inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dick Gregory Passes Away

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/19/17 at 9:47 pm

Legendary stand up comedian Dick Gregory, who got his first big break doing a gig at Chicago's Playboy Club, at the behest of Hugh Hefner, (Hef paid him $50 for his first night  :o ) has passed away at the age of 84.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dick-gregory-dead-stand-up-comedy-legend-civil-rights-activist-was-84-1004479

Subject: Dick Gregory Passes Away

Written By: Dude111 on 08/19/17 at 9:51 pm

Very sad :(

Subject: Re: Dick Gregory Passes Away

Written By: annimal on 08/19/17 at 10:04 pm

didn't know this guy

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 7:31 am

Legendary stand up comedian Dick Gregory, who got his first big break doing a gig at Chicago's Playboy Club, at the behest of Hugh Hefner, (Hef paid him $50 for his first night  :o ) has passed away at the age of 84.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dick-gregory-dead-stand-up-comedy-legend-civil-rights-activist-was-84-1004479

http://flashbak.com//wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PA-9905175.jpg
He also tried to help Walter Hudson lose weight back in the late 1980's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/17 at 11:22 am

http://flashbak.com//wp-content/uploads/2014/06/PA-9905175.jpg
He also tried to help Walter Hudson lose weight back in the late 1980's.

I remember him. Here's some info about Walter from Wikipedia:

Walter Hudson (June 5, 1944 - December 24, 1991) of Hempstead, New York, is the holder of the Guinness World Record for the largest waist. It measured 109 inches :o in 1987 when he was at his peak weight of 978 pounds :o. Hudson described his average daily diet as consisting of two boxes of sausages, 1 pound (0.45 kg) of bacon, 12 eggs, a loaf of bread, four hamburgers and four double cheeseburgers, five large portions of fries, three ham steaks or two chickens, four baked potatoes, four sweet potatoes, most of a large cake, and additional snacks. He also drank an average of 7 liters of soda every day.

He must have spent most of the day on the can...  :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/20/17 at 11:28 am

Dick Gregory was one of those interesting figures from the 60s and 70s. He was on TV talk shows a lot back then. He was always billed as a "comedian" but by the time I started seeing him in the late 60s/early 70s or so he never seemed to tell any jokes or say anything funny or even satirical. It was strictly straight activism stuff and he was generally very serious. I also seem to recall he went on hunger strikes a lot for various causes.

Written By: nally on 08/20/17 at 11:34 am

I've heard of Dick Gregory. Sad that he's gone now. :\'(

Written By: Howard on 08/20/17 at 12:51 pm

I remember him. Here's some info about Walter from Wikipedia:

Walter Hudson (June 5, 1944 - December 24, 1991) of Hempstead, New York, is the holder of the Guinness World Record for the largest waist. It measured 109 inches :o in 1987 when he was at his peak weight of 978 pounds :o. Hudson described his average daily diet as consisting of two boxes of sausages, 1 pound (0.45 kg) of bacon, 12 eggs, a loaf of bread, four hamburgers and four double cheeseburgers, five large portions of fries, three ham steaks or two chickens, four baked potatoes, four sweet potatoes, most of a large cake, and additional snacks. He also drank an average of 7 liters of soda every day.

He must have spent most of the day on the can...  :-\\

Man, to look back of what he consumed, that was a lot of food, especially in 1 sitting! :o

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/20/17 at 3:34 pm

Man, to look back of what he consumed, that was a lot of food, especially in 1 sitting! :o

Makes you wonder who was bringing him all that food. My opinion, that was a criminal act.  >:(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/20/17 at 6:46 pm

He was an icon from my youth.  Sad to say goodbye  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Dick Gregory

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/20/17 at 9:03 pm

Have any of you seen his episode of TV One's Unsung? It was pretty interesting, and he was still alive for commentary. The clips they showed of his standup act, man, the jokes he told were knee-slappers.

And given recent events, the timing of his death is unfortunate. Just like Janet Reno dying on the eve of the election.

Man, to lose Dick Gregory and Jerry Lewis, two great comedians, one day apart...

RIP

Check for new replies or respond here...