inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: John Disley: London Marathon co-founder dies aged 87

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/16 at 12:33 pm

London marathon co-founder John Disley has died at the age of 87 after a short illness.

Disley, from Corris in north Wales, and his friend Chris Brasher set up the first London event in 1981.

The British pair met in the 1950s when competing in the 3,000m steeplechase - Disley taking bronze at the 1952 Olympic Games and Brasher gold in 1956.

A former vice-chairman of the UK Sports Council, Disley was appointed a CBE in 1979 for his work in outdoor education.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/wales/25749606

Subject: Re: John Disley: London Marathon co-founder dies aged 87

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/08/16 at 2:06 pm

Genuinely sorry to hear this, Philip. I knew John personally as he was a friend of my ex boss. A very nice person.

Written By: karen on 02/10/16 at 1:38 pm

He was also introduced the sport of orienteering to the UK and, together with Chris Brasher, founded the British Orienteering Federation.

https://www.britishorienteering.org.uk/index.php?pg=1&action=news&id=MzM2Mw==&rtn=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5icml0aXNob3JpZW50ZWVyaW5nLm9yZy51ay8=

Written By: Redhairkid on 02/10/16 at 2:05 pm

Chris Brasher was another nice guy. I once called him Mr Brasher and he immediately told me to call him Chris!

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/24/16 at 4:15 am

Genuinely sorry to hear this, Philip. I knew John personally as he was a friend of my ex boss. A very nice person.
There was a fitting tribute for John Disley at the start of London Marathon today.

Written By: karen on 01/05/17 at 4:58 am

I walked past John Disley's house on new year's eve

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/17 at 10:54 pm

I walked past John Disley's house on new year's eve
Is the house still with his family, or has someone totally unconnected now moved in?

Written By: karen on 01/09/17 at 3:36 pm

Is the house still with his family, or has someone totally unconnected now moved in?

I am not sure.  It was a holiday home, not his main residence, according to the lady I was walking with.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/17 at 8:43 pm

I am not sure.  It was a holiday home, not his main residence, according to the lady I was walking with.
Thanks for the information.

Check for new replies or respond here...