inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Gene Wilder 83

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/16 at 3:28 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nephew-gene-wilder-star-mel-brooks-movies-dies-192526715.html?ref=gs

This just makes me so sad. I have ALWAYS loved him.  :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

Cat

Subject: Re: Gene Wilder 83

Written By: Howard on 08/29/16 at 3:38 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nephew-gene-wilder-star-mel-brooks-movies-dies-192526715.html?ref=gs

Cat

Wow, What a shock to me too, He was so hilarious. God R.I.P. Gene Wilder. :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/16 at 4:16 pm

I love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 08/29/16 at 4:21 pm

I remember when I first watched him as Willy Wonka when I was on a field trip at a classmates farm. A few of us watched this while the others played outside. I must of been about 10. This is sad news in deed.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/16 at 4:23 pm

As someone who tends to like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the 2005 remake with Johnny Depp) better than the 1972 Willy Wonka version, I'm not that surprised. Although, I feel sorry for the people who grew up with the original 1972 version, since they spent an hour and 30 minutes watching that movie.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/16 at 5:03 pm

I remember the first time I saw Willy Wonka-I saw it AT THE MOVIES. We had a nasty storm that day-so nasty that we lost electricity. After the storm past, the lights hadn't come on yet. So, my mother thought it would be a good idea to go to the movies (the neighborhood where the movie house was had electricity). We came in either where Charlie & Uncle Joe were floating around or where Verruca went down the garbage chute. Of course we stayed to watch the full movie at the next showing. And when we got home, we had lights.

I also had the record of it (still have it). My sister had a portable record player that was ac/dc. The funny thing about this player was if you put the batteries in backwards, the turntable would go in the opposite direction. I used to put the batteries in backwards on purpose because you know how funny the Oompa Lumpa song sounded backwards?  :D ;D ;D ;D  (I was just telling someone this story on Friday.)

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/29/16 at 5:15 pm

Cat

Oh em gee... it makes me sad too, to hear about this. :\'( :\'(

R.I.P. Willy Wonka.

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/29/16 at 5:20 pm

Hard as this news is, I have to say:
The Gipper, Scotty, Moses, and now Willy Wonka?
DAMN YOU TO HELL, MR. ALZHEIMER!
Sure, people are losing their minds and eventually dying pointlessly, but apparently, science believes that we need faster and smaller phones so much more? Every stinking year we see new things that the iPad, Smartphone, and laptop can do, so why can't they have doctors toss in an app that cures the diseases that are killing children and the elderly? Where have our priorities gone?

That ranted, I was not a BIG fan of Willy Wonka, but I have always enjoyed Mel Brooks films and Gene's movie work with Richard Pryor. I have to see if any library around here has "Silver Streak" available to borrow. It's almost impossible to believe that we've heard the last from that "world of pure imagination". Rest In Peace, Gene. Give our love to Richard and Gilda up there.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/29/16 at 5:21 pm

I remember the first time I saw Willy Wonka-I saw it AT THE MOVIES. We had a nasty storm that day-so nasty that we lost electricity. After the storm past, the lights hadn't come on yet. So, my mother thought it would be a good idea to go to the movies (the neighborhood where the movie house was had electricity). We came in either where Charlie & Uncle Joe were floating around or where Verruca went down the garbage chute. Of course we stayed to watch the full movie at the next showing. And when we got home, we had lights.

I also had the record of it (still have it). My sister had a portable record player that was ac/dc. The funny thing about this player was if you put the batteries in backwards, the turntable would go in the opposite direction. I used to put the batteries in backwards on purpose because you know how funny the Oompa Lumpa song sounded backwards?  :D ;D ;D ;D  (I was just telling someone this story on Friday.)

Cat

You could actually do that to a portable record player? I thought it seemed impossible, since batteries have to go the right way in order to work. I guess it was different back then.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/16 at 5:54 pm

I am sadden by this news in more ways than one, I have briefly met Gene Wilder back in 1977 at a film premier, he was with Richard Pryor.

R.I.P. Gene Wilder  :\'(

Hard as this news is, I have to say:
The Gipper, Scotty, Moses, and now Willy Wonka?
DAMN YOU TO HELL, MR. ALZHEIMER!
Sure, people are losing their minds and eventually dying pointlessly, but apparently, science believes that we need faster and smaller phones so much more? Every stinking year we see new things that the iPad, Smartphone, and laptop can do, so why can't they have doctors toss in an app that cures the diseases that are killing children and the elderly? Where have our priorities gone?

That ranted, I was not a BIG fan of Willy Wonka, but I have always enjoyed Mel Brooks films and Gene's movie work with Richard Pryor. I have to see if any library around here has "Silver Streak" available to borrow. It's almost impossible to believe that we've heard the last from that "world of pure imagination". Rest In Peace, Gene. Give our love to Richard and Gilda up there.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

It was at the premier of "Silver Streak" where I met Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 08/29/16 at 6:13 pm

I love this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g

Cat

R.I.P. Gene Wilder :\'(  I only saw this movie once or twice, but this is sad news, it's always sad when someone dies.

My mom used to play this (different version, but the same feeling) song when I was a kid, love it so much.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/29/16 at 7:24 pm

So sad - I loved him in one of my all time favorites,  Silver Streak    :\'(  :\'(    :\'(

The original movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e526IbNlQ98

R.I.P. Gene Wilder

Written By: Howard on 08/30/16 at 3:13 pm

I am sadden by this news in more ways than one, I have briefly met Gene Wilder back in 1977 at a film premier, he was with Richard Pryor.

