inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: David Bowie, 69 giving his final concert in heaven

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/16 at 1:09 am

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/david-bowie-dead-legendary-artist-854364

RIP  he was 69...it was cancer.... according to the hollywood reporter

Subject: Re: David Bowie, 69 giving his final concert in heaven

Written By: gibbo on 01/11/16 at 1:25 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

Bowie was the absolute greatest. He was so innovative back in the day ... and for many years after 'the day'. The Berlin years were stunning.  I'd better go listen to my greatest hits cd. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/16 at 2:38 am

I have just woken up, and I am deeply saddened by this news.

The starman is no longer waiting in the sky.

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/11/16 at 3:45 am

R.I.P.  :\'( a LEGEND

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/16 at 4:01 am

So poignant that on his latest and last album there is a track called "Lazarus".

y-JqH1M4Ya8

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/11/16 at 4:02 am

So sad right now, listening to "Modern Love" and crying...  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/16 at 4:47 am

He just released an album the other day. I wonder how much unreleased stuff he had stashed away in the vaults?  We can probably look forward to new releases for years to come.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/11/16 at 4:56 am

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! :\'( :o  I'm just shocked.... I can't believe this. :( :\'(

Written By: #Infinity on 01/11/16 at 5:09 am

This gives his most recent album a pretty chilling place in history.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/16 at 5:21 am

This gives his most recent album a pretty chilling place in history.  :o

It will probably go platinum.

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/11/16 at 5:42 am

I was having a good day until I heard about this.  :\'(

RIP, brave and talented David.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/11/16 at 5:49 am

At least he stayed alive enough to make his last album. No joke. Always was a fan of Changes.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/11/16 at 9:56 am

Check ignition, and may God's love be with you...
http://images5.fanpop.com/image/photos/26000000/ziggy-stardust-ziggy-stardust-26038216-444-605.jpg

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/16 at 12:45 pm

I read about this when I turned on the computer. I must say that I am shocked. He was definitely a legend.  Of course my favorite of his is Space Oddity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYYRH4apXDo

I wonder what kind of cancer he had. Man, he died 2 days after his birthday.

I didn't realize that he shared his birthday with Elvis (and my sister-in-law) but I knew he shared his name with Davy Jones.

He will be missed.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/11/16 at 12:51 pm

I read about this when I turned on the computer. I must say that I am shocked. He was definitely a legend.  Of course my favorite of his is Space Oddity.

He will be missed.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

I sympathize with you, Cat. "Labyrinth" was one of my favorite 80's movies, and the songs were fantastic.
Personally I'd like to see his coffin launched into space. What could be more fitting than for David to eternally be...
"Floating in a tin can... Far above the world" ?
Sometimes you just don't realize how much you would miss someone until they're actually gone.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/16 at 12:55 pm

I sympathize with you, Cat. "Labyrinth" was one of my favorite 80's movies, and the songs were fantastic.
Personally I'd like to see his coffin launched into space. What could be more fitting than for David to eternally be...
"Floating in a tin can... Far above the world" ?
Sometimes you just don't realize how much you would miss someone until they're actually gone.

Your Pal,
Doc

Labyrinth was a good movie. Haven't seen that in a long time. Maybe it is time to watch it again.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/11/16 at 1:46 pm

I have just woken up, and I am deeply saddened by this news.

The starman is no longer waiting in the sky.

I saw a brief report about it in the newspaper this morning. So sad. :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

And he'd just had his birthday this past Friday.

I had no idea he'd been battling cancer. Fbleep cancer!

Written By: Ripley on 01/11/16 at 2:02 pm

Sad indeed. He was a legend. My favorite song of his is "Let's Dance"

Written By: Howard on 01/11/16 at 3:16 pm

I came downstairs, turned on the computer to look at the latest news and then I saw this, R.I.P. to such a fabulous singer and entertainer throughout the 80's.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 01/11/16 at 3:18 pm

Sad indeed. He was a legend. My favorite song of his is "Let's Dance"

My favorite too.  :\'(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/11/16 at 4:56 pm

So poignant that on his latest and last album there is a track called "Lazarus".

y-JqH1M4Ya8

The theory is that it was his way of saying goodbye to his fans.

Written By: Indy Gent on 01/11/16 at 5:02 pm

I read about Bowie with deep shock and sadness. And to think he died two days after his birthday. Even if you weren't a big fan, you respected his showmanship and music. He'll be missed for sure.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/11/16 at 5:32 pm

This makes me really sad - I grew up with David Bowie.  One more video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQo6zpVzt8

:\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. David Bowie

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/11/16 at 7:20 pm

David with Michael...

