inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Glenn Frey, Eagles guitarist, dies aged 67 in New York

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/16 at 4:50 pm

Eagles guitarist Glenn Frey has died at the age of 67, the band has announced.

He died in New York City on Monday from complications arising from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia.

"Words can neither describe our sorrow, nor our love and respect for all that he has given to us," his family and fellow band members said.

The Eagles were one of the most successful bands of the 1970s, with multiple hit singles including Hotel California, in 1976.

Frey co-wrote Hotel California with singer Don Henley. He wrote a number of the band's biggest songs on his own, including Heartache Tonight and Lyin' Eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-35349025

Subject: Re: Glenn Frey, Eagles guitarist, dies aged 67 in New York

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/18/16 at 4:59 pm

How sad.

Cat

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/18/16 at 5:19 pm

Has anyone been able to confirm this?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/18/16 at 5:22 pm

Has anyone been able to confirm this?
Yes, it has been reported by the BBC, USA Today, Billboard, ABC News, etc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/18/16 at 5:29 pm

I'm sorry it went down like this
And someone had to lose
It's the nature of the business
It's the smuggler's blues

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/18/16 at 5:30 pm

Literally getting tired of seeing greats dying every damn day. This year is starting out a travesty.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 01/18/16 at 5:31 pm

The Rock Gods are dropping like flies...  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/18/16 at 6:23 pm

I won't deny it, Glenn was my favorite among the Eagles. My Heartache Tonight may not fade away for years.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/18/16 at 6:50 pm

Literally getting tired of seeing greats dying every damn day. This year is starting out a travesty.

Agreed.  Another great one, gone way too soon - this makes me so sad  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Glenn Frey

Written By: Ripley on 01/18/16 at 9:46 pm

Yes it is. I'm afraid to get online out of fear of seeing another one is gone.  :(

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/18/16 at 10:39 pm

Yes it is. I'm afraid to get online out of fear of seeing another one is gone.  :(

I know exactly how you feel, Rip. But this one cut into me deeper than any of the others. I've been a fan of Glenn since his Miami Vice days, before I even knew he was an Eagle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3cnivUVXc

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/18/16 at 10:49 pm

I know exactly how you feel, Rip. But this one cut into me deeper than any of the others. I've been a fan of Glenn since his Miami Vice days, before I even knew he was an Eagle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3cnivUVXc

Your Pal,
Doc

I remember the episode of MV he was on. I may have to dig out the series on DVD and play it to pay tribute.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 01/18/16 at 11:42 pm

R.I.P. Glenn, one of my Dad's favorites! All these guys are dying all of a sudden! :o  Good grief! :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/18/16 at 11:51 pm

R.I.P. Glenn, one of my Dad's favorites! All these guys are dying all of a sudden! :o  Good grief! :\'( :\'( :\'(

At least I can envision this for Glenn. Pray for his family tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmU-zMXdqeU

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 2:58 pm

You wonder who's next?  :(

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 2:59 pm

I won't deny it, Glenn was my favorite among the Eagles. My Heartache Tonight may not fade away for years.

Your Pal,
Doc

I knew his 80's music such as The Heat Is On, and You Belong To The City.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/16 at 3:00 pm

I fear the same thing, you go online and see another musician or actor/actress gone from this world. :\'(

Written By: nally on 01/19/16 at 5:36 pm

The Rock Gods are dropping like flies...  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

I know, that's already two rock legends we've lost this year already. First Bowie, now Frey. :\'( :\'( :\'(

He was a great musician, both with the Eagles and as a solo artist. My favorite solo hits of his were "The Heat Is On" and "True Love".

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/22/16 at 9:35 pm

http://i.imgur.com/BpYUbhx.jpg

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/22/16 at 10:30 pm

And the WBC morons plan on protesting his funeral?  ;D I sincerely hope that his family doesn't reveal the locale of the funeral publically.  Whaa whaa.  They didn't get to protest Bowie's funeral so they're going to protest Frey's funeral.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/16 at 4:52 am

And the WBC morons plan on protesting his funeral?  ;D I sincerely hope that his family doesn't reveal the locale of the funeral publically.  Whaa whaa.  They didn't get to protest Bowie's funeral so they're going to protest Frey's funeral.

They'll probably get rickrolled by Glenn's musician friends.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/23/16 at 4:07 pm

They'll probably get rickrolled by Glenn's musician friends.

I hope they do.  :) ;D

Written By: gibbo on 01/25/16 at 3:26 am

Just got back from an eight day cruise and heard this sad news (they only showed the sports news onboard). The Eagles were always my favourite band and I saw them just last year. Glenn showed no sign of illness during that show and was in great voice.

