inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cilla Black, singer and TV star, dies aged 72

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/15 at 8:16 am

Singer and TV star Cilla Black, who enjoyed a 50-year showbusiness career, has died aged 72, police in Spain say.

The 1960s singing star became a popular TV celebrity on such shows as Blind Date and Surprise Surprise.

Born Priscilla White in Liverpool, Black changed her name to launch a singing career with hits such as Anyone Who Had a Heart and You're My World.

She made her TV debut in 1968 with her own BBC One primetime series and went on to host a number of shows for ITV.

News agency Reuters said police in Malaga said Priscilla White had died in Estapona in the Costa del Sol region.

The death appeared to be due to natural causes, but this had not yet been confirmed by tests, police told the news agency.

Last year Black received honours from Bafta and the Royal Television Society in recognition of her lengthy career.

A recent ITV drama series about her early years saw her played by the actress Sheridan Smith.

Her music career began while working as a hat check girl at Liverpool's famous Cavern Club.

It was there she met her husband to be Bobby Willis and performed along such acts as The Beatles and Gerry and the Pacemakers.

She was soon brought to the attention of manager Brian Epstein and released her first single, Love of the Loved, in September 1963.

The following year she released the ballads You're My World and Anyone Who Had a Heart, both of which went to number one.

She and Willis wed in 1969 and remained married until his death in 1999 at the age of 57.

A string of celebrities have tweeted tributes to the beloved entertainer, among them the actress Dame Joan Collins.

"I am so sad and shocked by news about my good friend Cilla," she tweeted. "She was a resplendent and rare talent."

Holly Willoughby, who took over Black's role as Surprise Surprise host, called her "one incredible lady".

Phillip Schofield, Piers Morgan and acting Labour leader Harriet Harman are among others to have reacted to the news.

Speaking to the BBC last year, Black described herself as "a lady of leisure" who was "living disgracefully" in semi-retirement.

"I'm going to enjoy myself," she told entertainment reporter Natalie Jamieson. "If it be in television then so be it, but I've had my time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33751060 

Subject: Re: Cilla Black, singer and TV star, dies aged 72

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/15 at 8:16 am

She will be greatly missed!  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/15 at 11:04 am

The death appeared to be due to natural causes, but this had not yet been confirmed by tests, police told the news agency.

I wonder how long it will be until they know if this was or was not due to fowl play? ???

Written By: Henk on 08/02/15 at 11:08 am

I wonder how long it will be until they know if this was or was not due to fowl play? ???

Fowl? Interesting choice of words there.

Anyway - this is sad news.  :\'( I truly loved her voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T2DERNmLP0

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/02/15 at 11:35 am

Her death appeared to be due to natural causes...

Written By: gibbo on 08/02/15 at 8:51 pm

This is sad...

They were quick to have ruled out foul play.Not certain what "natural causes" could kill someone in this day and age! People now live well into their 80's and beyond these days.  I guess we need to define what a natural cause is ..  :-\\  Is cancer considered a natural cause?

Cilla was one of my favourite English singers of that period (along with Petula Clark, Dusty Springfield, Sandy Shaw, Lulu and Mary Hopkins). She had a close bond with The Beatles.  My favourites of hers were Step Inside Love and It's For You.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 7:01 am

This is sad...

They were quick to have ruled out foul play.Not certain what "natural causes" could kill someone in this day and age! People now live well into their 80's and beyond these days.  I guess we need to define what a natural cause is ..  :-\\  Is cancer considered a natural cause?

Spanish police are investigating whether Cilla Black's death was caused by a fall from a dizzy spell, caused by a sudden temperature change in the room.

Black may have walked from an air-conditioned room in to midday heat, with the change in temperature causing her to become dizzy, the Sun newspaper reported.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out today, to determine the cause of death, but police in Spain have said "everything at this stage is pointing towards her death being the result of natural causes".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/cilla-blacks-death-been-caused-6185616?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 7:43 am

Cilla Black was ailing and "willed herself to die", according to a long-time friend.

Terry McCann said the star, who died at the weekend aged 72, told him she was losing her hearing and eyesight, and missed her late husband Bobby.

"The last thing she said to me was she was going blind. She showed me her hands, she had arthritis. She willed herself to die. She said: 'Bobby's waiting for me.'

"I wasn't surprised when I found out she had died," he told BBC News.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33758162

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 7:52 am

Liverpool's famous Cavern Club, where Cilla Black worked as a cloakroom girl, paid tribute to the star.

http://c.files.bbci.co.uk/1561F/production/_84638578_e3221de4-2b9a-47c5-90be-8a270c014d07.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 12:55 pm

Following the death of showbiz legend Cilla Black, the singer’s breakthrough track Anyone Who Had A Heart has re-entered the midweek Official Singles Chart Top 100.

The Burt Bacharach and Hal David-penned classic topped the Official Singles Chart in 1964 where it spent three weeks at Number 1 and went on to become the biggest selling female single of the 1960s.

