inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jerry Heller: Waaaay Outta Compton

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/03/16 at 11:05 pm

https://www.yahoo.com/music/jerry-heller-former-n-w-141057974.html

Jerry Heller, the NWA manager portrayed by Paul Giamatti in the 2015 film Straight Outta Compton, is definitely not in Compton anymore. :( He was 75.

Heller died after suffering a medical emergency while driving that resulted in him sustaining serious injuries after crashing his minivan in California. It's still unclear whether Heller died from the medical emergency or the injuries from the crash.

Heller started his career in the music industry as an agent and promoter, working with artists like Creedence Clearwater Revival, Marvin Gaye, the Who and Black Sabbath in the Sixties and Seventies.

By the mid-Eighties, as hip-hop swelled in popularity, Heller co-founded Ruthless Records with Eazy-E; the Compton rapper reportedly paid Alonzo Williams of the World Class Wreckin' Cru, another Heller-signed act that featured Dr. Dre, for an introduction to the manager.

RIP

Subject: Re: Jerry Heller: Waaaay Outta Compton

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/16 at 11:07 pm

So sad, I had planned to see that film, but never got round to it.

RIP Jerry Heller.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/03/16 at 11:20 pm

So sad, I had planned to see that film, but never got round to it.

RIP Jerry Heller.

He would have preferred you did not, as it portrayed him in a pretty negative light, essentially the same as Love & Mercy's villain Eugene Levy, who was also portrayed by Paul Giamatti in a music biopic released the same year.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/04/16 at 5:20 pm

Whatever light Jerry was portrayed in, I highly recommend the film, especially on Blu-ray with a good sound system (I wish.  :\'( #audiophileproblems) or good headphones (Lucky me. :)). Giamatti was awesome, as was Cube Jr. as his dad.

Speaking of the movie...

Jerry Heller's attorney claims 'Straight Outta Compton' deserves blame for his client's death

You know, when Jonathan Frid died, people joked that Tim Burton's comedic Dark Shadows film contributed to his death. Someone on IMDb joked that Frid's last words were "It's a comedy???" This despite the fact that Frid himself made a cameo and seemed good-natured about it.

We'll never know if SOC caused Jerry's death, but stranger things have happened.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/16 at 5:48 pm

As much as I like the NWA, he deserves to be recognized as one of the most influential managers for any hip hop group. I don't really mind if he was portrayed in a negative light on Straight Outta Compton, but at least he did try to make him look a bit accurate. Besides, the movie actually focuses more on Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, MC Ren, and DJ Yella for most of the movie. Especially when they're responsible for starting the group.

Check for new replies or respond here...