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/prod/2009/07/01/WE00288941/562796/Anon1246465920-MichaelJacksonDavidBowiePicture863949_lg.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/11/16 at 9:34 pm

http://i.imgur.com/EQ4qAIg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jVzCsjZ.jpg

RIP, and thanks for the music, Major Tom, you space oddity, you.

If there's a God, It has good taste in music, because It listens to Motorhead and Bowie, while leaving us to listen to Bieber and Cyrus. (20 years from now, someone is going to have a lot of fun making me look stupid with that quote.)

Written By: meesa on 01/11/16 at 11:04 pm

Watched Labyrinth w/some friends tonight. Man, hard to believe he is gone.

Still have Rebel Rebel, Starman, Young Americans, The Man Who Sold the World, Space Oddity and others on my playlist. I added Blackstar on Friday but haven't gotten all through it yet.

If there are such things as Alien life forms, David was definitely one. I don't -quite- believe he is dead yet. I think it is possible they came and took him back home.

Can't help but think if he is dead, and I am not ready to admit that, but if he is-Freddy and David are having one hell of a reunion tour together. Somewhere.

Written By: holicman on 01/12/16 at 1:12 am

Im absolutely shattered by this as are alot of people I know and the tributes around the world just show what a musical Icon he was and what his music meant to the world :(

RIP David Bowie.

IF you are a massive Bowie fan like myself, please check out this facebook page that is a running shrine by fans across the world where you can see songs,special performances, Interviews and documentaries on this great man.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441385662729794/

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/12/16 at 2:41 am

Did you see the tribute video that the crew from the International Space Station did?  It was awe-inspiring in it's own right.

I have my Bowie music videos DVD boxed set packed away, or I'd be watching them instead of posting here.  I guess that's what they make Youtube for.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/16 at 5:27 am

Here's a pic of David with Bing Crosby, "The Old Groaner" singing Christmas carols...

http://static.celebuzz.com/uploads/2012/12/05/David-Bowie-Bing-Crosby-617x389.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/16 at 9:42 am

A David Bowie memorial concert is to be held at New York's Carnegie Hall on 31 March. The Music of David Bowie was originally billed as a tribute show featuring his songs, but organisers changed it to a memorial in the wake of his death. Bowie producer Tony Visconti's house band will perform, along with artists including Cyndi Lauper.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35289998

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/12/16 at 12:28 pm

A petition has been launched calling on God to bring David Bowie back to life.

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/petition-launched-calling-on-god-to-bring-david-bowie-back-to-life-a3154676.html

Written By: Howard on 01/12/16 at 2:53 pm

The theory is that it was his way of saying goodbye to his fans.

that video is too creepy.  :o :(

Written By: Howard on 01/12/16 at 2:56 pm

A petition has been launched calling on God to bring David Bowie back to life.

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/petition-launched-calling-on-god-to-bring-david-bowie-back-to-life-a3154676.html

Why would they want to bring him back?  ::)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/12/16 at 7:34 pm

My Way (David Bowie Version)

What can I say that hasn't already been said? RIP  :\'(

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/13/16 at 6:13 am

My own plea to God on this is 'Please, God, give David back to us and take Justin Bieber instead'.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/13/16 at 2:32 pm

My own plea to God on this is 'Please, God, give David back to us and take Justin Bieber instead'.

Perish the thought. Justin has been preparing his whole life to take up the mantle from David.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/16 at 3:00 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/14/arts/music/david-bowie-iggy-pop.html?_r=0

Written By: Howard on 01/13/16 at 3:01 pm

I wish that could happen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/16 at 3:04 pm

I am not wishing death on anyone!

Written By: Howard on 01/13/16 at 3:56 pm

same here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/16 at 3:58 pm

I wish that could happen.

same here.
Then why did you wish it to happen?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 6:00 am

David Bowie's body has been privately cremated in New York, according to reports. The cremation took place soon after his death, avoiding a funeral service for the star who closely guarded his privacy in his final years. In line with his wishes, no family or friends were present at the ceremony, the Daily Mirror reported. A publicist for the singer told the BBC they were "neither confirming nor denying" the story.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/16 at 8:34 am

It is worth noting that it was today fifty years ago that David Jones changed his name to David Bowie to avoid confusion with Davy Jones from The Monkees, just in time for the release of his single, 'Can't Help Thinking About Me'. He would later say that he chose "Bowie" because he liked that "big American bear-killin' knife."

Written By: Howard on 01/14/16 at 3:39 pm

Then why did you wish it to happen?

I guess I was having a moment. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/16 at 5:33 pm

David Bowie's body has been privately cremated in New York, according to reports. The cremation took place soon after his death, avoiding a funeral service for the star who closely guarded his privacy in his final years. In line with his wishes, no family or friends were present at the ceremony, the Daily Mirror reported. A publicist for the singer told the BBC they were "neither confirming nor denying" the story.

