inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: George Michael gone at 53

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/25/16 at 5:14 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38432862

Say it ain't so  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. George Michael

Subject: Re: George Michael gone at 53

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/16 at 5:23 pm

What the bloody hell? 53 is just too damn young! As if this year hadn't taken away enough musical legends already.

Not a very pleasant story to hear of on Christmas Day. This really attaches such a sad irony to "Last Christmas" forever. :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 5:33 pm

First we had all of these noble people die throughout the year, now we have George Michael dying on Christmas Day. GEORGE F*CKING MICHAEL!!! I may not be a big fan of Wham, but it's pretty sad seeing him die very young.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/16 at 5:43 pm

I read where he died of pneumonia. Seems sort of odd for his age. I wonder if there is more to the story?

2016 continues its path of destruction.  :-\\

Written By: Howard on 12/25/16 at 5:44 pm

What the bloody hell? 53 is just too damn young! As if this year hadn't taken away enough musical legends already.

Not a very pleasant story to hear of on Christmas Day. This really attaches such a sad irony to "Last Christmas" forever. :\'(

2016 has been one bitch of a year for celebrity singers to pass away, I grew up with Wham and George Michael during the 80's. I guess you could say this was his "Last Christmas".  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 12/25/16 at 5:46 pm

I read where he died of pneumonia. Seems sort of odd for his age. I wonder if there is more to the story?

Prince, Glenn Frey, David Bowie and now George Michael.  :\'(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 5:46 pm

Well, he did have a few infections prior to his death. I didn't know it would be that serious.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/16 at 5:50 pm

I grew up with Wham and George Michael during the 80's.

At least we still have Andrew Ridgely.

http://www.nndb.com/people/785/000086527/andrew-ridgeley-1-sized.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/16 at 5:51 pm

What a shocker! He was my age.  :o :o Never a BIG fan of Wham but I do like some of their songs. This is my fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/25/16 at 6:07 pm

I hope that's a good thing.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/16 at 6:09 pm

What a shocker! He was my age.  :o :o Never a BIG fan of Wham but I do like some of their songs. This is my fav.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izGwDsrQ1eQ

Cat

I liked "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/25/16 at 6:21 pm

I liked "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go".

I like it, too-just not as much as Careless Whisper. Never cared for the song Last Christmas.

Cat

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 6:22 pm

Yeah, but I don't think a lot of people notice him. George Michael was well known for his solo career, not just Wham.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 6:23 pm

I like it, too-just not as much as Careless Whisper. Never cared for the song Last Christmas.

Cat

Careless Whisper, Everything She Wants, Last Christmas, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, and Older are pretty much the only songs that I knew from him. But they were all memorable to me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/16 at 6:23 pm

Did George Michael ever perform with Pitbull?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Pitbull_the_rapper_in_Sydney,_Australia_(2012).jpg/230px-Pitbull_the_rapper_in_Sydney,_Australia_(2012).jpg

Written By: aja675 on 12/25/16 at 6:25 pm

This kinda thing makes me envy psychopaths.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/25/16 at 6:58 pm

Ugh. Seriously, fudge you, 2016. You're the only year this decade that I've hated. Sad that Obama's last year in office is almost as sheeshty as Bush's. C'est la vie.

I've been holding out hope that Carrie Fisher will pull through, and 2016 pulls this stunt on me? And we were just listening to "Last Christmas" on Youtube yesterday. Damn, have you no dignity, 2016?

I first heard of George Michael through his 1998 arrest, but man was his music great. I know a tiny bit of his catalog, but it's pretty good stuff.

RIP  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/16 at 8:12 pm

TMZ is reporting cause of death was heart failure.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/16 at 9:11 pm

This kinda thing makes me envy psychopaths.

If there's a hell, I wouldn't envy them too much.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/16 at 9:11 pm

R.I.P.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 9:16 pm

Ugh. Seriously, fudge you, 2016. You're the only year this decade that I've hated. Sad that Obama's last year in office is almost as sheeshty as Bush's. C'est la vie.

Nah. Not by a lot. At least this country is economically fine since Obama took care of everything. Bush on the other hand was just hated by the time Obama got elected.

I've been holding out hope that Carrie Fisher will pull through, and 2016 pulls this stunt on me? And we were just listening to "Last Christmas" on Youtube yesterday. Damn, have you no dignity, 2016?

This!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/16 at 9:17 pm

I would rather envy people who are in hell, since we're already living in it right now.

Written By: nally on 12/25/16 at 10:42 pm

2016 has been one bitch of a year for celebrity singers to pass away, I grew up with Wham and George Michael during the 80's. I guess you could say this was his "Last Christmas".  :\'(

Yeah, that's one way to put it. :\'(

I can think of a couple other notable singers who passed away on Christmas Day: James Brown in '06 (just 10 years ago); and Dean Martin in '95.

