inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hockey Hall Of Famer Gordie Howe Gets "Iced"

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/16 at 5:03 pm

Gordie Howe, the legendary Mr. Hockey, passed away today at the age of 88. his career spanned 3 decades, retiring in 1979 at 52 and played with Wayne Gretzky at the WHA All Star game. His most successful years were with the Detroit Red Wings in the 40s and 50s, where he led them to 4 Stanley  Cup Titles. He held the record for career goal until Gretzky broke it. A true legend.

Subject: Re: Hockey Hall Of Famer Gordie Howe Gets "Iced"

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/10/16 at 5:54 pm

An old high school buddy of mine used to be a sportscaster but his career went south. Every time a sports figure dies, he plasters posts on Facebook about how "my old and dear friend (fill in the blank) died", followed by multiple pics of his massive autographed memorabilia from said celebrity. Seems that every sports figure he ever saw on the field was his closest friend.

Earlier this week he flooded my FB feed with his Muhammed Ali pics, throwing in Mr T to boot.

Today sure enough, all these posts just to make sure we all know he met Gordie Howe.  ::)

One of these days I'm going to respond to one of his posts and say "my Mom once met Honus Wagner... And he sucked.."  ;D. (Indeed my Mom met Honus when she was a schoolgirl and he was a real butt head).

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/16 at 11:43 pm

There are a lot of Hall Of Fame type athletes who are jerks off the venues. Ty Cobb, Dennis Rodman and John McEnroe come to mind. I'm sorry your sportscaster friend had to resort to flooding your Facebook account. I'm not saying Gordie Howe was a saint, but he was well-respected by his peers.  And no comment on Honus Wagner since I wasn't born yet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/16 at 7:05 am

There are a lot of Hall Of Fame type athletes who are jerks off the venues. Ty Cobb, Dennis Rodman and John McEnroe come to mind. I'm sorry your sportscaster friend had to resort to flooding your Facebook account. I'm not saying Gordie Howe was a saint, but he was well-respected by his peers.  And no comment on Honus Wagner since I wasn't born yet.

Oh, I have no issue with Gordy at all. Was probably a cool guy IRL.

My post was more about people who seem to have to prove themselves by how many athletes they are "longtime friends" with.

I work with a guy who is a fairly well-known pro athlete (I will not name-drop though) and not once in the past year that I have known him, has he "name dropped". He's now our company's chaplain, and the only name he ever drops truly is a "Big Hitter".  ;D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 06/11/16 at 10:13 am

An old high school buddy of mine used to be a sportscaster but his career went south. Every time a sports figure dies, he plasters posts on Facebook about how "my old and dear friend (fill in the blank) died", followed by multiple pics of his massive autographed memorabilia from said celebrity. Seems that every sports figure he ever saw on the field was his closest friend.

Earlier this week he flooded my FB feed with his Muhammed Ali pics, throwing in Mr T to boot.

Today sure enough, all these posts just to make sure we all know he met Gordie Howe.  ::)

One of these days I'm going to respond to one of his posts and say "my Mom once met Honus Wagner... And he sucked.."  ;D. (Indeed my Mom met Honus when she was a schoolgirl and he was a real butt head).

And that's why Facebook is really annoying to use.

Written By: nally on 06/11/16 at 11:51 am

Just heard about this yesterday. R.I.P. Gordie, you lived a long life. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/11/16 at 1:00 pm

Just heard about this yesterday. R.I.P. Gordie, you lived a long life. :\'(

R.I.P Gordie Howe  :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/15/16 at 5:30 am

And that's why Facebook is really annoying to use.

Yesterday this guy spammed my Facebook feed with 18 pictures of him and his kid. They went to Detroit for the public viewing of Gordy Howe. The pics show my buddy hamming it up in front of statues of Gordy and the various sports venues of Motown, with the now-predictable statements of how they were best buds.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...