Sounds like maybe they were not so "Golden Years".  :-\\

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/14/16 at 9:27 pm

Cremated? Fine. Now when is the next time we rotate the crew of the International Space Station? David's ashes should be jettisoned as close to Mars as possible, to the strains of his greatest hits. Preferably beginning with "Space Oddity", but in keeping with the tone, "As The World Falls" must be included.

Your Pal,
Doc

:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/16 at 11:48 am

Nineteen of David Bowie's albums have entered the UK album charts, after fans sought out his classic hits in the wake of his death. His new album, Blackstar, reached number one, selling almost 150,000 copies since its release last week. It had already been on course to top the charts before news of his death was announced on Monday, said the Official Charts Company. Thirteen Bowie tracks also entered the top 100, led by Heroes at number 11. Life On Mars, Starman, Let's Dance and Space Oddity also re-entered the top 40.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/16 at 3:02 pm

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtOy4lAtkzA2n4QbuH2W_hwKKCGz8RdB6PUrhw5JeAumNPG5-t

Written By: whistledog on 01/18/16 at 4:02 am

Nineteen of David Bowie's albums have entered the UK album charts, after fans sought out his classic hits in the wake of his death. His new album, Blackstar, reached number one, selling almost 150,000 copies since its release last week. It had already been on course to top the charts before news of his death was announced on Monday, said the Official Charts Company. Thirteen Bowie tracks also entered the top 100, led by Heroes at number 11. Life On Mars, Starman, Let's Dance and Space Oddity also re-entered the top 40.

I am curious if this will emulate in the US/Canada chart.  I had heard a bunch of his albums were selling like hotcakes on US iTunes charts

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/16 at 8:35 am

I am curious if this will emulate in the US/Canada chart.  I had heard a bunch of his albums were selling like hotcakes on US iTunes charts
David Bowie has reached number one in the American album charts for the first time with Blackstar, released two days before his death on 10 January. It sold the equivalent of 181,000 albums knocking Adele's 25 off the top spot. His highest-charting US album previously had been The Next Day, which peaked at number two in 2013.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/16 at 3:12 pm

David Bowie has reached number one in the American album charts for the first time with Blackstar, released two days before his death on 10 January. It sold the equivalent of 181,000 albums knocking Adele's 25 off the top spot. His highest-charting US album previously had been The Next Day, which peaked at number two in 2013.

That's amazing.  :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/16 at 5:34 pm

It's the old adage - nothing can boost a rock star's career like dying.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/16 at 12:03 pm

Angie Bowie has left the Celebrity Big Brother house, with Channel 5 saying she had been unwell for several days.

The ex-wife of David Bowie had been shown packing a bag on Monday night and demanding to follow US producer David Gest as he left the programme, again due to medical reasons.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/20/16 at 6:18 am

Almost 5,000 people have signed a petition to stop Kanye West from recording a David Bowie tribute album.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52800.0

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/20/16 at 2:36 pm

Almost 5,000 people have signed a petition to stop Kanye West from recording a David Bowie tribute album.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=52800.0

Where do I go to sign?

Written By: whistledog on 01/21/16 at 4:57 am

The song Lazarus from Bowie's new album Blackstar has debuted at #14 in Canada and #40 in the US.  This marks Bowie's first Top 40 hit in the US since Never Let Me Down in 1987 and his first Top 40 hit in Canada since a re-chart of the Bing Crosby duet Peace on Earth / Little Drummer Boy in 2006.  (To get technical, it is his first original Top 40 hit in Canada since Jump They Say in 1993)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 7:06 am

New York has officially designated 20 January as David Bowie Day, in honour of the musician who died earlier this month.

The British singer spent much of his later life in New York, settling in the city permanently in 1992.

A proclamation was issued by the Mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio and an announcement was given at the final performance of Bowie's musical Lazarus, at the New York Theatre Workshop, on Wednesday evening.

“In an iconic city like New York, it is only fitting to celebrate the life of David Bowie, a global icon who made New York his home," said Luis Castro, on behalf or the mayor's office.

"New Yorkers aversion to the status quo has become one of our trademarks, and it is this affinity for the new and the fresh that made us a fitting second home for the king of reinvention himself," the proclamation states.

Written By: Howard on 01/21/16 at 4:04 pm

New York has officially designated 20 January as David Bowie Day, in honour of the musician who died earlier this month.

The British singer spent much of his later life in New York, settling in the city permanently in 1992.

A proclamation was issued by the Mayor of New York, Bill de Blasio and an announcement was given at the final performance of Bowie's musical Lazarus, at the New York Theatre Workshop, on Wednesday evening.

“In an iconic city like New York, it is only fitting to celebrate the life of David Bowie, a global icon who made New York his home," said Luis Castro, on behalf or the mayor's office.

