inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Julius LaRosa Fired for Good...

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/15/16 at 4:56 pm

Phenom singer of the 1950's, Julius LaRosa, has passed away at the age of 86.  :\'(

His name might not be familiar to many on these boards. He was the heartthrob who was a contract player on Arthur Godfrey's TV and radio shows way back when. Arthur performed the ultimate faux-pas by firing Julius on the air. Rumor had it that Godfrey fired him because he was getting far more fan mail than Godfrey was.  ::)

At the time, Godfrey was on top of the world and hugely famous and admired. However after that episode, his career went into the toilet. Seems that your average fan was not very happy about the public firing, and he got slaughtered in the press over the unseemly act.

My Mother never liked Arthur Godfrey. Any time his name came up she'd say "I never liked that guy".  ;D

Subject: Re: Julius LaRosa Fired for Good...

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/19/16 at 4:18 pm

He was a regular on the annual Jerry Lewis telethon to fight Muscular Dystrophy. He was similar to Eddie Fisher in that be was famous without actually having a hit song. Now he's reunited with Godfrey where Arthur likes it or not. R.I.P. Juli.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/16 at 6:03 pm

He was a regular on the annual Jerry Lewis telethon to fight Muscular Dystrophy. He was similar to Eddie Fisher in that be was famous without actually having a hit song. Now he's reunited with Godfrey where Arthur likes it or not. R.I.P. Juli.

Julius indeed had a hit song, "Eh Cumpari".  8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/22/16 at 3:05 pm

Julius indeed had a hit song, "Eh Cumpari".  8)

Never hear of it, but I'll take your word for it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/16 at 3:25 pm

Never hear of it, but I'll take your word for it.

Here's a YouTube recording of Eh Cumpari. It's a catchy tune.  8)

According to Wikipedia, it hit #1 on the Cash Box chart and #2 on the Billboard chart in 1953.

Bsg73N0eUZk

Check for new replies or respond here...