inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hoax death articles.

Written By: holicman on 06/13/15 at 3:32 am

In the light of the death of Gene Wilder going viral (which turned out to be fake) lets use this topic to bring light to these fake deaths that get posted across the media :)

Have a good day everyone :)

Subject: Re: Hoax death articles.

Written By: holicman on 06/13/15 at 3:33 am

Here is confirmation:

http://en.mediamass.net/people/gene-wilder/deathhoax.html

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/15 at 6:30 am

I saw the other day that the death of the lady who played "Blanch" in the Golden Girls just died.

But she died several years ago already.

Does that count as a hoax too? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/13/15 at 7:06 am

I saw the other day that the death of the lady who played "Blanch" in the Golden Girls just died.

No, it would be a hoax if it was fake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/15 at 11:38 am

Mark Twain: American author, was reported dead twice:

In 1897 when a journalist was sent to inquire after Twain's health, thinking he was near death; in fact it was his cousin who was very ill. Though (contrary to popular belief) no obituary was published, Twain recounted the event in the New York Journal of 2 June 1897, including his famous words "The report of my death was an exaggeration" (which is usually misquoted, e.g. as "The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated", or "Reports of my death are greatly exaggerated").

On 4 May 1907, when people lost track of a yacht he was traveling on, the New York Times published an article saying he might have been lost at sea. In fact, the yacht had been held up by fog, and Twain had disembarked. Twain read the article, and cleared up the story by writing a humorous account in the New York Times the following day.

Twain died in 1910.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/15 at 11:39 am

Alfred Nobel (arms manufacturer and founder of the Nobel Prize): in 1888, the death of his brother Ludvig caused several newspapers to publish obituaries of Alfred in error. A French obituary stated Le marchand de la mort est mort ("The merchant of death is dead")  and that Nobel "became rich by finding ways to kill more people faster than ever before" through his invention of dynamite. This distressed Nobel, who was concerned that when he truly died he would not be remembered well. This event led him to bequeath the bulk of his estate to form the Nobel Prize in 1895. Nobel died in 1896.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/19/15 at 4:34 am

Actress Lisa De Leeuw, probably best known for her performance in 1984's "Springtime in the Rockies", was reported to have died of AIDS.

However it was just a hoax so that she could retire in privacy, and she currently lives in SC.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/15 at 11:39 pm

No.  Rue has been dead for 5 years.
In fact she, Bea Arthur, and Estelle Getty all died within a year of each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_McClanahan

Written By: Howard on 07/27/15 at 1:55 pm

No.  Rue has been dead for 5 years.
In fact she, Bea Arthur, and Estelle Getty all died within a year of each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rue_McClanahan

The only person that is left is Betty White

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/15 at 3:17 pm

Abe Vigoda of Barney Miller fame has been the most reported on dead celebrity I've ever heard of in my life.  :) You can read the latest Abe Vigoda is dead hoax right here.
http://en.mediamass.net/people/abe-vigoda/deathhoax.html

The only thing with this is he's alive and well along with Hal Linden, Ron Glass, and Max Gail. 

Then there was the Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson death hoax of 2014 that took Facebook users to a phony charity page.  Dwayne was alive and well and promoting his new movie at the time.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/16/15 at 6:42 pm

The other day there was a death hoax story running about Betty White too.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/betty-white/deathhoax.html

Written By: Howard on 09/17/15 at 2:48 pm

The other day there was a death hoax story running about Betty White too.

http://en.mediamass.net/people/betty-white/deathhoax.html

That's scary. :o

Written By: karen on 12/06/15 at 10:12 am

What sometimes happens is on an anniversary of the date of death people re-read the original news items which then start 'trending' as popular news item.  People only skimming a news page see the headline but not the date of publication and post it as a new event.  (forgetting or not knowing that the person had passed away a few years before)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/11/16 at 1:03 am

Here's the latest death hoax article about David Bowie. 
http://en.mediamass.net/people/david-bowie/deathhoax.html

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/16 at 2:38 am

Here's the latest death hoax article about David Bowie. 
http://en.mediamass.net/people/david-bowie/deathhoax.html
It is true, not a hoax!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/11/16 at 2:38 pm

It is true, not a hoax!

I didn't know that at the time.  It was all over Facebook so I wasn't sure if it was true or not? It's a little thing called "critical thinking."

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/16 at 4:00 pm

I didn't know that at the time.  It was all over Facebook so I wasn't sure if it was true or not? It's a little thing called "critical thinking."
I understand.

When I first knew, the news was awash with reports.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/20/16 at 5:10 am

What sometimes happens is on an anniversary of the date of death people re-read the original news items which then start 'trending' as popular news item.  People only skimming a news page see the headline but not the date of publication and post it as a new event.  (forgetting or not knowing that the person had passed away a few years before)

Yeah, that happened to me.  A buddy on Facebook had posted that Dallas Taylor of CSNY had died.  After I made my obligatory post to the Celebrity Deaths section, I then saw that he had actually died a year ago.  :-[

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/16 at 6:48 pm

A couple of days ago there was a Sylvester Stallone death hoax circulating.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/08/16 at 3:54 pm

A couple of days ago there was a Sylvester Stallone death hoax circulating.  ::)

Did it mention in the fake article what he died from?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/16 at 5:11 pm

Did it mention in the fake article what he died from?

Drug overdose.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/08/16 at 6:42 pm

All sorts hover around the social media.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/16 at 7:28 am

Drug overdose.

stupid article.  ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 11/20/17 at 1:27 pm

It's been all over the web that David Cassidy died from total organ failure but it's not true at all.  He's out of his coma and he needs a liver transplant.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/17 at 4:39 pm

It's been all over the web that David Cassidy died from total organ failure but it's not true at all.  He's out of his coma and he needs a liver transplant.
The sadder news is was out yesterday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/19 at 10:39 am

Nowadays it is call Fake News.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/13/19 at 1:04 am

::) ::)  There's some bogus story going around that Dwayne "The Dog" Chapman committed suicide after his wife Beth Chapman's death from throat cancer but I know that Dog had contemplated suicide after Beth died but he's still got those 11 kids around who need him now more than ever since  Cecily, Bonnie Jo, and Gary all lost their mother.  ::) ::)

Written By: wagonman76 on 12/19/19 at 9:22 pm

I watched an episode of golden girls where Rose said “what’s going to happen when there’s only one of us left?” And of course Sophia snapped back “I’ll be just fine.” But weird all these years later Rose ended up being the only one left.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/04/22 at 10:48 pm

Here's the latest celebrity "death" hoax victim. Chuck Norris who is 82 not 80 and is alive and well.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/dont-believe-it-chuck-norris-not-dead.html

Written By: Howard on 12/05/22 at 2:59 am

Here's the latest celebrity "death" hoax victim. Chuck Norris who is 82 not 80 and is alive and well.

https://www.military.com/off-duty/dont-believe-it-chuck-norris-not-dead.html

Someone said on his YouTube channel that Chuck Norris has died.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/05/22 at 5:07 am

I watched an episode of golden girls where Rose said “what’s going to happen when there’s only one of us left?” And of course Sophia snapped back “I’ll be just fine.” But weird all these years later Rose ended up being the only one left.

Now there are no Golden Girls left. Even Herb Edelman (Dorothy’s ex) bit it years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...