"New Yorkers aversion to the status quo has become one of our trademarks, and it is this affinity for the new and the fresh that made us a fitting second home for the king of reinvention himself," the proclamation states.

How do we celebrate?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/21/16 at 4:06 pm

How do we celebrate?
Ask the mayor of New York.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/16 at 10:38 am

It was this day (January 22nd) in 1972, that David Bowie 'came out' as bisexual during an interview in the British music weekly Melody Maker.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/16 at 2:58 pm

It was this day (January 22nd) in 1972, that David Bowie 'came out' as bisexual during an interview in the British music weekly Melody Maker.

I always thought he was a bit odd.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/16 at 3:51 am

David Bowie's son, director Duncan Jones, has thanked people for their support in the two weeks since the death of his father.

Jones, who said he would be "offline for a while" following the news of Bowie's death, thanked fans for their "incredibly kind words & thoughts" 

http://twitter.com/ManMadeMoon/status/690919862160326656/photo/1

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/25/16 at 5:54 am

Even in the midst of his mourning, Duncan still found time to thank David's fans. What a nice gesture. Take care, Duncan, mate and all the best.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/16 at 1:03 pm

Three weeks after his death, David Bowie has lodged 12 albums in the UK top 40, equalling a record set by Elvis Presley in 1977.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 10:00 am

Rock star David Bowie left an estate valued at about $100m (£70m), according to his will which has been filed in New York. Half will go to his widow, Iman, along with the home they shared in New York. The rest is shared between his son and daughter. It was also revealed that Bowie had requested that his ashes be scattered in Bali in a Buddhist ritual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35449063

Written By: Redhairkid on 01/31/16 at 10:14 am

Apparently, David has also left something to his personal assistant and a former nanny.

What a nice gesture. As well as seeing his family are provided for, he remembered the people who helped him.

David Bowie, David Robert Jones, Thin White Duke, Ziggy Stardust, call him what you will but always call him a gentleman because he was.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/31/16 at 10:23 am

Three weeks after his death, David Bowie has lodged 12 albums in the UK top 40, equalling a record set by Elvis Presley in 1977.

There's nothing like dying to boost record sales.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 01/31/16 at 2:53 pm

Rock star David Bowie left an estate valued at about $100m (£70m), according to his will which has been filed in New York. Half will go to his widow, Iman, along with the home they shared in New York. The rest is shared between his son and daughter. It was also revealed that Bowie had requested that his ashes be scattered in Bali in a Buddhist ritual.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35449063

That's a big chunk of money. :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 3:30 pm

That's a big chunk of money. :o
With royalties still going to the estate for the next 75 years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/16 at 1:27 pm

Pop star Lady Gaga is to honour David Bowie with "an experiential tribute" at this month's Grammy Awards. The performance will be overseen by Chic's Nile Rodgers, who produced Bowie's hit album Let's Dance in 1983.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/16 at 2:44 pm

Pop star Lady Gaga is to honour David Bowie with "an experiential tribute" at this month's Grammy Awards. The performance will be overseen by Chic's Nile Rodgers, who produced Bowie's hit album Let's Dance in 1983.

Let's hope it's good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/25/16 at 1:44 am

Ricky Gervais has revealed he was exchanging emails with David Bowie two weeks before his death but that Bowie kept the state of his health a secret. Gervais told Radio 5 live he contacted the musician to say he loved his new album Blackstar and Bowie replied. " was a total surprise. I was emailing him two weeks before, so he must have known. He kept it from everyone," said Gervais.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36110108

Written By: Redhairkid on 04/25/16 at 5:50 am

Usually, when a celebrity keeps something secret, I call it dishonesty. But there is nothing dishonest about keeping illness secret. I call that bravery.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/08/18 at 9:15 pm

Happy Birthday, David. Can you believe Wednesday will mark two years?  :(

Did anyone watch tonight's HBO documentary, The Last Five Years? Wow. Bowie's life was a work of art, and so was his death. We're all gonna die someday, and this is how everyone should go out... on top, doing what they love.

Written By: nally on 01/08/18 at 11:51 pm

And today he would have turned 71. :\'(

Did anyone watch tonight's HBO documentary, The Last Five Years? Wow. Bowie's life was a work of art, and so was his death. We're all gonna die someday, and this is how everyone should go out... on top, doing what they love.

Wish I could see it...but I'm not subscribed to HBO. :-\\ I might know some people who are, though.

Written By: Howard on 01/09/18 at 7:23 am

man, time goes so fast. :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/18 at 5:09 am

man, time goes so fast. :\'(
Yes, it was two years ago today when we learn the sad news of the passing of David Bowie.

Since then:

David Bowie: 5 million of the star's records have been sold in the UK since his death two years ago

Check for new replies or respond here...