inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Actor Omar Sharif dies aged 83

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/15 at 9:02 am

Actor Omar Sharif, best known for his roles in classic films Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago, has died aged 83.

Egypt-born Sharif won two Golden Globe awards and an Oscar nomination for his role as Sherif Ali in David Lean's 1962 epic Lawrence of Arabia.

He won a further Golden Globe three years later for Doctor Zhivago.

Earlier this year, his agent confirmed that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

His agent Steve Kenis said: "He suffered a heart attack this afternoon in a hospital in Cairo."

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Actor Omar Sharif dies aged 83

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/10/15 at 10:24 am

Beat me to it.

He was one of the few "Lawrence of Arabia" cast members left.

R. I. P. , Omar.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/10/15 at 11:04 am

We should be thankful that a heart attack took him quickly, instead of seeing Alzheimer's Disease(which he had recently been diagnosed with) take him in a long slow fade. I will miss him, truly sorry to hear that The Doctor Is Out.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/15 at 11:13 am

We should be thankful that a heart attack took him quickly, instead of seeing Alzheimer's Disease(which he had recently been diagnosed with) take him in a long slow fade. I will miss him, truly sorry to hear that The Doctor Is Out.

Your Pal,
Doc

Too true.

Written By: nally on 07/10/15 at 11:44 am

Your Pal,
Doc

Too true, as Phil said. I knew he had been ill; sad to see him go. :(

Written By: Howard on 07/10/15 at 2:26 pm

R.I.P Omar Sharif.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/10/15 at 6:19 pm

I had always hoped for "Lawrence of Arabia II" to be made but I guess that's a lost cause now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/15 at 7:08 pm

Loved Dr. Zhivago. He was also in Funny Girl/Funny Lady opposite Barbara Streisand about Fanny Bryce. (He played Fanny's (ex) husband.)

Cat

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/10/15 at 8:54 pm

I'm broken up about this. He was the only reason I watched Lawrence of Arabia.  :\'( All the good ones keep leaving.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/15 at 7:16 am

I had always hoped for "Lawrence of Arabia II" to be made but I guess that's a lost cause now.

But who could play Lawrence?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/15 at 7:54 am

Well, considering it was Peter O'Toole who played him the first time around...

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/15 at 8:27 am

With the film duration of 227 minutes, it covered all aspects of T.E. Lawrence's life, and as I feel there was no room for a sequel.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/15 at 10:37 am

I was thinking Adam Sandler.

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/11/15 at 10:45 am

With the film duration of 227 minutes, it covered all aspects of T.E. Lawrence's life, and as I feel there was no room for a sequel.

Well they could do the "prequel" thing like Star Wars did.  Or they could cover his post-WWI activities, such as reenlisting into the RAF under an assumed name.  Then joining the RTF under a different assumed name.

Or as I had suggested earlier, a whole different approach could be taken for the LOA franchise.  Cover it from a humorous angle with Adam Sandler playing a distant relative of the protagonist in modern-day Pan Arabia, helping moderate Muslims fight back foes like ISIS or Al-Quaeda, whilst engaging in all sorts of funny hijinks.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2c/fa/bb/2cfabbf01967c2ddd5b6c347fbf93114.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/11/15 at 6:04 pm

I was thinking Adam Sandler.

He needs to be more serious.

Check for new replies or respond here...