inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Director Arthur Hiller (Love Story)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/17/16 at 5:48 pm

What can you say about a ninety-two-year-old man who died? That he was versatile. And brilliant. That he directed Lemmon and Matthau. And the Addams Family. And Hitch.

Arthur Hiller -- whose career ranged from Perry Mason, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and the Addams Family pilot, to The In-Laws, The Out-of-Towners, and Love Story -- has died of natural causes. He was 92.

Hiller’s Love Story (1970), the tragic romantic tearjerker from Paramount that starred Ryan O’Neal as a college kid from a wealthy family and Ali MacGraw as a wisecracking working-class girl, earned seven Oscar nominations, including one for best picture and mentions for Hiller and the two leads.

“I was busting my ass to keep it from being a soap opera,” Hiller told Vanity Fair in 2010. “I wanted you to care, but not to be crying from the beginning.”

Adapted from the sensational-selling novel by Yale professor Erich Segal (who also wrote the screenplay) and released in theaters mere months after the book entered stores, Love Story grossed $106.4 million at the box office, or $659 million in today’s dollars, putting it in the top 40 grossers of all time when adjusted for inflation, according to Box Office Mojo.

Love Story also is one of the most profitable features ever. Made for less than $2 million — Hiller had to raise his right hand and swear to Paramount executive Robert Evans that he would bring in the film under that figure — it enabled the financially troubled studio to survive and make such subsequent hits as Chinatown and The Godfather.

“The movie caught on like wildfire,” Hiller, who won a Golden Globe for his work, once said. “I remember driving past one theater where it was playing and seeing a line four blocks long!

“Many moviegoers wanted a respite from the type of films … a change of pace. Love Story was just what the title indicated, just what we promised; Erich called it ‘an affirmation of the human spirit.’ He was right, and at that particular moment in time, we were all looking for that affirmation.”

Hiller served as the 29th Academy president from 1993 to 1997

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/arthur-hiller-director-of-love-story-dies-at-191339160.html

Subject: Re: Director Arthur Hiller (Love Story)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/17/16 at 5:59 pm

I just found out that Arthur Hiller was the director of The Babe, which starred John Goodman as Babe Ruth. That film used to be one of my favorite sports films of all time, especially when I watched it a lot on MLB Network.  :\'(

Subject: Re: Director Arthur Hiller (Love Story)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/16 at 6:47 pm

Love is never having to say... You're dead.

Check for new replies or respond here...