inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 1:12 pm

This was so heartbreaking to hear  :\'(

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

Subject: Re: Linkin Park singer Chester Bennington has committed suicide

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/20/17 at 1:20 pm

I did not expect this at all! Jesus Christ! :o

Even though I never really liked Linkin Park this is actually kinda sad. All those memories from back in the early 00's being forced to listen to Hybrid Theory by my sister over and over. :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 1:34 pm

Yeah, things like that really screw you up as you grow older, even if it happened to you as a child.  :\'(

Written By: #Infinity on 07/20/17 at 1:46 pm

This is absolutely tragic. Linkin Park was one of the best pop rock bands of the early 2000s. As was the case with Soundgarden and Chris Cornell, this news really haunts Linkin Park's darker, more existential songs.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/20/17 at 1:48 pm

What?!  :\'(  Same as with Chris Cornell, I did not get a sad vibe from him.. we will never know what is going on inside people  :\'(

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/17 at 2:21 pm

Damn first Cornell now Bennington. This is too tragic to bear :\'(.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/20/17 at 2:24 pm

One of my favorite songs from Linkin Park, its overplayed I know. But regardless it just evokes so much passion, pain, and anguish.

eVTXPUF4Oz4

RIP Chester Bennington

1976-2017.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/20/17 at 2:42 pm

I have this one on my phone for years now; often part of the daily traffic playlist :\'(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95KftL2H1g

Written By: Stillinthe90s on 07/20/17 at 3:14 pm

I did not expect this at all! Jesus Christ! :o

Even though I never really liked Linkin Park this is actually kinda sad. All those memories from back in the early 00's being forced to listen to Hybrid Theory by my sister over and over. :-\\

Yeah, Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory is a big part of what I remember as the soundtrack to my late 2000 and 2001. I liked it somewhat (wasn't my favorite but was good, and I would have those times again), but my younger brothers loved it, so I heard it a lot. It's very sad to hear of the lead singer's death.

Written By: Dude111 on 07/20/17 at 3:29 pm

Really very sad :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/17 at 4:06 pm

At the risk of sounding "conspiracy theoriy-ish", I have to wonder if this rash of suicides of well known people in recent years might be related to side effects from prescription drugs. Bennington, Cornell, musicians from my own Boomer era such as Fleetwood Mac's Bob Welch and Emerson Lake and Palmer's Keith Emerson, not to mention Robin Williams. Both Welch and Emerson had serious health issues (as did Williams) and Welch's window Wendy (since deceased herself) is on record as saying she blames his death on the pain medication pregabalin (Lyrica) which he had been on for six weeks. Think of those endless TV commercials for prescription drugs with their dreary litany of side effects. One of them frequently seems to be "may cause suicidal thoughts or actions".  Perhaps there are statistics on this.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/20/17 at 4:36 pm

At the risk of sounding "conspiracy theoriy-ish", I have to wonder if this rash of suicides of well known people in recent years might be related to side effects from prescription drugs. Bennington, Cornell, musicians from my own Boomer era such as Fleetwood Mac's Bob Welch and Emerson Lake and Palmer's Keith Emerson, not to mention Robin Williams. Both Welch and Emerson had serious health issues (as did Williams) and Welch's window Wendy (since deceased herself) is on record as saying she blames his death on the pain medication pregabalin (Lyrica) which he had been on for six weeks. Think of those endless TV commercials for prescription drugs with their dreary litany of side effects. One of them frequently seems to be "may cause suicidal thoughts or actions".  Perhaps there are statistics on this.

Maybe. Prescription drugs work with some people, and not with other ones. I always get the impression that it may numb down symptoms and give some relief. Regardless of pills, talking to a mental health worker is very important in my opinion, since pills will not let you forget your child trauma's and the root of your negative feelings. And even with therapy, confronting yourself can be too much, alas..

