inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Monty Hall gets a Zonk

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 09/30/17 at 5:43 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/obituaries/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal.html?mcubz=3

Monty Hall, the genial host and co-creator of “Let’s Make a Deal,” the game show on which contestants in outlandish costumes shriek and leap at the chance to see if they will win the big prize or the booby prize behind door No. 3, died at his home in Beverly Hills, Calif., on Saturday. He was 96.

A daughter, Joanna Gleason, confirmed his death. She said the cause was heart failure.

“Let’s Make a Deal” had its premiere in late 1963 and, with some interruptions, has been a television phenomenon ever since.

Wow. I've been enjoying the Wayne Brady version lately. Monty was a legend. RIP.

Subject: Re: Monty Hall gets a Zonk

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/30/17 at 6:38 pm

Actually, I thought he died a long time ago.

I used to go into the kitchen and say, "LET'S MAKE A MEAL!!!"

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/30/17 at 6:53 pm

His obit says that he died of heart failure. I wonder if he was on a waiting list for a transplant? ???

When I was a kid me and my brothers watched LMAD every day with my Mom.

RIP Mr. Hall...  :\'(. Thanks for all those deals.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/30/17 at 7:02 pm

His obit says that he died of heart failure. I wonder if he was on a waiting list for a transplant? ???

Well, whatever the cause is, he'll surely be missed. :\'(

I know he was the long-running host of LMAD, but I only saw it in reruns.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/17 at 7:15 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/30/obituaries/monty-hall-dead-lets-make-a-deal.html?mcubz=3

Wow. I've been enjoying the Wayne Brady version lately. Monty was a legend. RIP.

R.I.P to Monty Hall, he will be missed.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/01/17 at 10:02 am

I watched Let's Make A Deal all the time as a kid - this is sad    :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Monty Hall

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/17 at 12:40 pm

He will be sadly missed!

While reading up on him, it mentioned The Monty Hall Problem, what was the Monty Hall Problem?

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/02/17 at 3:50 pm

While reading up on him, it mentioned The Monty Hall Problem, what was the Monty Hall Problem?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

In a nutshell:

became famous as a question from a reader's letter quoted in Marilyn vos Savant's "Ask Marilyn" column in Parade magazine in 1990 (vos Savant 1990a):

“Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?”

Vos Savant's response was that the contestant should switch to the other door (vos Savant 1990a). Under the standard assumptions, contestants who switch have a 2/3 chance of winning the car, while contestants who stick to their initial choice have only a 1/3 chance.

I'm watching LMAD right now, and I don't believe Wayne has mentioned Monty's death yet. Maybe a dedication at the end?

Update: Dedication at the very end, including a request to donate to UNICEF.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/17 at 4:12 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem

Many thanks.

Check for new replies or respond here...