inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Jamiroquai's Toby Smith Gone at 46

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/14/17 at 8:22 am

Jamiroquai Founder Toby Smith is reported to have passed away Tuesday at the age of 46.  :-\\

No COD has been released yet.

Subject: Re: Jamiroquai's Toby Smith Gone at 46

Written By: #Infinity on 04/14/17 at 11:26 am

Oh no, only 46? And like David Bowie and Leonard Cohen, this news comes only a matter of days after the release of Jamiroquai's comeback album (although Toby Smith hasn't been with Jamiroquai since 2002).  :\'(

Few people in America know Jamiroquai except for being the band who did "Canned Heat," aka the disco song from Napoleon Dynamite, but they produced a whole bunch of classic soul-infused hits in the UK that provided a fresh alternative to all the synthesized r&b of the day. For a while, I imagined their lead singer was a black woman, faithful to the vocal style of the Motown soul divas from the 70s, so it came as a shock when I learned he was a white man (Jay Kay). Toby Smith was the keyboardist during the group's commercial heyday.

Written By: Ripley on 04/14/17 at 3:18 pm

I love Virtual Insanity! 😔

Written By: nally on 04/14/17 at 5:13 pm

That's the only song of theirs that I know; I remember when it was a hit 20 years ago. (Omgosh, has it been that long already?!)

Anyways, I had no idea that one of the band's members has just died; sorry to see him go. R.I.P Toby :\'(

Written By: Howard on 04/14/17 at 5:48 pm

I love that song.

Check for new replies or respond here...