inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Muhammad Ali dies at age 74

Written By: nally on 06/04/16 at 12:15 am

Legendary heavyweight champion and social icon Muhammad Ali has died, a family spokesman said late Friday in a statement. He was 74.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/15939933/muhammad-ali-dies-74

R.I.P. Muhammad :\'( :\'(

Subject: Re: Muhammad Ali dies at age 74

Written By: #Infinity on 06/04/16 at 2:21 am

I was actually surprised he lived to be 74, due to his Parkinson's. But regardless, rest in peace, champ. You were a monumental figure to African American history and will remain so for generations to come.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 2:32 am

So sad, the Greatest is no more.

:\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/04/16 at 4:04 am

Welp, it's officially; this year will be known as the year all the legends are leaving us. :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
R.I.P. Ali, the man truly was the greatest!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 6:38 am

As somebody who's mixed race (specifically half-white and half-black) and really doesn't like anybody who was affiliated with the Nation of Islam (except for Malcolm X, who quit after he saw that Muslims were not just black), I'm kinda mixed over his death. I'm not into boxing myself, although my dad and grandpa grew up with him. They probably watched his boxing matches in the 70s, after he returned from refusing to go to Vietnam. But I'm not sure about sad about his death.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 6:52 am

I grew up being aware of his career as it happened, and was in attendance to one of his fights at a live coverage in a cinema during the late 70's. I never liked boxing myself, but as a sporting figure I appreciate him.

There is only one film to watch today.

:\'(

Written By: mqg96 on 06/04/16 at 7:16 am

Things couldn't have gotten any worse. Muhammad Ali now! Damn! I remember going to my grandparents' house throughout my whole life seeing photos of Muhamman Ali all over their house, and I used to get Muhammad Ali's photos confused with my grandfather because they looked so alike. They took a picture together when they were much younger.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/16 at 7:18 am

I grew up being aware of his career as it happened, and was in attendance to one of his fights at a live coverage in a cinema during the late 70's. I never liked boxing myself, but as a sporting figure I appreciate him.

There is only one film to watch today.

The film with Will Smith?

Written By: Howard on 06/04/16 at 7:20 am

RIP Muhammad Ali  :\'(
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Muhammad_Ali_NYWTS.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 7:25 am

Am I the only person in this thread that's confused over his death, because I don't seem comfortable over Muhammad Ali's political views in the 60s?

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/04/16 at 7:26 am

Welp, it's officially; this year will be known as the year all the legends are leaving us. :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(
R.I.P. Ali, the man truly was the greatest!

My feelings exactly.  Another major icon of my youth, gone.  This makes me so sad  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Muhammad Ali

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 7:37 am

Am I the only person in this thread that's confused over his death, because I don't seem comfortable over Muhammad Ali's political views in the 60s?
I have put his political views to one side, and honouring him as "The Greatest" sportsman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 7:37 am

The film with Will Smith?
Yes, hopefully.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 7:40 am

I have put his political views to one side, and honouring him as "The Greatest" sportsman.

So, you're saying that his political views doesn't matter and that his boxing career was what made him a legend? I guess that's understandable to me, but I'm not really into boxing myself. Especially in my childhood.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/16 at 7:49 am

My connections to Muhammed Ali are one-direct and 1-indirect.

First the direct: Ali and I were in the same small puddle-jumper airplane back in 1996. He and his wife were coming back from the torch ceremony at the Atlanta Summer Olympics.

Next the indirect:  Ali was famous for pummeling the powerful Sonny Liston. I used to work with a guy who in his day was the terror of Saint Louis boxing rings, Stan Howlett. Stan was 5-0, usually by knockouts and went into the ring with Liston, expected to knock him off. Instead, my pal Stan got a huge punch of reality and was quickly knocked out by Sonny Liston. So devastating was the loss that he decided that a career change was in order. Stan went on to become a minister, as well as a coworker in my steel mill. Stan was the finest man you'd ever want to meet, and endlessly devoted to his wife who was disabled.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/16 at 7:55 am

Yes, hopefully.

I might want to see that film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 7:58 am

I might want to see that film.
Regretably, that film is not available for me. In time it will be seen.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/04/16 at 8:00 am

So, you're saying that his political views doesn't matter and that his boxing career was what made him a legend? I guess that's understandable to me, but I'm not really into boxing myself. Especially in my childhood.