I wonder what this means for the band. I can't imagine them continuing without him!

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/25/16 at 9:39 am

Just got back from an eight day cruise and heard this sad news (they only showed the sports news onboard). The Eagles were always my favourite band and I saw them just last year. Glenn showed no sign of illness during that show and was in great voice.

I wonder what this means for the band. I can't imagine them continuing without him!

I can't either. It would be like the Beatles touring without John Lennon, or The Grateful Dead carrying on without Jerry Garcia, to give examples.
If Don Henley is the heart of the Eagles, Glenn was the soul.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: gibbo on 01/25/16 at 4:53 pm

I can't either. It would be like the Beatles touring without John Lennon, or The Grateful Dead carrying on without Jerry Garcia, to give examples.

Your Pal,
Doc

Agreed ... Well said Doc.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/25/16 at 5:07 pm

Your Pal,
Doc

The Temptations do a pretty good job of touring, and 4 of the original 5 (plus a few others) have passed on. Similar for Lynyrd Skynyrd. Hopefully the Eagles will soldier on.

Written By: gibbo on 01/25/16 at 5:23 pm

The Temptations do a pretty good job of touring, and 4 of the original 5 (plus a few others) have passed on. Similar for Lynyrd Skynyrd. Hopefully the Eagles will soldier on.

Fleetwood Mac toured without Christine McVie for many years. She rejoined the band last year and they sound whole again. The Eagles would have to either have an existing member sing his songs or drop those songs from the repertoire altogether. I can't imagine an Eagles concert without ... Take It Easy, New Kid in Town, Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise etc. They might replace him as they need the 4th harmony voice.

Or they might just hang up the vocal chords and call it a day. They are starting to lose vocal quality at that age and that's exactly what the Eagles were all about.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/25/16 at 10:16 pm

Fleetwood Mac toured without Christine McVie for many years. She rejoined the band last year and they sound whole again. The Eagles would have to either have an existing member sing his songs or drop those songs from the repertoire altogether. I can't imagine an Eagles concert without ... Take It Easy, New Kid in Town, Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise etc. They might replace him as they need the 4th harmony voice.

Or they might just hang up the vocal chords and call it a day. They are starting to lose vocal quality at that age and that's exactly what the Eagles were all about.

I don't imagine that the Eagles would continue on without Frey.  They haven't been together since at least 2012.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/26/16 at 11:49 am

ck, they toured all through last summer, having no idea it would have to be their last.

Your Pal,
Doc

Written By: gibbo on 01/26/16 at 9:10 pm

I don't imagine that the Eagles would continue on without Frey.  They haven't been together since at least 2012.

ck, they toured all through last summer, having no idea it would have to be their last.

Your Pal,
Doc

Yep ... Caught their History of the Eagles act last year. They even had Bernie Leadon playing with them. Apparently, Randy Meisner was suffering some ill health and could not join them on tour. it would have been nice if they could have buried the hatchet and had Don Felder with them ... but I guess there was too much water under that particular bridge!

Written By: nally on 01/30/16 at 11:04 am

Yep ... Caught their History of the Eagles act last year. They even had Bernie Leadon playing with them. Apparently, Randy Meisner was suffering some ill health and could not join them on tour. it would have been nice if they could have buried the hatchet and had Don Felder with them ... but I guess there was too much water under that particular bridge!

Ah, too bad. :-\\

I do remember reading that they had originally split up in the early 80s, but reunited in the mid 90s to record the album Hell Freezes Over; one of its tracks, "Love Will Keep Us Alive", was a huge hit in early 1995.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/30/16 at 2:21 pm

I do remember reading that they had originally split up in the early 80s, but reunited in the mid 90s to record the album Hell Freezes Over; one of its tracks, "Love Will Keep Us Alive", was a huge hit in early 1995.

Well, they did say that was when they planned to regroup!
Jeff, if you liked the new songs from Hell Freezes Over, you would probably enjoy their 2009 double album, Long Road Out Of Eden, which has 20 tracks of new material from Don, Glenn, Tim, and Joe(Felder was fired in the late 90's). The first CD alone has some standout tracks like "How Long(Rock Yourself To Sleep, a duet by Glenn & Don), "Busy Being Fabulous(Don), "Guilty Of The Crime"(Joe), "I Don't Wanna Hear Any More"(Tim), and the biggest hit was sung by Glenn, "No More Cloudy Days". Here's the Amazon link if you want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Road-Out-Eden-Eagles/dp/B002Q7JYPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1454184651&sr=1-1&keywords=long+road+out+of+eden

Your Pal,
Doc

;)

Check for new replies or respond here...