inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bee Gees manager and Grease producer Robert Stigwood dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/05/16 at 6:43 am

Robert Stigwood, who managed Cream and the Bee Gees before producing the rock musicals Saturday Night Fever and Grease has died at the age of 81. The Australian impresario's death was confirmed on Facebook by Spencer Gibb, son of Bee Gees star Robin Gibb. A cause of death was not immediately available.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35231056

Subject: Re: Bee Gees manager and Grease producer Robert Stigwood dies

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/05/16 at 11:34 am

There's not too many of the Bee Gees left. I'm guessing there will be no more albums.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 01/05/16 at 3:10 pm

There's not too many of the Bee Gees left. I'm guessing there will be no more albums.  :-\\

There's one more Bee Gee left.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/05/16 at 6:24 pm

There's one more Bee Gee left.

Let's hope that Barry keeps 'Stayin' Alive'.

Written By: whistledog on 01/05/16 at 10:10 pm

R.I.P. to a music legend!

RSO (Robert Stigwood Organization) Records became one of the most successful record labels of the late 1970s when the soundtracks to the films 'Saturday Night Fever' and 'Grease' were the Top 2 best selling albums in the US of 1978.  That same year, they almost got crippled by the production of 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band', but when 'Spirits Having Flown' by The Bee Gees topped the charts in 1979 and produced 3 US #1 singles, it, along with the 1980 soundtrack to 'Fame' sort of saved them.

RSO released the soundtracks to 'The Empire Strikes Back' and 'Return of the Jedi' and also did the 1980 Star Wars holiday album 'Christmas in the Stars' by Meco.  Interesting story:  There were plans for a 'Christmas in the Stars 2', but when Stigwwood and RSO got sued by the Bee Gees claiming mismanagement, it did cripple them and the label eventually folded in 1983.

Written By: gibbo on 01/06/16 at 12:32 am

The only B in the G's is still alive.  Barry was out here in his old home town recently to look over a Bee Gee's 'Walk of Fame' that was built over the past few years. I had a look and it has some cool early pics of the trio.

Written By: Howard on 01/06/16 at 2:46 pm

Let's hope that Barry keeps 'Stayin' Alive'.

He'll be 70 this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...