inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tommy Allsup: Guitarist who avoided Buddy Holly plane crash dies

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/17 at 6:17 am

Rockabilly guitarist Tommy Allsup, who narrowly avoided boarding the plane that killed Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper, has died aged 85.
The musician famously lost a coin toss for a seat on the plane. His place was taken by teen star Ritchie Valens, who also perished when the plane crashed.
Allsup went on to become a Grammy-winning musician, who played with Merle Haggard, Roy Orbison and Willie Nelson.
He said he thought about the crash, and thanked God, every day of his life.
The musician died on Wednesday at a hospital in Springfield, Missouri, due to complications from a hernia operation, said his son Austin.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38594764

Subject: Re: Tommy Allsup: Guitarist who avoided Buddy Holly plane crash dies

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/14/17 at 10:05 am

I have often wondered how he felt. I thought he would have had survivor's guilt but the article I read said that he thought of it as a blessing and seemed to never forget the fact.

It is a shame to be remembered more as "the guy who lost the coin toss" rather than for his music. 

Cat

Subject: Re: Tommy Allsup: Guitarist who avoided Buddy Holly plane crash dies

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/17 at 12:45 pm

I have often wondered how he felt. I thought he would have had survivor's guilt but the article I read said that he thought of it as a blessing and seemed to never forget the fact.

It is a shame to be remembered more as "the guy who lost the coin toss" rather than for his music. 

Cat

Yeah. That's kind of the same situation as Donald Turnipseed, the guy who was in the accident with James Dean's car.

Check for new replies or respond here...