inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nikolai "The Executioner" Volkoff Leaves the Ring

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/29/18 at 1:12 pm

WWF Hall of Famer Nikolai "The Executioner" Volkoff has passed away today, after having been hospitalized for dehydration. He was 70 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Volkoff

In 1984, Volkoff teamed with with The Iron Sheik and captured the WWF Tag Team Championship. 8). If memory serves, this was the same year that the Sheik and Bruno Sammartino mopped up the floor with Dave "Rooster" Fleming, a washed-up CFL football player, and four of Fleming's buddies, in a real life fight in Picksburgh. Seems that Fleming confused Sammartino's advanced age with infirmity. ;D Fleming learned the hard way that messing with Bruno was a stupid idea. :o

Man, this has been a bad week for wrestling, with Brickhouse Brown, Brian Christopher, and now Nikolai all leaving the ring for good.  :-\\

Subject: Re: Nikolai "The Executioner" Volkoff Leaves the Ring

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/29/18 at 1:24 pm

WWF Hall of Famer Nikolai "The Executioner" Volkoff has passed away today, after having been hospitalized for dehydration. He was 70 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolai_Volkoff

In 1984, Volkoff teamed with with The Iron Sheik and captured the WWF Tag Team Championship. 8). If memory serves, this was the same year that the Sheik and Bruno Sammartino mopped up the floor with Dave "Rooster" Fleming, a washed-up CFL football player, and four of Fleming's buddies, in a real life fight in Picksburgh. Seems that Fleming confused Sammartino's advanced age with infirmity. ;D Fleming learned the hard way that messing with Bruno was a stupid idea. :o

Man, this has been a bad week for wrestling, with Brickhouse Brown, Brian Christopher, and now Nikolai all leaving the ring for good.  :-\\

He was a great heel. I remember watching him back in the 1980s standing at attention in the middle of the ring before matches and singing the Soviet national anthem while the crowd booed and yelled at him. ;D

RIP Comrade Volkoff, you were a big part of what made pro wrestling so awesome back then.

Subject: Re: Nikolai "The Executioner" Volkoff Leaves the Ring

Written By: Howard on 07/29/18 at 2:45 pm

I remember Nikolai Volkoff during the late 1980's when Him and Boris Zukoff were a team and a year later Nikolai turned face and became an American citizen teamed with Hacksaw Jim Duggan at Summerslam 1990, they faced Orient Express and then I remember when he joined The Million Dollar Corporation in 1994. R.I.P. Nikolai. :\'(

Check for new replies or respond here...