inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MAD magazine cartoonist Jack Davis dies aged 91

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/16 at 7:49 am

Cartoonist Jack Davis, the "long-time legendary" artist on the US magazine MAD, has died at the age of 91.

Davis, who also created posters for films such as American Graffiti and Bananas, was one of the founding artists on the publication in 1952.

He contributed to the magazine for several decades, drawing many portraits of its mascot Alfred E Neuman.

MAD art director Sam Viviano said Davis' "immediately recognisable style revolutionised comic illustration".

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-36912468

Subject: Re: MAD magazine cartoonist Jack Davis dies aged 91

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 8:07 am

As somebody who was into Mad in the early 2010s, it's truly sad to see him pass away.  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/16 at 11:00 am

We were JUST talking about Mad magazines last night.

What? Me worry?

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 11:01 am

We were JUST talking about Mad magazines last night.

What? Me worry?

Cat

One of my friends had a few Mad magazines, especially old ones from the 60s and 70s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/16 at 11:07 am

One of my friends had a few Mad magazines, especially old ones from the 60s and 70s.

Last night I mentioned to Carlos about something I remembered seeing in Mad WAY, WAY back in the dark ages. He said that he used to have a subscription to it. Then he said, "I wish I still had all of mine-they would be worth quite a bit." I told him if he still had them, he wouldn't have them because he would sell them.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 11:10 am

Last night I mentioned to Carlos about something I remembered seeing in Mad WAY, WAY back in the dark ages. He said that he used to have a subscription to it. Then he said, "I wish I still had all of mine-they would be worth quite a bit." I told him if he still had them, he wouldn't have them because he would sell them.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

That's interesting. I only had a few Mad magazines, but only from the 2010s. I never had a subscription, so it's not like I read them regularly.

Written By: meesa on 07/28/16 at 1:00 pm

The first MAD magazine I received was when I broke my leg as a young kid, my dad brought it to me for something to read. It was the Star Wars edition, and it had an actual playable (flimsy) record in it. Would love to have that now, if only for the nostalgia factor.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 1:31 pm

The first MAD magazine I received was when I broke my leg as a young kid, my dad brought it to me for something to read. It was the Star Wars edition, and it had an actual playable (flimsy) record in it. Would love to have that now, if only for the nostalgia factor.

My friend has the Star Wars edition of Mad.

Written By: meesa on 07/28/16 at 2:17 pm

My friend has the Star Wars edition of Mad.

That's awesome.  :)
I think I will go on a search for it, just because.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/16 at 3:26 pm

As somebody who was into Mad in the early 2010s, it's truly sad to see him pass away.  :\'(

I used to read MAD magazines all the time.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/28/16 at 3:53 pm

That's awesome.  :)
I think I will go on a search for it, just because.

Well okay. Good luck with that.

Written By: Ripley on 07/28/16 at 3:58 pm

Oh wow. This is sad. He was a legend. I used to read those magazines all the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/16 at 9:47 pm

I have many MAD magazines from the early 70's, it inspired me to humour.

Check for new replies or respond here...