :\'(

Those are the three songs I know from them as well.

Sad to see him go. :\'(

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/15 at 9:33 pm

'It Started With A Kiss' and 'What Kinda Boy You Looking For (Girl)' were my 2 favorite HC songs.  R.I.P. to a singing legend

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/10/15 at 12:24 pm

Errol also wrote and did the original recording of the soul classic "Brother Louie", whose cover version by The Stories was a smash hit here in the colonies.  8)

"Brother Louie" and "You Sexy Thing" came from a time when you heard real music on the airwaves, unlike today's dreck.  8-P

Written By: whistledog on 05/10/15 at 10:11 pm

Though Hot Chocolate did have a few hits here in North America, they never became the household name they were in the UK, despite You Sexy Thing being a song that every boy and his dog knows.  That being said, Errol's songs certainly did well for other artists here in Canada...

You Could Have Been A Lady was covered by April Wine in 1972.  It remains their highest charting song in Canada, peaking at #2.  It also made #32 in the US.

In 1991, a group called Bootsauce had a Top 20 hit with Every 1's A Winner, a cover that also earned them a Juno Award (our version of a Grammy) for Best Dance Recording.  This version was such a massive hit, I still hear it on the radio from time to time, whereas I seldom hear the Hot Chocolate original. 

Written By: Butterball on 05/31/15 at 9:19 pm

Hot Chocolate lead singer Errol Brown has died aged 71, his manager has announced.

Phil Dale said Brown had had liver cancer.

Hot Chocolate had hits in more than 50 countries worldwide, including You Sexy Thing and I Believe in Miracles.

Brown was made an MBE by the Queen in 2003 and received the Ivor Novello award for his outstanding contribution to British music in 2004.

Was "I Believe in Miracles" a song?

Written By: nally on 05/31/15 at 9:50 pm

Was "I Believe in Miracles" a song?

Too many people have mistakenly thought that was the title, as it is a frequent line from their song "You Sexy Thing."

Written By: Butterball on 06/01/15 at 12:03 am

Too many people have mistakenly thought that was the title, as it is a frequent line from their song "You Sexy Thing."

Thanks, that's what I thought.  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...