inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jose Fernandez killed from boating accident

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/25/16 at 10:27 am

24-year-old Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez, died tragically from a boat accident in Miami Beach today. Emergency workers found the boat up against the jetties near Government Cut and South Pointe Park and found three victims; two on top of the water, and one underneath the boat.

http://bringmethenews.com/2016/09/25/mlb-star-jose-fernandez-dies-in-a-boating-accident/

Subject: Re: Jose Fernandez killed from boating accident

Written By: nally on 09/25/16 at 9:41 pm

I heard about it this morning... this is just really sad. :\'( :\'( The guy had a LOT of potential, considering he'd been in the majors for 4 years.

And to get killed so young...that's gotta be really hard for his family and friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Fernandez family, as well as the Miami Marlins team personnel.

The team even cancelled their game with the Braves today, in light of this. (It's not going to be made up, especially since the Braves are long out of contention, and the Marlins are gradually slipping away from the wildcard as it is.)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/26/16 at 4:48 pm

I heard about it this morning... this is just really sad. :\'( :\'( The guy had a LOT of potential, considering he'd been in the majors for 4 years.

And to get killed so young...that's gotta be really hard for his family and friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Fernandez family, as well as the Miami Marlins team personnel.

The team even cancelled their game with the Braves today, in light of this. (It's not going to be made up, especially since the Braves are long out of contention, and the Marlins are gradually slipping away from the wildcard as it is.)

Amen to that. It doesn't really matter that the Marlins go to the playoffs this year, since they haven't gone through any of the Wild Card top two for a long time.

Written By: nally on 09/26/16 at 4:52 pm

Amen to that. It doesn't really matter that the Marlins go to the playoffs this year, since they haven't gone through any of the Wild Card top two for a long time.

That's true, they have only hit the postseason twice in their franchise history: 1997 and 2003, both as the Wild Card team... and won the World Series both times.

By the way, I happened to watch part of a press conference last night (recorded earlier in the day), and everyone was heartbroken over losing him, including manager Don Mattingly.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/26/16 at 4:57 pm

That's true, they have only hit the postseason twice in their franchise history: 1997 and 2003, both as the Wild Card team... and won the World Series both times.

By the way, I happened to watch part of a press conference last night (recorded earlier in the day), and everyone was heartbroken over losing him, including manager Don Mattingly.

It feels sad that Jose never really got the spotlight, since he was probably like the next Marlins all-start to get them to the playoffs. But even if I would pity that, it's just sad since he wasn't even 25. Not to mention that he only got his U.S. citizenship a year ago. Maybe some day, the Marlins might try to win back another Commissioner's Trophy next year. But for now, it's just safe to say that the Marlins wouldn't grasp on getting a Wild Card spot in this season.

Written By: nally on 09/26/16 at 5:33 pm

It feels sad that Jose never really got the spotlight, since he was probably like the next Marlins all-start to get them to the playoffs.

Yeah... even though he was a friendly guy to be around, as noted by many players and ex-players, on tv.

But even if I would pity that, it's just sad since he wasn't even 25. Not to mention that he only got his U.S. citizenship a year ago.

True in both respects. The age thing, btw, sorta reminds me of Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart, who was killed in an automobile wreck in early 2009, at just 22, only a few hours after pitching against the A's in Anaheim (he would have turned 30 last month had he lived); this guy had potential to possibly be another key pitcher to represent the Angels in the years ahead.

Maybe some day, the Marlins might try to win back another Commissioner's Trophy next year. But for now, it's just safe to say that the Marlins wouldn't grasp on getting a Wild Card spot in this season.

Definitely not this year. They have the same record as the Pirates heading into play today, btw.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/26/16 at 5:42 pm

Yeah... even though he was a friendly guy to be around, as noted by many players and ex-players, on tv.

True. Although, it made me think that it wasn't for the stats, since he was just in his fourth year of MLB at the time he died.

True in both respects. The age thing, btw, sorta reminds me of Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart, who was killed in an automobile wreck in early 2009, at just 22, only a few hours after pitching against the A's in Anaheim (he would have turned 30 last month had he lived); this guy had potential to possibly be another key pitcher to represent the Angels in the years ahead.

For that, they haven't been noticeable towards the American League, not even the AL West. Even though they were in the playoffs two years ago, but didn't get a lot of wins.

Definitely not this year. They have the same record as the Pirates heading into play today, btw.

Except the Pirates are doing better. Despite both of them not reaching a Wild Card spot this year.

Check for new replies or respond here...