I wasn't into WWE or boxing growing up, but I've still always recognized all of these people as major icons, role models, and sports stars growing up. They give you good advice for perseverance when going through obstacles in life, and I like how each of their perspectives and ways of training are different as well. The sports world goes real deep. Not just the players, but even the die hard fans as well. All this political talk or an opinion on someone's religion completely irrelevant to this topic especially when recognizing someone's death. I tune into ESPN, bleacher report, and my Atlanta sports station almost everyday. College football and NFL is my favorite sport to watch on TV, but I still pay attention to players and legends throughout the entire sports world. Basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, track & field, tennis, golf, etc. So even when Chyna died a month or two ago I was just as devastated as well because I've seen her in photos, news, or clips throughout my life, despite not watching WWE growing up.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/16 at 8:04 am

What is up with huge icons in sports, music, movies, TV, dying?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 8:19 am

I wasn't into WWE or boxing growing up, but I've still always recognized all of these people as major icons, role models, and sports stars growing up. They give you good advice for perseverance when going through obstacles in life, and I like how each of their perspectives and ways of training are different as well. The sports world goes real deep. Not just the players, but even the die hard fans as well. All this political talk or an opinion on someone's religion completely irrelevant to this topic especially when recognizing someone's death. I tune into ESPN, bleacher report, and my Atlanta sports station almost everyday. College football and NFL is my favorite sport to watch on TV, but I still pay attention to players and legends throughout the entire sports world. Basketball, baseball, hockey, lacrosse, track & field, tennis, golf, etc. So even when Chyna died a month or two ago I was just as devastated as well because I've seen her in photos, news, or clips throughout my life, despite not watching WWE growing up.

I think you're right. Maybe Muhammad Ali's affiliation with the Nation of Islam isn't important to his death, since this is about his boxing career.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 8:20 am

It might have to do with their medical issues.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 8:23 am

We all have to go sometime, and icons have made their name several years back, and in time gracefully and regretably have to go.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/04/16 at 8:28 am

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p526x296/13307205_10153920256466263_1123680508976263095_n.jpg?oh=50cb0d47608d62adc26f41b9f66ba3b1&oe=57C4FECD

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 8:45 am

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c3/94/9c/c3949c67d79afb1a58c2458fa886f72a.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/16 at 8:50 am

I think you're right. Maybe Muhammad Ali's affiliation with the Nation of Islam isn't important to his death, since this is about his boxing career.

Ali eventually left the Black Muslims and converted to Sunni Islam.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 9:19 am

Ali eventually left the Black Muslims and converted to Sunni Islam.

Did he liked white people at the time he converted to Sunni Islam?

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/04/16 at 9:30 am

I really don't know what else to say.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/16 at 1:14 pm

Did he liked white people at the time he converted to Sunni Islam?

I imagine he always liked white people.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/04/16 at 1:41 pm

I imagine he always liked white people.

We know he liked Howard Cosell. :-\\

I had never cared about Ali as a child because he was such  a braggart. When I got to more more, I still didn't like him but respected his athleticism. Now that boxing suffered after he retired permanently, I am convinced there will never be another Muhammed Ali.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 1:59 pm

We know he liked Howard Cosell. :-\\

I had never cared about Ali as a child because he was such  a braggart. When I got to more more, I still didn't like him but respected his athleticism. Now that boxing suffered after he retired permanently, I am convinced there will never be another Muhammed Ali.

I'm asking that because he was a member of Nation of Islam in the mid 60s. I became a bit terrified of that, since the organization is black supremacist. But then I thought he wasn't that racist, since he did had pictures with white politicians and celebrities (Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Howard Cosell, etc).

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/16 at 2:24 pm

Ali's funeral will take place in his hometown of Louisville, Kentucky, on Friday.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/16 at 2:49 pm

I'm asking that because he was a member of Nation of Islam in the mid 60s. I became a bit terrified of that, since the organization is black supremacist. But then I thought he wasn't that racist, since he did had pictures with white politicians and celebrities (Ronald Reagan, George W. Bush, Howard Cosell, etc).

I do not think the black muslims were "black supremacists". They were definitely "black separatists" though. After Brother Malcolm made his pilgrimage to Mecca and saw muslims of all races there, it was the beginning of the end of his relationship with the NOI.

The NOI certainly carries with it a legacy of violence and other nonsense.  But it also must be said that it has caused countless, hopeless young black men to walk away from lives of crime and drug addiction. So its legacy is a mixed one. It's too bad that its members drove out and ultimately murdered its most effective ambassador.  :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/16 at 3:16 pm

We all have to go sometime, and icons have made their name several years back, and in time gracefully and regretably have to go.

:o

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/16 at 3:17 pm

It might have to do with their medical issues.

Yup!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 3:40 pm

I do not think the black muslims were "black supremacists". They were definitely "black separatists" though. After Brother Malcolm made his pilgrimage to Mecca and saw muslims of all races there, it was the beginning of the end of his relationship with the NOI.

The NOI certainly carries with it a legacy of violence and other nonsense.  But it also must be said that it has caused countless, hopeless young black men to walk away from lives of crime and drug addiction. So its legacy is a mixed one. It's too bad that its members drove out and ultimately murdered its most effective ambassador.  :-\\

Which is still a way of saying blacks should be separated from other races. That's the thing that I'm talking about, since I come from a racially mixed marriage (white mother and black father, to be specific). They don't approve of interracial marriage, including Muhammad Ali.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 3:54 pm

This is what I'm talking about, for god sakes. For why I don't agree with Muhammad Ali.

oVpfcq4pV5U

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/04/16 at 5:15 pm

This is what I'm talking about, for god sakes. For why I don't agree with Muhammad Ali.

oVpfcq4pV5U

I can't say I have been a fan of Ali, but this video was a looooong time ago. I suspect that he changed his views later on. (I am speculating only).

