inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Another Beastie Boy Passes On

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/16 at 2:24 am

Original Beastie Boy John Berry has reportedly passed away at the age of 52 from dementia.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/original-beastie-boys-member-john-berry-dead-at-52-20160519

He fought hard for the right to party.

Subject: Re: Another Beastie Boy Passes On

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/20/16 at 2:51 am

Holy crap, this scared the sh!t outta me!! I was thinking something happened to Mike D or Ad-Rock... Still John Berry was a rad mofo on the Polly Wog Stew EP (which I also happen to own. OG press, baby!) and it sucks to have another one die. It still makes to sad to think about MCA's passing. He spit some sweet rhymes; these kids and their weak little raps today just can't compare to the greats from the late 80's.

The Beastie Boys are one of the greatest hip hip/punk groups of all time. They were unique and brought all types of genres together. I love their music just as much now as I did when I first discovered them as a teenager. They never forgot, not for a second, their roots and where they started as Punk Rock kids with Polly Wog Stew and Real Men Don't Floss EPs. Plus, the drummer of Suicidal Tendencies who played on their 1983 self-titled record (Amery Smith) played with them. How cool is that??

R.I.P. John and Adam.

For anyone who's curious, this is what they started off sounding like (before Ad-Rock joined the band). John's on guitar:

nc9299vZrkU

Written By: #Infinity on 05/20/16 at 3:00 am

I distinctly remember how mortified I was when I learned Adam Yauch had died. I knew that the Beastie Boys pulled out of Street Scene in San Diego in the late 2000s due to the tumor in Yauch's mouth, but especially after the trio finally released Hot Sauce Committee, I thought all was well again, so it completely caught me off guard to learn that Yauch's cancer returned and took his life.

And now, yet another Beastie dies all so prematurely...it's just tragic to think about, even if John Berry wasn't part of the classic lineup. R.I.P.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/16 at 7:35 am

Original Beastie Boy John Berry has reportedly passed away at the age of 52 from dementia.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/original-beastie-boys-member-john-berry-dead-at-52-20160519

RIP John Berry, now all you have left are just two members. :\'(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/20/16 at 7:56 am

RIP John Berry, now all you have left are just two members. :\'(

They got three living members because Kate Schellenbach is still alive. This sucks. We lost a whole chuck of the Beasties this decade...

Written By: nally on 05/20/16 at 11:15 am

How sad. :\'(

All this time I thought it was a trio, with Ad-Rock, Mike D, and the late Adam Yauch being the only three members (as they comprised the lineup for most of the band's active years)...but I had no idea that this guy was also a member at one time. Ya learn something new every day.

I distinctly remember how mortified I was when I learned Adam Yauch had died. I knew that the Beastie Boys pulled out of Street Scene in San Diego in the late 2000s due to the tumor in Yauch's mouth, but especially after the trio finally released Hot Sauce Committee, I thought all was well again, so it completely caught me off guard to learn that Yauch's cancer returned and took his life.

Yeah...I remember all about that too. :\'(

...it's just tragic to think about, even if John Berry wasn't part of the classic lineup. R.I.P.

It certainly is.

Written By: nally on 05/20/16 at 11:18 am

They got three living members because Kate Schellenbach is still alive. This sucks. We lost a whole chuck of the Beasties this decade...

Ah yes, she was an early founding member, and played drums with them during the early 1980s... and then in the 1990s joined the all-female band Luscious Jackson, best known for their 1997 hit "Naked Eye".

Written By: Ripley on 05/20/16 at 1:28 pm

Damn :'(

Written By: Howard on 05/20/16 at 2:16 pm

Will they still have a reunion? :(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/20/16 at 11:23 pm

Will they still have a reunion? :(

Nah, Ad-Rock and Mike D retired the name in respect for MCA. It's a good decision; you can't replace a great rapper like him. The three of them were a team and they made up the greatest Hip Hop group on the planet. They were one of a kind in both the Punk and Hip Hop worlds. They never forgot their Punk Rock roots for a second and embraced all genres of music throughout their career. It would be one of the biggest disgraces to ever pull off a Sublime with Rome (just for a sh!ts and giggles comparison. Sublime will never ever match the legacy and quality of the Beasite Boys) and try and replace MCA.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/16 at 1:18 am

It would be one of the biggest disgraces to ever pull off a Sublime with Rome (just for a sh!ts and giggles comparison.

A big reason why Sublime with Rome didn't work was the absence of Lou Dog.  :-[

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/21/16 at 11:46 pm

A big reason why Sublime with Rome didn't work was the absence of Lou Dog.  :-[

Lou Dog was the only talent in that band. He wrote all the music and lyrics but to this day he still doesn't get the proper credit for being the genius that he is.

Check for new replies or respond here...