inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chris Cornell passes away at age 52

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/18/17 at 3:28 am

I'm in complete shock! I only found out about his passing a few minutes ago. Chris Cornell was the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/18/chris-cornell-former-soundgarden-singer-dies-aged-52

RIP Chris. :(

Subject: Re: Chris Cornell passes away at age 52

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/18/17 at 3:52 am

No way!! One of my favourite living singers  :o
I don't think anyone expected that to happen, he looked so healthy  :\'( :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/18/17 at 3:59 am

NOOOOOOOOO  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/18/17 at 5:12 am

Have they announced a cause of death yet? ???

Written By: Howard on 05/18/17 at 7:07 am

They said it was sudden and unexpected, so nothing as of lately.  :(

Written By: Howard on 05/18/17 at 7:11 am

I'm in complete shock! I only found out about his passing a few minutes ago. Chris Cornell was the lead singer of Soundgarden and Audioslave.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/18/chris-cornell-former-soundgarden-singer-dies-aged-52

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/18/17 at 7:27 am

Eddie Vedder is now the only remaining lead singer from the original Grunge movement who is still alive. Still can't believe that Chris Cornell has passed away.  :\'(

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/17 at 8:00 am

I just woke up and heard the news. My stomach is gutted. It's gonna be a hard day. :\'(

Eddie Vedder is now the only remaining lead singer from the original Grunge movement who is still alive. Still can't believe that Chris Cornell has passed away.  :\'(

Yeah, unfortunately so, if you only count the big 5. The possible exception is Jerry Cantrell, since he sang lead on some of Alice in Chains' hits, like "Grind" and "Heaven Beside You," though Layne Staley was considered the group's true frontman. Mark Lanegan of Screaming Trees and Mark Arm of Mudhoney are also still alive, but those bands usually bubbled under the radar compared to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/17 at 8:32 am

Say it ain't so! I miss Audioslave's music on the radio, he was a good singer!  :\'(

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/18/17 at 9:26 am

I heard that it could possibly be a suicide by some sources.

It was the first thing I watched on TV today unfortunately. RIP Chris Cornell. :(

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/17 at 9:34 am

I heard that it could possibly be a suicide by some sources.

That would make Soundgarden's signature hit, "Black Hole Sun," all the sadder and eerier. :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/17 at 9:43 am

One of the few members who sang for his original band, a supergroup and solo. A talent that will be missed, no doubt. :\'(

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/18/17 at 10:12 am

Police are investigating his death as a possible suicide.  I think there's more to this than what they're saying.  His wife must be devastated?

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/18/17 at 10:32 am

I just woke up and heard the news. My stomach is gutted. It's gonna be a hard day. :\'(

Yeah, unfortunately so, if you only count the big 5. The possible exception is Jerry Cantrell, since he sang lead on some of Alice in Chains' hits, like "Grind" and "Heaven Beside You," though Layne Staley was considered the group's true frontman. Mark Lanegan of Screaming Trees and Mark Arm of Mudhoney are also still alive, but those bands usually bubbled under the radar compared to Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, and Soundgarden.

I'd count STP as one of the main grunge bands of the early to mid 90s, too, and of course Scott Weiland died a year and a half ago.

Written By: #Infinity on 05/18/17 at 11:02 am

I'd count STP as one of the main grunge bands of the early to mid 90s, too, and of course Scott Weiland died a year and a half ago.

I do consider STP part of the big 5, even though they did not come from Seattle.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/18/17 at 12:35 pm

I do consider STP part of the big 5, even though they did not come from Seattle.

Yeah, they were from California.

Anyway, here's an awesome Soundgarden song in memory of Chris Cornell, one of their earlier songs.

Outshined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNh-iw7gsuI

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/18/17 at 2:14 pm

Cause of death is known  :\'(

"I woke the same as any other day
except a voice was in my head"

I think I will put on Superunknown tonight.

Written By: Howard on 05/18/17 at 3:18 pm

That would make Soundgarden's signature hit, "Black Hole Sun," all the sadder and eerier. :(

Have you seen the video? ???

Written By: JordanK1982 on 05/18/17 at 3:35 pm

My brother called me early this morning and woke me up just to tell me about how "we lost another grunge legend". Was pretty shocking! Was never that into 90's grunge but Soundgarden was pretty good. Like most grunge, I really liked their 80's stuff best. I'm just learning now that he apparently hung himself. Makes it even worse. First George Michael gives Last Christmas a sadder new meaning and now Chris Cornell adds even more weight to the lyrics Black Hole Sun. R.I.P. :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/18/17 at 6:02 pm

Alice in Chains' drummer Mike Starr also passed away a few years ago.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/18/17 at 6:18 pm

:(
My brother called me early this morning and woke me up just to tell me about how "we lost another grunge legend". Was pretty shocking! Was never that into 90's grunge but Soundgarden was pretty good. Like most grunge, I really liked their 80's stuff best. I'm just learning now that he apparently hung himself. Makes it even worse. First George Michael gives Last Christmas a sadder new meaning and now Chris Cornell adds even more weight to the lyrics Black Hole Sun. R.I.P. :(

I agree wholeheartedly.