Written By: nally on 12/25/16 at 10:44 pm

Careless Whisper, Everything She Wants, Last Christmas, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, and Older are pretty much the only songs that I knew from him. But they were all memorable to me.

The first four of those, he recorded with Wham; they're memorable to me too. He had a few decent solo hits too, with "Faith", "Father Figure", "Freedom 90" (which was titled this way to differentiate from his "Freedom" hit with Wham), "Fast Love"; to name a few.

Written By: aja675 on 12/25/16 at 10:54 pm

I envy "What's empathy? Is it a food?" people more than I envy people who are both numb and angry.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/25/16 at 11:55 pm

Man, this sucks! Wham had a ton of good cheesy 80's hits!

Did George Michael ever perform with Pitbull?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c2/Pitbull_the_rapper_in_Sydney,_Australia_(2012).jpg/230px-Pitbull_the_rapper_in_Sydney,_Australia_(2012).jpg

I wish. Pitbull often contributes with a lotta morons. George Michael and Pitbull would of made an epic collab. 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/16 at 12:06 am

I envy "What's empathy? Is it a food?" people more than I envy people who are both numb and angry.

I get what you mean. Emotions can sting sometimes. :.sigh:.

Written By: tv on 12/26/16 at 12:29 am

As a person who sees awkward parallels to things its odd that George Michael died on Christmas and he had a song called "Last Christmas".

I do wonder if George Michael knew if he was gonna pass away this soon because he was having heart failure or he didn't know about the heart failure to start with. I guess we will find out in the coming days what the situation was with his passing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 10:07 am

Pitbull often contributes with a lotta morons. George Michael and Pitbull would of made an epic collab. 8)

Except that George Michael is usually calm and slow with his music, while Pitbull is upbeat as hell.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 10:08 am

I do wonder if George Michael knew if he was gonna pass away this soon because he was having heart failure or he didn't know about the heart failure to start with. I guess we will find out in the coming days what the situation was with his passing.

Well, some media outlets already said that he might died of heart failure.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/26/16 at 10:13 am

Except that George Michael is usually calm and slow with his music, while Pitbull is upbeat as hell.

You need to listen to more George Michael then because he has a lot of upbeat dance songs like Outside, Too Funky, Faith, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, etc. I'd say he has more upbeat songs than calm and slow tunes. When Pitbull has songs with funky beats like Pause and You Took My Love, I think George Michael would of been a more than excellent collaboration with Pitbull and a much needed improvement over the chumps he usually sings with.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/16 at 10:31 am

You need to listen to more George Michael then because he has a lot of upbeat dance songs like Outside, Too Funky, Faith, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, etc. I'd say he has more upbeat songs than calm and slow tunes. When Pitbull has songs with funky beats like Pause and You Took My Love, I think George Michael would of been a more than excellent collaboration with Pitbull and a much needed improvement over the chumps he usually sings with.

George Michael would be considered 'edgy' if Pitbull was involved.  :o  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 11:06 am

But Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go isn't really in the same upbeat tune as most of Pitbull's songs.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/26/16 at 12:43 pm

Y'all will never know how this royally scalped me yesterday. I have a news app that will ping and pop up no matter what I'm doing on my laptop and when it popped up I was chatting with my friend Jenn. I had to take a long moment. Then I broke it to her..then I broke it to my social media followers and everyone is in an uproar.
I am literally so sick of this damn year with it snatching all the best musicians from my childhood. Bowie, Prince, now George Michael  :\'( I hate 2016.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/26/16 at 12:57 pm

George Michael would be considered 'edgy' if Pitbull was involved.  :o  :o

He already was very edgy as it is. 8)

But Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go isn't really in the same upbeat tune as most of Pitbull's songs.

That's not the only song I mentioned. Outside is definitely in a similar style to a song like Pitbull's Took My Love. Listen to an album like Older and compare those to Mr. Worldwide's albums like Planet Pit and Globalization. Pitbull incorporated dancy rhythms that George Michael was already using way back in the mid 1990's. Even Mr. WW's recent hit Fun takes us back to an 80's style of dance music that George Michael had used on songs like Too Funky and I Want Your Sex. It would only make sense if the two teamed up for a song or two and it makes me sad they hadn't had the chance to do so. :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 2:09 pm

That's not the only song I mentioned. Outside is definitely in a similar style to a song like Pitbull's Took My Love. Listen to an album like Older and compare those to Mr. Worldwide's albums like Planet Pit and Globalization. Pitbull incorporated dancy rhythms that George Michael was already using way back in the mid 1990's. Even Mr. WW's recent hit Fun takes us back to an 80's style of dance music that George Michael had used on songs like Too Funky and I Want Your Sex. It would only make sense if the two teamed up for a song or two and it makes me sad they hadn't had the chance to do so. :-\\

George Michael sounds purely 80s and 90s, while Pitbull just imitates peoples' styles from the 80s. I don't know if that might be a good thing for them, since it's not like I haven't listened to anything modern since 2011.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/16 at 2:43 pm

Well, some media outlets already said that he might died of heart failure.

