inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late Report: Connie Hawkins Makes His Last Slam Dunk

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/15/17 at 12:34 pm

I am not sure how this was not reported much in the media. Legendary basketballer Connie Hawkins passed away at the age of 75 on October 6th.  COD was not reported.

Connie was blackballed from both the NCAA and the NBA for alleged involvement (for which he was never charged, let alone convicted) in a point shaving scheme at the University of Iowa. What made this all more absurd is that he was not even on the basketball team.

He then went on to play with my hometown Pittsburgh Rens of the old American Basketball League, being named their most valuable player. He then balled for the Harlem Globetrotters for four years, then joined the Pittsburgh Pipers as part of the American Basketball Association.  8). And again he was named MVP.

Ultimately he sued the NBA for his banishment and they paid him $1.3 million back in 1969, when that was a lot of money.

One of Connie's claims to fame is that at the age of 11 he was already able to dunk the ball.  :o

In 1992 his legacy got its due and he was brought into the Basketball Hall of Fame.

RIP Connie...  :\'(. My next dunk is for you.  :)

Subject: Re: Late Report: Connie Hawkins Makes His Last Slam Dunk

Written By: Indy Gent on 10/16/17 at 12:04 am

I remember him from Saturday Night Live playing One On One with Paul Simon, who was host. It was funny, with Paul  using his short size (At least compared to Hawkins,) to his advantage. RIP Connie Hawkins.

Check for new replies or respond here...