And to a degree, given the state of race relations when and where he grew up as Cassius Clay, in Kentucky, one might consider that the experience would give him an outlook that today would be seen as extreme.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/04/16 at 5:24 pm

I can't say I have been a fan of Ali, but this video was a looooong time ago. I suspect that he changed his views later on. (I am speculating only).

And to a degree, given the state of race relations when and where he grew up as Cassius Clay, in Kentucky, one might consider that the experience would give him an outlook that today would be seen as extreme.

I can believe that, but I don't know about his views on interracial marriage. I could accept him liking whites, but not with other races as married.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/16 at 5:49 pm

This is what happens when you get old, it's a fact of life. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/04/16 at 5:52 pm

http://i43.tinypic.com/2u5qemb.jpg
Gorilla Monsoon vs.Muhammad Ali

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/04/16 at 9:39 pm

This song kept going through my head since I heard the sad news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW5qF9fheXw

I love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80wMMFAcweQ

Cat

Written By: mqg96 on 06/05/16 at 12:44 am

I love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80wMMFAcweQ

Same here!

It's another reason why I love 1996! That may have been one of the events my family attended way back then when the Olympics was held here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/16 at 2:46 am

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali died of "septic shock due to unspecified natural causes", his family has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36453779

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/16 at 3:14 am

Prince Stopped Cursing in His Music Because of Muhammad Ali

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2016/06/prince-stopped-cursing-in-his-music-because-of-muhammad-ali/

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/05/16 at 7:31 am

Same here!

It's another reason why I love 1996! That may have been one of the events my family attended way back then when the Olympics was held here.

I was on a small plane with Ali when he was returning home after that torch ceremony. As I was waiting at the gate there was a 19-year-old kid sitting next to me. Here comes the Champ, walking unsteadily, shaking a little bit, and leaning on his wife for balance. He was immediately recognizable to me.

The kid mumbles to me "F-in drunk! I hope they don't let him on our flight."  I turned to him and said "Do you know who he is? He's Muhammed Ali, and even now he could kick your ass all the way to Chicago."  All of a sudden the kid goes silent and his jaw drops.  :o

We got to our destination, and whilst waiting for baggage at the turnstile, the Champ posed for pics and signed autographs, in exchange for handing out his Islam materials. I did not approach him for a photo because to tell the truth, I was never a fan, and I thought it would be hypocritical to do so. Meanwhile, the Kid kept his distance, grabbed his bags, and got the heck out of there real quick.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/05/16 at 2:47 pm

Boxing legend Muhammad Ali died of "septic shock due to unspecified natural causes", his family has said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36453779

that's sad. :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/05/16 at 5:59 pm

I can believe that, but I don't know about his views on interracial marriage. I could accept him liking whites, but not with other races as married.

You know what? Maybe he just didn't give a crap after he converted to Sunni Islam. I think I cared so much about Ali's death, is because I get paranoid over racial supremacy. Most notably white supremacy, to be specific.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/06/16 at 11:01 pm

and now Kimbo is dead....... Jeez! :o :o :o

Written By: mqg96 on 06/07/16 at 1:09 am

Kimbo Slice dead!!! No!!!!

and for those who were into Christian stations on some occasions, like my mom was, I found out the co-founder of TBN Jan Crouch had died too, which was definitely huge.

2016, the year of all these celebrities and major stars/icons dying! It's not only getting more and more sad, but really creepy af at the same time too!  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/07/16 at 5:45 am

I kinda liked him. It's a shame that he's dead, since he was well credited.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/16 at 2:47 pm

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.2663475.1465248151!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/article_750/ffn-image-52082549-ffn-set-70007939.jpg

I can't believe the Daily News posted this gaunt photo of Muhammad Ali, What were they thinking?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/16 at 10:03 am

The President of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and King Abdullah of Jordan are among the dignitaries scheduled to speak at Muhammad Ali's funeral on Friday, a family spokesman says.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/16 at 3:36 pm

Muhammad Ali's funeral service is to be streamed live at The O2 arena in London, it has been announced. The North Greenwich venue will show the event on giant screens by its main entrance from 19:00 BST on 10 June. The public can also leave flowers and sign the book of condolence at the venue's I Am The Greatest Exhibition.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/09/16 at 6:31 pm

Muhammad Ali's funeral service is to be streamed live at The O2 arena in London, it has been announced. The North Greenwich venue will show the event on giant screens by its main entrance from 19:00 BST on 10 June. The public can also leave flowers and sign the book of condolence at the venue's I Am The Greatest Exhibition.

I thought Moslems were supposed to be buried within 24 hours of death? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/16 at 2:34 am

I thought Moslems were supposed to be buried within 24 hours of death? ???
That is what I have been thinking, perhaps post mortems had to be done first?

Written By: Howard on 06/10/16 at 6:58 am

That is what I have been thinking, perhaps post mortems had to be done first?

and also to view the body to say their last goodbyes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/16 at 10:28 am

and also to view the body to say their last goodbyes.
Yes, a chance to arrange a good funeral service, with important dignitaries attending.

Check for new replies or respond here...