inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US YouTube star and online actress Stevie Ryan dies aged 33

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/04/17 at 9:05 am

US YouTube star and online actress Stevie Ryan has died aged 33. An LA County Coroner's report says that she killed herself on Saturday. Stevie became well known for her parodies of famous people like Justin Bieber and Lady Gaga and had her own show, Stevie TV, on music channel VH1. That was cancelled after two series but some of her YouTube videos, which included characters like Little Loca and Sceney Sceneable, racked up millions of hits online. She'd battled with depression and her final tweet was a tribute to her grandfather, who died recently.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/40490566/us-youtube-star-and-online-actress-stevie-ryan-dies-aged-33

Subject: Re: US YouTube star and online actress Stevie Ryan dies aged 33

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/05/17 at 8:31 pm

Took her own life at 33 years young - so tragic  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Stevie Ryan

Written By: #Infinity on 07/06/17 at 1:57 pm

It's amazing how vitriolic people can be on YouTube. Being famous in the age of social media makes fame in even the 90s seem like countryside living. It's absolutely tragic that the Internet is so infested with malicious arseholes that an online celebrity can so easily be brought to fatal depression. Not that society has ever been totally civil, but stories like this one really make me pine for the days when at least some positivity and support seeped through the whirlwind, instead of all the crass, cold, and meaningless trash that now constitute the vast bulk of social discussions.

Though I honestly never heard of Stevie Ryan, I have a deep respect, admiration, and sympathy for celebrities like her, who are forced to confront daily inquires and pressures at every corner, to the point that it's easy for them to lose track of their own lives. It's a terrible shame that we lost her at such a youngh age and under such unfortunate circumstances. All I can hope for is that more people will someday come to realize how fragile people's hearts are, regardless of whether they're famous or not. Rest in peace. :(

Written By: 80sfan on 07/06/17 at 6:18 pm

If there is an afterlife, I hope she goes somewhere good.  :\'(

Written By: Sir Rothchild on 07/07/17 at 10:24 pm

It's amazing how vitriolic people can be on YouTube. Being famous in the age of social media makes fame in even the 90s seem like countryside living. It's absolutely tragic that the Internet is so infested with malicious arseholes that an online celebrity can so easily be brought to fatal depression. Not that society has ever been totally civil, but stories like this one really make me pine for the days when at least some positivity and support seeped through the whirlwind, instead of all the crass, cold, and meaningless trash that now constitute the vast bulk of social discussions.

I feel the same thing with YouTube now. It used to be known as an alternative to entertainment, but now it's just the main hub for anybody. People young and old get their information from certain channels, even though they have questionable beliefs towards the majority of the world. However, it just seems like people accept it everywhere on YouTube, where it feels like anybody could change facts to innocent people (mostly).

I don't think we'll ever get the YouTube we had from 2006-2011 again. The kind where Google+ didn't exist and the website didn't harm people's information. The kind where people could just enjoy whatever they want, instead of showing the most popular stuff in their faces. It's depressing that people don't have a choice on their videos anymore and get nasty recommendations on anything they watch, even if they don't like certain videos.

Check for new replies or respond here...