R.I.P. Gene Wilder  :\'(
It was at the premier of "Silver Streak" where I met Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor.

Were they doing a film? ???

Written By: Howard on 08/30/16 at 3:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5O5jd5cqZA
Fuzzy Wuzzy Was A Woman. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/16 at 7:41 pm

Were they doing a film? ???
They were promoting the film by attending the premier for their film.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/16 at 12:44 am

Wonka kids pay tribute to Gene Wilder

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37220788

One of Gene Wilder's best-loved performances was as Willy Wonka in the 1971 film Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.
The child stars who played Augustus Gloop, Veruca Salt and Violet Beauregarde have been paying their tributes to the actor, who has died aged 83.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/31/16 at 5:35 am

I haven't seen any tributes from SNL musician G. D. Smith yet.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/06/16 at 7:12 am

Cat

Funny how memories like that can feel like just yesterday! I was in grade school, second grade I believe, when we were shown Willy Wonka in class. It never got old seeing it again in my teens. Classic movie. By the way, ever read the book? I was surprised how certain things were different in the story than in the movie, for instance the Oompa Loompas.

As someone who tends to like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the 2005 remake with Johnny Depp) better than the 1972 Willy Wonka version, I'm not that surprised. Although, I feel sorry for the people who grew up with the original 1972 version, since they spent an hour and 30 minutes watching that movie.

I preferred the original. Johnny Depp might be a good actor, just not for THAT roll. I have to admit he was plenty creepy in that one.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 7:50 am

I preferred the original. Johnny Depp might be a good actor, just not for THAT roll. I have to admit he was plenty creepy in that one.

Who would you think would be a better actor for Willy Wonka in the remake? I may seem to think that Johnny Depp seemed to be a bit young when playing Wonka at the time.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/06/16 at 7:57 am

Who would you think would be a better actor for Willy Wonka in the remake? I may seem to think that Johnny Depp seemed to be a bit young when playing Wonka at the time.

Jon C Riley could have been given a shot at it. The look is a little more similar and he did a good job portraying that vampire in Cirque Du Freak. Johnny Depp's character looked too young and clown like with the caked on white face paint and OTT perkiness.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 8:00 am

Jon C Riley could have been given a shot at it. The look is a little more similar and he did a good job portraying that vampire in Cirque Du Freak. Johnny Depp's character looked too young and clown like with the caked on white face paint and OTT perkiness.

As somebody who actually prefers the remake, I agree with this. When comparing Johnny Depp to Gene Wilder with Willy Wonka, Wilder seems more accurate with how Wonka was described. I don't know if Roald Dahl could've liked who would play Wonka better, but John C. Riley could've been a better actor in the remake.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/06/16 at 8:22 am

As somebody who actually prefers the remake, I agree with this. When comparing Johnny Depp to Gene Wilder with Willy Wonka, Wilder seems more accurate with how Wonka was described. I don't know if Roald Dahl could've liked who would play Wonka better, but John C. Riley could've been a better actor in the remake.

The only thing more accurate in the Johnny Depp version was how the Oompa Loompas were portrayed, but they weren't the main characters. I think John C. Riley or maybe Will Ferrell to a lesser degree would have been better choices.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/06/16 at 8:23 am

The only thing more accurate in the Johnny Depp version was how the Oompa Loompas were portrayed, but they weren't the main characters. I think John C. Riley or maybe Will Ferrell to a lesser degree would have been better choices.

I'll rather chose John C. Riley, since I don't think Will Ferrell wouldn't make the remake better.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/16 at 10:50 am

Funny how memories like that can feel like just yesterday! I was in grade school, second grade I believe, when we were shown Willy Wonka in class. It never got old seeing it again in my teens. Classic movie. By the way, ever read the book? I was surprised how certain things were different in the story than in the movie, for instance the Oompa Loompas.

Yes, I read the book (well, listened-audio book). Actually, come to think of it, my sister read the story to me when I was a kid. I TRIED to listen to the Great Glass Elevator (the sequel) but just couldn't get into it.

I LOVE Johnny Depp but he was HIDEOUS as Willy Wonka (and Barnabas Collins). They totally rewrote the story-which I really hate. At least the original movie, they kept fairly close to the book.

My two favorite Gene Wilder movies are Willy Wonka & Young Frankenstein.

What was funny when I went to see YF, I didn't want to go. I really didn't want to see some horror movie but I was outvoted. I was with my sister, my dad & his girlfriend. My dad was so cheapo that we brought our own popcorn. How embarrassing was that?! At the beginning of the movie where they opened the coffin, my sister started laughing. That is when I relaxed and realize it wasn't a horror movie after all. Now it is one of my all-time favorite movies.

Cat

Subject: Re: Gene Wilder 83 HOAX

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/19 at 5:45 pm

Warning: There is a hoax story running on the Internet that Gene Wilder recently passed away.

He passed away in August 2016.

Written By: nally on 06/11/19 at 5:55 pm

Warning: There is a hoax story running on the Internet that Gene Wilder recently passed away.

He passed away in August 2016.

Well, he would have turned 86 today if he were still alive.

I am well aware that he already died.

Written By: annimal on 06/11/19 at 10:10 pm

You ever heard of the Waco Kid?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/19 at 1:13 am

Well, he would have turned 86 today if he were still alive.

I am well aware that he already died.
There are many items floating around on the Internet and World Wide Web, shouldn't someone start clearing it up?

Check for new replies or respond here...