inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: St. Louis Rapper Swagg Huncho Gone

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/18/15 at 2:55 pm

Saint Louis' own hometown rapper Swagg Huncho, of the popular rap-genre group "3 PROBLEMS" passed away on Sunday from a gunshot wound.

http://media1.fdncms.com/riverfronttimes/imager/u/blog/3049052/swagg_huncho_2.jpg?cb=1450216538

Swagg is the second St. Louis rapper killed in the past couple of months.  Back in September, area rapper City Stylezwas killed in what appeared to be an assassination.

The group 3PROBLEMS indeed seems to have been prophetically named.  Swagg is now gone, and another member, Rello Brown, is in jail on a 2nd Degree Murder rap.  The remaining member, Lil Tay, is at present alive and not imprisoned.  :-\\

Subject: Re: St. Louis Rapper Swagg Huncho Gone

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/18/15 at 3:39 pm

Can there be more rappers who basically get themselves shot by hoodlums?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/18/15 at 3:46 pm

This is part of the reason why I don't even fool with rap. (aside from the misogyny and objectification of women) Why waste money on an album or digital download, when they could get hit a bullet any time? Thank God the bulk of the singers I like are still alive. (Notice I said SINGERS and not RAPPERS)

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/18/15 at 5:40 pm

This is part of the reason why I don't even fool with rap. (aside from the misogyny and objectification of women) Why waste money on an album or digital download, when they could get hit a bullet any time? Thank God the bulk of the singers I like are still alive. (Notice I said SINGERS and not RAPPERS)

From what I have read, Swagg was one of those rappers who kept it real and lived his raps.  Which is probably why so many rappers end up on the wrong side of the grass.  :-\\

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/18/15 at 6:30 pm

From what I have read, Swagg was one of those rappers who kept it real and lived his raps.  Which is probably why so many rappers end up on the wrong side of the grass.  :-\\

You're probably right. Unfortunately. And what kills me is there's still kids out there that romanticize and want to emulate this type of behavior. It's frightening. I don't mind music with a message but when the message it to the negative, it can only have negative results.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/15 at 9:36 am

There's a whole Wikipedia page that tracks the deaths of rap and hip hop artists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deceased_hip_hop_artists

An astonishing proportion of the deaths noted were due to "shot and killed".  :-\\

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/19/15 at 3:24 pm

There's a whole Wikipedia page that tracks the deaths of rap and hip hop artists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_deceased_hip_hop_artists

An astonishing proportion of the deaths noted were due to "shot and killed".  :-\\

I peeked at that list and it's a crying ass shame. I mean it's a mess so many guys get tied up like that. I'm glad my folks kept me away from rap music as a kid. (I mean my fave didn't have the best exit, but at least his entire body wasn't riddled with bullets and he lived beyond his twenties.) It's shameful so many promising talented men are lost this way. But it's just a biting cycle....all about money and showing off what you have and getting with a bunch of women and it's just unhealthy the message it puts across. You can't take that mess with you and sleeping around leaves you open to disease--look at Eazy-E--it's just pathetic. The gang ties, the gang retaliation...these are not the kind of people impressionable children should be exposed to. I mean coming up, the only thing my mom squawked about my music was Michael Jackson grabbed his crotch too much. But she never worried about me hearing me being referred to out of my name, like some rappers do, or a whole lot of cursing. I'm not saying an artist can't curse, but it should not be a hallmark and foundation of their music. People are just making music for money now, it has no point or message or feel good vibes. (well, 3T does, but they're Jacksons, of course)
I just wish more artists would think about what they're saying and who's exactly listening to them.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/15 at 4:14 pm

I'm not saying an artist can't curse,

I just wish more artists would think about what they're saying and who's exactly listening to them.

There is a guy across the hall from me at my office building.  His absolutely favorite word is the F-Bomb.  I swear, he uses it more often than most prepositions.  All day long it is a constant barrage of "I told that F'in guy to not F-up the F'in job but that mother F'er F'ed it up anyway..."

He was ordered by the building manager to keep his office door closed due to all the fowl language. ;D

Written By: Howard on 12/19/15 at 5:48 pm

People are just making music for money now, it has no point or message or feel good vibes.

I miss the days when rap was fun and it had a message.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/15 at 1:18 am

I just read that Chicago rapper King Louie, inventor of the buzzword "Chiraq", was shot in the head yesterday, but survived.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/15 at 6:11 pm

Looks like sadly another rapper has passed away too soon.  Charlotte rapper Donkey Cartel was shot to death in a Charlotte NC shopping mall, after pulling a gun on some guys who he had a beef with.  A local cop ordered him to drop the gun but he did not, and instead pointed it at the cop, who then unloaded on him.  :-\\

http://myfox8.com/2015/12/26/armed-man-killed-in-north-carolina-mall-identified-as-rapper-donkey-cartel/

Donkey's parents were interviewed and said that he had had trouble with the law earlier (11 arrests in 2 years) but that he was getting his life together.  His Mom also said that he must have not heard the officer who told him to drop the guy, or else he would have obeyed.

Here's one of his rap vids:

N-R6mTd77bo

Check for new replies or respond here...