R.I.P. Chris Cornell (1964-2017) :\'(

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/18/17 at 6:22 pm

Man, I can imagine the pain that many people who were ages 15-25 from 1991-1996 feel right now that many of the "voices of their generation" when it comes to rock music are now almost all gone.

Kurt Cobain. Gone.
Layne Staley. Gone.
Scott Weiland. Gone.
Chris Cornell. Gone.

Only Eddie Vedder remains. We MUST protect him AT ALL COSTS.

Written By: nally on 05/18/17 at 6:23 pm

I am in complete shock too! :o I just found a link about it on Facebook.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/18/17 at 7:34 pm

I am in complete shock too! :o I just found a link about it on Facebook.

Yeah me too. Chris Cornell was the man with the golden voice.

RIP Chris.  You're gone but not forgotten.

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 05/18/17 at 11:00 pm

Of the lead singers of the Big Five grunge bands that broke out in the early 90s, Chris Cornell and Layne Staley had the best voices.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/18/17 at 11:41 pm

Chris sadly hung himself in the hotel.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/17 at 1:20 am

It is always sad when a notable person passes away.

:\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/17 at 5:42 am

It is always sad when a notable person passes away.

:\'(

Yeah. It seems to be happening a lot, lately too.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/19/17 at 10:57 am

Of the lead singers of the Big Five grunge bands that broke out in the early 90s, Chris Cornell and Layne Staley had the best voices.

Agreed. These were the two best rock vocalists from the last 30 years.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/17 at 3:37 pm

I really liked that 1 song of his. :(

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/20/17 at 8:40 am

Grunge is grunge, even if they don't come from Seattle.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/17 at 9:43 am

I just saw an article where people are already calling up the hotel where he died, and asking to set up reservations for his "death room".

Written By: #Infinity on 05/20/17 at 10:12 am

Grunge is grunge, even if they don't come from Seattle.

From what I hear, a lot of purists criticized Stone Temple Pilots for being inauthentic copycats because they weren't part of the original Seattle scene.

Written By: Howard on 05/20/17 at 4:52 pm

I just saw an article where people are already calling up the hotel where he died, and asking to set up reservations for his "death room".

You mean the room where he died?  ???

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/20/17 at 8:25 pm

From what I hear, a lot of purists criticized Stone Temple Pilots for being inauthentic copycats because they weren't part of the original Seattle scene.

Purists. There's the problem. They ruin everything. Seattle is one location, grunge is a style. Music styles tend to spread from their place of origin, how else would we have all the genres we have now?

That's just tacky. Visit his grave and leave flowers to pay respects to him then like all the people who make pilgrimages to Dimebag Darrel's grave.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/17 at 9:09 pm

Yep.  :o

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/17 at 9:11 pm

Surely forensics have not finished yet?

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 5:03 am

I don't think that's a good idea.  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/17 at 5:38 am

I don't think that's a good idea.  ::)

Just heard tonite from a friend of mine.  She just rented an apartment, and after she moved in was informed that a recent crime in which the tenant had been murdered, and then the corpse was raped, occurred there.

Man, that's some bad juju.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/21/17 at 4:56 pm

Just heard tonite from a friend of mine.  She just rented an apartment, and after she moved in was informed that a recent crime in which the tenant had been murdered, and then the corpse was raped, occurred there.

So whatever happened to the corpse? ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/21/17 at 5:18 pm

So whatever happened to the corpse? ???

Well eventually the Beaver County Medical Examiner picked it up.

Dude got convicted of 1st degree murder a month or so ago. He's in the slammer for life. No parole.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/17 at 1:19 am

Why do people have to know this sort of thing when looking to get a place? It would only scare potential buyers away.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/17 at 5:29 am

Why do people have to know this sort of thing when looking to get a place? It would only scare potential buyers away.

Apparently it is an attraction for some folks. They'd pay extra to get that room.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/22/17 at 5:46 pm

Apparently Chris's wife was upset when the coroner ruled his death a suicide.  She said that he wouldn't ever intentionally die and leave their kids.  He was taking anxiety drugs so that could have massively screwed him up.  But why would they announce a cause of death if the toxicology ressults aren't in yet? If he has insurance and the death is ruled a suicide then they won't pay out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/22/17 at 8:01 pm

Apparently Chris's wife was upset when the coroner ruled his death a suicide.  She said that he wouldn't ever intentionally die and leave their kids.  He was taking anxiety drugs so that could have massively screwed him up.  But why would they announce a cause of death if the toxicology ressults aren't in yet? If he has insurance and the death is ruled a suicide then they won't pay out.

Of course it was a suicide. They found him hanging by the neck, using his belt as a noose.

There is no way this will not be ruled anything other than what it is, unless they find that he was into erotic asphyxiation (like David Carridne was), or if they find evidence that he was forcibly hanged, neither one which is very unlikely.

Check for new replies or respond here...