TMZ is also now reporting that Mr. Michael had added a huge amount of weight recently. The photos they shows of him were nearly unrecognizable.  :-\\

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/26/16 at 2:51 pm

TMZ is also now reporting that Mr. Michael had added a huge amount of weight recently. The photos they shows of him were nearly unrecognizable.  :-\\

Well, that doesn't seem satisfying to me, but it's not great dying either.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/16 at 2:56 pm

Well, that doesn't seem satisfying to me, but it's not great dying either.

I think they are tieing the massive weight gain to the heart failure.

Although we need to be cautious of the "heart failure" talk at this point. When somebody dies, the heart always stops. The real issue is which came first, and why.

I had a buddy who met an untimely end, and I am not at liberty to tell people how he died. As a result, occasionally if I am asked "How did Dave die?", I simply say that "his heart stopped".  Which is not incorrect, but at the same time does not really explain the causality.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:00 pm

Cat

Why not? too sappy? ???

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:02 pm

As a person who sees awkward parallels to things its odd that George Michael died on Christmas and he had a song called "Last Christmas".

maybe he had a premonition?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:04 pm

I didn't think he was overweight?  ???

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:07 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYX0sjP6Za8
Club Tropicana

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/16 at 3:10 pm

I didn't think he was overweight?  ???

The pics on TMZ (and some other sites) show him extremely bloated.

Written By: nally on 12/26/16 at 3:13 pm

Wow. :o I hadn't realized he'd gotten like that in his later years.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/16 at 3:49 pm

Wow, that's incredible.  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/26/16 at 5:42 pm

Why not? too sappy? ???

It never did anything for me-don't care for the lyrics and don't care for the melody.

Cat

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/16 at 6:55 pm

This is so sad. And I hate TMZ. It's messed up to show photos of dead or sick people.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/26/16 at 9:14 pm

http://i.imgur.com/oBr4Vub.png

Last Christmas for George Michael?  Last Christmas for EVERYBODY! 

Lemmy, Bowie, uncountable others; if there's a hell, at least the music will be good when we all get there next year.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 4:50 am

Lemmy, Bowie, uncountable others; if there's a hell, at least the music will be good when we all get there next year.

This 100%!

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/27/16 at 4:56 am

Maybe it's time for the Righteous Brothers to issue a 2016 update to "Rock and Roll Heaven".

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/27/16 at 7:17 am

So sad, on the night of Christmas Eve and into the early hours of Christmas Day, at our Karaoke party "Last Christmas" was the most song sung, but this was at the time before his death.

:\'(

Written By: Ripley on 12/27/16 at 11:50 am

So sad, on the night of Christmas Eve and into the early hours of Christmas Day, at our Karaoke party "Last Christmas" was the most song sung, but this was at the time before his death.

I have been thinking about him a lately, now I know why. I have ESP so perhaps that's why.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 3:09 pm

It never did anything for me-don't care for the lyrics and don't care for the melody.

Cat

his lyrics for Last Christmas didn't make much sense.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/27/16 at 3:10 pm

his lyrics for Last Christmas didn't make much sense.

It was about Christmas, along with meeting a girlfriend. The title gave it away.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 3:10 pm

Maybe it's time for the Righteous Brothers to issue a 2016 update to "Rock and Roll Heaven".

That would be a good idea.

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 3:11 pm

How coincidental.  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/16 at 3:19 pm

Who's next on the Grim Reaper's list?

Written By: Howard on 12/27/16 at 3:31 pm

Who's next on the Grim Reaper's list?

My guess is as good as yours. ???

Written By: Katluver on 12/27/16 at 10:51 pm

2016 has not been a good year:  first it was Natalie Cole and now it's ending with George Michael (as well as Carrie Fisher).

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/16 at 12:05 am

Tales of George Michael's philanthropy have come to light in the wake of his death - including how he funded a couple's IVF treatment.
Former Deal or No Deal producer Richard Osman, who now co-presents Pointless, told how one contestant's partner had said she needed £15,000 for treatment.
The next day the singer phoned in to donate the money, Osman tweeted.
Family and friends were touched "beyond words" by the "outpouring of love" from Michael's fans, his publicist said.
Other stories of the star's benevolence, including a £50,000 Sport Relief donation, have emerged on social media.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38442559

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/28/16 at 7:17 am

I'm still sad. George Michael had so many good songs!

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 8:55 am

I'm still sad. George Michael had so many good songs!

