inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Former Super Bowl Winner Will Smith Shot Dead

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/16 at 7:47 am

Former New Orleans Saints footballer Will Smith has been shot dead after he was involved in a car crash. Smith, 34, and his wife Racquel were in the car when it was shunted from behind in the city's Garden District on Saturday, the Times-Picayune reported on its website.

http://news.sky.com/story/1675944/former-super-bowl-winner-will-smith-shot-dead

Subject: Re: Former Super Bowl Winner Will Smith Shot Dead

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/16 at 4:23 pm

The end of the Willennium? ???

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/10/16 at 6:03 pm

Damn. When I looked at this thread, I thought it was about the well-known actor Will Smith. That would be confusing to some of his fans, since both of them have the same name.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/10/16 at 7:14 pm

Damn. When I looked at this thread, I thought it was about the well-known actor Will Smith. That would be confusing to some of his fans, since both of them have the same name.

Yeah, first time I read it, I was thinking "I didn't know that Will Smith played pro ball before".  :-[

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/10/16 at 9:15 pm

He was a key player in the Saints' Super Bowl win over the Colts in 2012. I hate that off the field violence is taking some if the most talented athletes away from us. RIP Will.

Written By: nally on 04/10/16 at 9:28 pm

Yeah, first time I read it, I was thinking "I didn't know that Will Smith played pro ball before".  :-
He was a key player in the Saints' Super Bowl win over the Colts in 2012. I hate that off the field violence is taking some if the most talented athletes away from us. RIP Will.

I agree with Indy's post here.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/16 at 2:42 pm

That's what I thought too.  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 4:06 pm

There is also a pro baseball pitcher who goes by the name Will Smith... but I think all 3 guys have different middle names.

Wow, people should put their middle names whenever they're mentioned. It would cause less confusion.

Written By: nally on 04/11/16 at 6:07 pm

Wow, people should put their middle names whenever they're mentioned. It would cause less confusion.

Yeah, I believe that if two distinct famous people have the same first and last name, something should be done to differentiate them.

But then again, some people don't have middle names.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/11/16 at 6:26 pm

Yeah, I believe that if two distinct famous people have the same first and last name, something should be done to differentiate them.

But then again, some people don't have middle names.

Oh. Then, they should use different versions of the same name. Like William.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/11/16 at 7:06 pm

Or Bill.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/12/16 at 11:28 am

Just saw on TMZ that Will Smith did a hit-and-run on the accused killer's vehicle moments before him getting shot. Looks like there's more to this story..,

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 6:01 pm

Or Bill.

That's true. Btw, the Will Smith that most people know of (the actor/rapper, aka the Fresh Prince), his first name is short for Willard.

Not sure about the other two guys.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/16 at 6:21 pm

That's true. Btw, the Will Smith that most people know of (the actor/rapper, aka the Fresh Prince), his first name is short for Willard.

Not sure about the other two guys.

Then why the f*ck aren't they using Willard, since there's two other Will Smiths?

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 6:33 pm

Then why the f*ck aren't they using Willard, since there's two other Will Smiths?

Probably because he was popular way before the other two were.

In fact, I'm looking on Wikopedia right now, and there's even more, aside from him.

Will Smith, (born 1968), American actor, rapper, producer, and songwriter -- perhaps the most famous of all these guys
Will Smith (comedian) (born 1971), UK comedian, actor and writer -- his bio indicates he's only been active since 2004
Will Smith (defensive end) (1981–2016), American football defensive end -- (he's the guy who just died; full name William Raymond Smith)
Will Smith (linebacker, born 1992) -- played for the Dallas Cowboys in 2014-2015 (full name William Lamont Smith)
Will Smith (baseball) (born 1989), American pitcher in Major League Baseball -- played for KC Royals 2012-13 and Milwaukee Brewers since 2014 (full name William Michael Smith)
Will Smith (cricketer) (born 1982), English cricketer -- (full name William Rew Smith)
Will Smith (rugby league) (born 1992), rugby footballer for the Penrith Panthers -- (full name William smith; no middle name)

These were all the people listed as "Will Smith" on the William Smith (disambiguation) Wiki page.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 04/12/16 at 7:05 pm

Probably because he was popular way before the other two were.

In fact, I'm looking on Wikopedia right now, and there's even more, aside from him.

Will Smith, (born 1968), American actor, rapper, producer, and songwriter -- perhaps the most famous of all these guys
Will Smith (comedian) (born 1971), UK comedian, actor and writer -- his bio indicates he's only been active since 2004
Will Smith (defensive end) (1981–2016), American football defensive end -- (he's the guy who just died; full name William Raymond Smith)
Will Smith (linebacker, born 1992) -- played for the Dallas Cowboys in 2014-2015 (full name William Lamont Smith)
Will Smith (baseball) (born 1989), American pitcher in Major League Baseball -- played for KC Royals 2012-13 and Milwaukee Brewers since 2014 (full name William Michael Smith)
Will Smith (cricketer) (born 1982), English cricketer -- (full name William Rew Smith)
Will Smith (rugby league) (born 1992), rugby footballer for the Penrith Panthers -- (full name William smith; no middle name)

These were all the people listed as "Will Smith" on the William Smith (disambiguation) Wiki page.

https://media.giphy.com/media/tdN4TpyM3dzYA/giphy.gif

Written By: nally on 04/12/16 at 7:19 pm

^I know, there's plenty of them. The same can be said about other first-and-last-name combos.

Written By: karen on 04/13/16 at 3:41 am

I think the only requirement is for actors to either change their name or use a different form of it if another actor has the same name.  If they are in different fields of activity (acting vs sport) then there should not be any confusion between two people with the same name

Check for new replies or respond here...