Anyone Who Had A Heart is currently at Number 91 today based on sales and audio streams up to midnight last night, and is expected to climb further throughout this week.

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/15 at 1:09 pm

'You're My World' was her only hit here in Canada.  She did have 2 other minor US Hot 100 appearances with 'It's For You' and 'Alfie' but other than that, she was not well known over here.

I do like 'You're My World' a lot.  60s classic!

Written By: Howard on 08/03/15 at 1:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykd7172CUeA

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 1:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykd7172CUeA
:\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/15 at 3:20 pm

John Lennon called her 'Cyril'.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/15 at 8:46 pm

I am saddened by this she had a wonderful voice.  RIP Priscilla Maria Veronica White... Yes, I knew her nam, didn't have to google it. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/04/15 at 8:56 pm

So sad!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Cilla Black

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/15 at 9:01 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7-QBw862zk

Written By: nally on 08/04/15 at 10:41 pm

Spanish police are investigating whether Cilla Black's death was caused by a fall from a dizzy spell, caused by a sudden temperature change in the room.

Black may have walked from an air-conditioned room in to midday heat, with the change in temperature causing her to become dizzy, the Sun newspaper reported.

A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out today, to determine the cause of death, but police in Spain have said "everything at this stage is pointing towards her death being the result of natural causes".

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/cilla-blacks-death-been-caused-6185616?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Whatever the case is, it's sad. R.I.P. Cilla :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 4:38 am

Cilla Black died of a stroke after falling over at her Spanish home on Saturday, the coroner has confirmed.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/15 at 2:09 pm

Following the death of showbiz legend Cilla Black, the singer’s breakthrough track Anyone Who Had A Heart has re-entered the midweek Official Singles Chart Top 100.

The Burt Bacharach and Hal David-penned classic topped the Official Singles Chart in 1964 where it spent three weeks at Number 1 and went on to become the biggest selling female single of the 1960s.

Anyone Who Had A Heart is currently at Number 91 today based on sales and audio streams up to midnight last night, and is expected to climb further throughout this week.

Cilla Black cracks the top 40 as Anyone Who Had A Heart climbs up the chart.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/cilla-black-cracks-top-40-6200923?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 9:07 am

Cilla Black's body has been flown back to UK today a week after she flew out to enjoy a holiday, she was flown into Gatwick Airport this morning from Malaga, Spain.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/15 at 11:41 am

lla Black’s The Very Best Of has scored a new Official Albums Chart peak as fans continue to pay tribute to the star following her death last weekend.

The album, which finishes at Number 14 today, now marks Cilla’s highest charting album in 47 years, trailing 1968’s Sher-oo which peaked at Number 7.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/15 at 12:32 pm

Cilla Black is to be buried in her home city of Liverpool next week. The entertainer's funeral will take place on Thursday 20 August at St Mary's Church in the suburb of Woolton. The Right Reverend Thomas Williams, Auxiliary Bishop of Liverpool and former Parish Priest of St Anthony's, Scotland Road, will officiate.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/15 at 11:27 am

Singer Cilla Black died accidentally from a traumatic head injury after a fall at her home in Spain, a coroner has ruled.

During a brief hearing at Liverpool Coroner's Court, Andre Rebello recorded a verdict of accidental death.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/15 at 12:02 pm

Cilla Black gave her blessing to a West End musical based on her life before she died, her agent has confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33964581

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/15 at 5:52 am

The cortege route of Cilla Black's funeral on Thursday has been announced.

The family of the entertainer, who died on 1 August, has asked for anyone wishing to pay their respects to line the two-mile route using the whole length of Woolton Road as far as Blackwood Avenue.

They have asked people not to travel to Woolton village as the church is very secluded and the public will not be able to access it or its grounds.

The cortege will proceed from the road's junction with Church Road North. The funeral will be held at St Mary's Church at 13:00 BST.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 6:43 am

Fans, family and fellow stars have turned out to pay their respects to singer and TV presenter Cilla Black at her funeral in Liverpool.

Hundreds of people applauded and threw flowers as her funeral cortege made its way to St Mary's RC Church.

Sir Cliff Richard told mourners the journey to the church had made him realise "how much people loved her".

TV stars Paul O'Grady, Jimmy Tarbuck and Christopher Biggins joined her sons Robert and Ben in giving readings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/15 at 1:15 pm

Cilla Black has landed her first ever number one album, with her Very Best Of compilation, just a day after her funeral.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/15 at 6:33 am

Cilla Black to be honoured with star-studded tribute show with performances from close pals.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/cilla-black-honoured-star-studded-6302523?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/30/15 at 12:14 pm

I recall she was good friends with several of the Beatles - even performing with them at points.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/15 at 7:36 am

I recall she was good friends with several of the Beatles - even performing with them at points.
She sang her audition for Brian Epstein with the Beatles backing her.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/16 at 11:40 am

Singer and TV star Cilla Black has left more than £15.2m of her UK estate to her sons, according to her will.

Check for new replies or respond here...