inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: David Ogden Stiers dies at 75

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/03/18 at 10:11 pm

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/03/david-ogden-stiers-dies-mash/

M*A*S*H actor David Ogden Stiers died of cancer on Saturday, his agent confirmed. He was 75.

“I am very sad to report that David died this morning March 3, 2018 peacefully at his home in Newport, Oregon after a courageous battle with bladder cancer,” Stiers’ agent, Mitchell K. Stubbs tweeted. “His talent was only surpassed by his heart.”

Stiers earned two Emmy nominations for his role on M*A*S*H as Major Charles Winchester III, a talented surgeon who filled the void left when Larry Linville’s Frank Burns left the series. Stiers starred on the series from 1977 to 1983.

Other credits included Better Off Dead, Jungle 2 Jungle, Frasier, TNG, Matlock, The First Olympics: Athens 1896. Apart from M*A*S*H, he may be best remembered as the voice of Cogsworth in Disney's original animated Beauty & the Beast.

RIP.

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2018/03/11644012-h_2018.jpghttps://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/david-ogden-stiers.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1

Subject: Re: David Ogden Stiers dies at 75

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/03/18 at 10:23 pm

RIP, Major Winchester.  :\'(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/03/18 at 10:48 pm

OH NO - I loved him as Major Winchester on M*A*S*H!!!  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers

Written By: #Infinity on 03/03/18 at 11:03 pm

He did a lot of voice work for Disney. In addition to Cogsworth, he played Ratcliffe and Wiggins in Pocahontas, Grandpa Piccolo in Porco Rosso, Kamajii in Spirited Away, the Archdeacon in The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and several projects on the Disney Channel.

It's a terrible shame his life was claimed by bladder cancer. Rest in peace.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/04/18 at 5:49 am

He was great as Ferret Face.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/18 at 7:46 am

http://ew.com/tv/2018/03/03/david-ogden-stiers-dies-mash/

Other credits included Better Off Dead, Jungle 2 Jungle, Frasier, TNG, Matlock, The First Olympics: Athens 1896. Apart from M*A*S*H, he may be best remembered as the voice of Cogsworth in Disney's original animated Beauty & the Beast.

RIP.

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/landscape_928x523/2018/03/11644012-h_2018.jpghttps://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/david-ogden-stiers.jpg?w=620&h=420&crop=1

R.I.P David Odgen Stiers

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/04/18 at 2:56 pm

:\'( :\'( :\'( :\'(

He was in a wonderful sleeper movie called Creator. I don't know why it was a sleeper because it had a GREAT cast-Peter O'Toole, Meryl Hemmingway, & Virginia Madson-along with David Ogden Stiers. It is one of my ALL-TIME favorite movies. If you haven't seen it, I recommend it HIGHLY.

He was excellent in M*A*S*H, which IMO one of the BEST shows EVER! Charles Emerson Winchester III was a pampas ass but there was also a human behind that exterior. I can't tell you how many times I will say when we are watching, "Be careful Charles, your humanity is showing again." He will be missed.

Ferret Face was Frank Burns, not Charles. FYI, the name Ferret Face came from Larry Linville's brother who called him that as a kid.

Cat

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/04/18 at 3:30 pm

Again we must sound Taps for M*A*S*H.
At least where Dr. Winchester is now going, he'll find his comrades Col. Potter and Fr. Mulcahy. And not a bastardly Col. Flagg or Baldwin in sight!
RIP, DOS. I always enjoyed watching you.

Your Pal,
Doc

:\'(

P.S.: Remaining survivors of the 4077(that I know of): Hawkeye, BJ, Hot Lips, Radar, Klinger, Nurse Kelly.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/05/18 at 2:41 pm

Frank Burns (Larry Linville) was Ferret Face. Charles Emerson Winchester was Chuck.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/05/18 at 9:39 pm

That just leaves Alan Alda, Mike Farrel, Loretta Swit, Jamie Farr, and Gary Burgoff as well as GW Bailey and a host of others left.

Written By: Indy Gent on 03/06/18 at 5:35 pm

That just leaves Alan Alda, Mike Farrel, Loretta Swit, Jamie Farr, and Gary Burgoff as well as GW Bailey and a host of others left.

Igor (Jeff Maxwell) the food dude is also still living.

Subject: David Ogden Stiers dies at 75

Written By: Dude111 on 03/06/18 at 9:18 pm

Very sad :(

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/18 at 5:44 am

They should have a reunion episode while they still can.

The plot could be the establishment of a M*A*S*H unit near the border between North and South Korea. Hawkeye and the gang are there to visit and reminisce, They end up treating a young North Korean who was injured trying to escape to the South. The escapee turns out to be Kim Jong-un.

A moral argument breaks out where the young MASH doctors want to just let Kim rot. But Hawkeye and Radar convince them that their duty is to preserve lives. After a heroic medical procedure performed mainly by BJ Honeycutt, Kim thanks him profusely for saving his life. Kim is then immediately killed by a falling meteor.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/07/18 at 10:49 am

Frank Burns (Larry Linville) was Ferret Face. Charles Emerson Winchester was Chuck.

Larry Linville died in 2000 of pneumonia. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/18 at 5:48 pm

Larry Linville died in 2000 of pneumonia.

Man, they're dropping like flies.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/07/18 at 7:52 pm

Man, they're dropping like flies.

And Wayne Rogers and William Christopher both died within a year of each other.

Check for new replies or respond here...