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/17 at 4:45 pm

One of my favorite songs from Linkin Park, its overplayed I know. But regardless it just evokes so much passion, pain, and anguish.

eVTXPUF4Oz4

RIP Chester Bennington

1976-2017.

Damn; I used to think of this as just a cheesy middle schoolboy "my life is the worst!" kind of song, but like #Infinity said, this news gives this song a whole new darker meaning. :(

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/17 at 5:21 pm

A mental scar is a very serious thing. The saying goes is though, never do drugs or alcohol if your depressed. Maybe he would have lived better without them.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/20/17 at 5:35 pm

I woke up this morning and heard about the news. I've liked and listened to Linkin Park since I was 4 years old and they were my favourite childhood band. So sad to hear that Chester has taken his own life. :( I'm really glad that I got to see them live now. RIP Chester. :(

Written By: nally on 07/20/17 at 5:41 pm

Oh no!! :o :o

This is rather shocking.

I know only a few songs by this band, but it is still very sad to hear that the frontman has just taken his own life. :\'( :\'( :\'(

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/20/17 at 8:48 pm

R.I.P., depression is a horrible thing.

I never was the biggest fan of Linkin Park but I do know they were very influential to most other people ages 15-35. This news must be heartbreaking to them, as well as Chester's family.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 8:53 pm

I've always liked their music, even though I heard the whole 'they're overrated' argument many times! Their first two albums sold millions.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/17 at 9:30 pm

It is always sad when a musician dies this sudden way.

R.I.P.  Chester Bennington

Written By: Dude111 on 07/20/17 at 11:16 pm

I have to wonder if this rash of suicides of well known people in recent years might be related to side effects from prescription drugs

Yes very well could be!!!!!!! (Or exposure to all this RF crap in the air can mess with your mind majorly also (Smart meters,etc))

Written By: 80sfan on 07/20/17 at 11:22 pm

Did he have depression?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/21/17 at 12:55 am

I was looking over some old Linkin Park songs again and there's the obvious ones like Crawling, In The End which are really sad to revist but then I came across Given Up (which I haven't heard in a while) and him literally screaming at the top of his lungs "put me out of my misery" and "I've given up, I'm sick of feeling" felt really f*cking heavy and sad.

My sister called me up today really shocked, too. We ended up spending a few hours on the phone going over the "good times" we had listening to Hybrid Theory and other nu metal albums.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/17 at 7:37 am

This was so heartbreaking to hear  :\'(

http://m.tmz.com/#article/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

Law enforcement sources tell us the singer hanged himself at a private residence in Palos Verdes Estates in L.A. County. His body was discovered Thursday just before 9 AM.

Chester was married with 6 children from 2 wives.

The singer struggled with drugs and alcohol for years. He had said in the past he had considered committing suicide because he had been abused as a child by an older male.

R.I.P. Chester :(

Written By: Emman on 07/21/17 at 12:03 pm

I knew Chester had a very troubled past, especially in comparison to the other Linkin Park band members but I was shocked to hear this news. Around 2000-2003 Linkin Park was my favorite band because they mixed alternative rock/grunge, metal, hip-hop, and electronica into a hybrid. I'm especially thinking about that In The End lyric, "I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it doesn't even matter". :\'(

Written By: Richbrings2life on 07/21/17 at 1:34 pm

In  my opinion the band influences those age 20-35 year olds, basically early 2000's teens and kids.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/21/17 at 7:46 pm

In  my opinion the band influences those age 20-35 year olds, basically early 2000's teens and kids.

I disagree, to be honest. Although they were most successful during the Early 2000s, they continued to remain popular and relevant in the mainstream until the Early 2010s. They were one of the biggest rock bands of the 2000s. I would say that they influenced 16-35 year olds.

Written By: Fearsword on 07/21/17 at 8:14 pm

:\'(

Written By: JordanK1982 on 07/23/17 at 1:18 am

I was on their Facebook page reading some of the posts and comments and I saw a few people talking about how they had friends who took their own lives because of this event. This is just so f*ckin sad... :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...