inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Walter Becker - Can't Buy a Thrill

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/17 at 10:22 am

Legendary musician and Partner in the 70s/80s band Steely Dan, Walter Becker, has passed away at the age of 67 from an undisclosed illness.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

His band was famous for albums such as "Katy Lied", "Aja",  and "Can't Buy a Thrill".. just to name a few.

Songs included "Doctor Wu", "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", "Hey Nineteen" and countless other hits. Steely Dan was known for their smooooooooooth style.  8)

Subject: Re: Walter Becker - Can't Buy a Thrill

Written By: #Infinity on 09/03/17 at 11:43 am

Oh no, why must you always be the bearer of such bad news? Did I mention Steely Dan is one of my favourite bands of all time? I should feel thankful I got to see them live three years ago. Day ruined. :\'(

Thank you, Walter, for all the wonderful music, which brought so much joy and relaxation to my life for so many years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/17 at 11:44 am

Legendary musician and Partner in the 70s/80s band Steely Dan, Walter Becker, has passed away at the age of 67 from an undisclosed illness.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/walter-becker-steely-dan-co-founder-dead-at-67-w500956

His band was famous for albums such as "Katy Lied", "Aja",  and "Can't Buy a Thrill".. just to name a few.

Songs included "Doctor Wu", "Rikki Don't Lose That Number", "Hey Nineteen" and countless other hits. Steely Dan was known for their smooooooooooth style.  8)
He will be sadly missed.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/17 at 12:04 pm

Oh no - LOVE Steely Dan!!!  This make me so sad  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Walter Becker

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/03/17 at 12:20 pm

R.I.P. Walter Becker

We had the pleasure of seeing Steely Dan about six years ago at Ravinia - a popular outdoor venue in Chicagoland.  They were excellent.  When we got there, the lawn was so jam packed it was hard to relax.  During the show a fierce downpour of rain erupted; fortunately, we were equipped with ponchos.  Well, the audience thinned out quickly.  The band, being covered, continued on.  Suddenly we had tons of room.  So I did what came naturally - started dancing.  I must have been some sight, dancing in the downpour wearing that great big orange poncho.  Who cares - I was in my zone.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/03/17 at 3:08 pm

I loved Steely Dan, R.I.P. Walter Becker :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/17 at 3:19 pm

Oh no, why must you always be the bearer of such bad news?

Somebody's gotta do it...

Written By: nally on 09/03/17 at 7:25 pm

He will be sadly missed.  :\'(

He certainly will. :\'(

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/04/17 at 8:09 pm

R.I.P. Walter Becker

Agreed, my friend. I heard something about complications following surgery, so is Doctor Wu responsible? He did warn us back in '76 "Don't Take Me Alive". This one hurts deeply, we've now seen two of the 70's greatest songwriting duos come to an end. First Henley & Frey, now Fagen & Becker. I fear to think of who will be lost next.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/05/17 at 5:57 am

I'm so embarrassed. First off, I thought I knew four songs by them: Rikki, Do it Again, Reelin', and Just a Song Before I Go. Turns out Just a Song is by CSN.  :-know
And by losing it you'll feel better... when you get home

It's actually (Thank you, Google, unless you're lying to me and I was right all along):

Rikki don't lose that number
It's the only one you own
You might use it if you feel better

When you get home

Ugh!  :-[

RIP Walter.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/05/17 at 8:34 pm

...I thought I knew four songs by them...

Ya gotta check out their stuff from Aja - utterly amazing album!  How about this lineup:

Black Cow                          Home At Last
Aja                                    I Got The News
Deacon Blues                      Josie
Peg

I'll start it off: Home At Last - a mellow, jazzy, delicious groove:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7xyfZgaFXo

Check for new replies or respond here...