What's one of your favorites?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/28/16 at 9:40 am

Careless Whisper, Older, Everything She Wants, and Last Christmas.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 9:54 am

Careless Whisper, Older, Everything She Wants, and Last Christmas.

for me, Wake Me Up Before You Go Go, Careless Whisper and Last Christmas to name a few.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/28/16 at 12:04 pm

I like songs like Too Funky, Father Figure, Hard Day, Outside and of course Careless Whisper and Wake Me Up Before You Go Go. Most of the Faith album is what I usually listen to when I listen to George Michael.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/16 at 2:50 pm

I like songs like Too Funky, Father Figure, Hard Day, Outside and of course Careless Whisper and Wake Me Up Before You Go Go. Most of the Faith album is what I usually listen to when I listen to George Michael.

I liked the cheesy George Michael and early Wham! days of music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAWc64fL4c0

Written By: Starde on 12/29/16 at 2:27 am

Lord knows I've been a big fan of George for awhile now. This one hurts. Hell, I still can't believe Prince and Bowie are gone too. What the f***... :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/16 at 9:27 pm

A post-mortem examination into the cause of George Michael's death was "inconclusive" police have said.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38470678

Written By: Howard on 12/31/16 at 7:58 am

Will Fadi Fawaz date again?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/16 at 8:19 am

Will Fadi Fawaz date again?

Who's he?

Written By: Howard on 12/31/16 at 8:34 am

Who's he?

That was his boyfriend.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/George+Michael+gets+cozy+boyfriend+Fadi+Fawaz+K9wzzWhbwE3x.jpg

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/31/16 at 8:37 am

That was his boyfriend.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/pc/George+Michael+gets+cozy+boyfriend+Fadi+Fawaz+K9wzzWhbwE3x.jpg

Oh. Maybe he could date Carrie Fisher's ex-husband Bryan Lourd.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/16 at 5:45 pm

Oh. Maybe he could date Carrie Fisher's ex-husband Bryan Lourd.

Depends on what Fadi is into.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/10/17 at 7:04 pm

I just saw on TMZ... Mr. Michael has not yet been buried as they are still investigating his death.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/11/17 at 7:11 am

I just saw on TMZ... Mr. Michael has not yet been buried as they are still investigating his death.  :o

What are they waiting for?  ::)

Written By: Ripley on 02/11/17 at 11:41 pm

To figure out what really went on. He didn't overdose I don't think. So maybe he had a heart blockage or something.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/17 at 3:26 am

What are they waiting for?  ::)

To figure out what really went on. He didn't overdose I don't think. So maybe he had a heart blockage or something.
Exactly! Looking for heart failure of a kind?

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/17 at 4:47 am

Was he a smoker at the time of his death?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/17 at 4:55 am

Good question, and is worth looking into?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/17 at 5:32 am

Previously he had smoked cannabis, around the time of his "Older" album (1996).

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/17 at 8:41 am

Exactly! Looking for heart failure of a kind?

Not sure why they need the body any more. They've likely taken all sorts of samples for toxicology, and a proper autopsy would identify heart blockage; it's one of the routine things they look for. This is all very weird.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/17 at 2:44 pm

Previously he had smoked cannabis, around the time of his "Older" album (1996).

What for? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/12/17 at 3:39 pm

What for? ???

To "get high".

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/17 at 7:10 pm

Not sure why they need the body any more. They've likely taken all sorts of samples for toxicology, and a proper autopsy would identify heart blockage; it's one of the routine things they look for. This is all very weird.

Indeed it is.

Written By: Ripley on 02/12/17 at 7:11 pm

What for? ???

Recreational my guess.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/17 at 11:22 pm

What for? ???
Inspiration?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/13/17 at 5:14 pm

Inspiration?

Inhalation?

Subject: Re: George Michael: died of natural causes reports coroner

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/17 at 2:59 am

George Michael died as a result of heart and liver disease, a coroner has confirmed. The pop star was suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, according to Darren Salter, senior coroner for Oxfordshire.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39193367

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/17 at 5:25 am

George Michael died as a result of heart and liver disease, a coroner has confirmed. The pop star was suffering from dilated cardiomyopathy with myocarditis and fatty liver, according to Darren Salter, senior coroner for Oxfordshire.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-39193367

I wonder if his family has a history of Herat disease?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/17 at 6:08 am

I wonder if his family has a history of Heart disease?
Interesting point, but it will down to his family to release that detail.

Subject: George Michael death: Ambulance staff quizzed over leaked 999 call

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/01/17 at 6:00 am

Two members of ambulance staff were interviewed by police after a 999 call made after George Michael died was leaked, a freedom of information request has revealed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-42192681

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/02/17 at 12:31 am

I wonder if his family has a history of Herat disease?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/george-michaels-cousin-reveals-star-10141937

One family member had a massive heart attack according to George's cousin Christopher Antoniou.  So maybe it's not that much of a stretch that he would have had a diseased heart.

Check for new replies or respond here...