inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Final Curtain Call for Neil Simon

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/18 at 2:12 pm

Legendary playwright Neil Simon, famous for fare such as The Odd Couple, The Goodbye Girl, Barefoot in the Park, The Sunshine Boys, and countless other productions, has taken his final bow at the age of 91.  Many of his biggest productions also ended up as either TV shows or feature flicks.  8)

https://triblive.com/aande/celebritynews/14012967-74/neil-simon-broadways-master-of-comedy-dies-at-91

Subject: Re: Final Curtain Call for Neil Simon

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/26/18 at 2:41 pm

This is so sad. My first introduction to Neil Simon was when my mother was in college (she went back when I was first grade). She worked on Come Blow Your Horn-I think she directed that production.

The play that will always be close to my heart is Chapter Two. When I worked summer stock when I was 17, that was the first play we did. I was "production assistant"-in other words, I was the gofer to the stage manager. I learned every line-even though I didn't have to. In fact, when I first went to college, and took a theatre arts class, I had to do a monologue, I did one from Chapter Two. I can still recite most of it.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/26/18 at 4:26 pm

Legendary playwright Neil Simon, famous for fare such as The Odd Couple, The Goodbye Girl, Barefoot in the Park, The Sunshine Boys, and countless other productions, has taken his final bow at the age of 91.  Many of his biggest productions also ended up as either TV shows or feature flicks.  8)

https://triblive.com/aande/celebritynews/14012967-74/neil-simon-broadways-master-of-comedy-dies-at-91

R.I.P. Neil Simon.  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/26/18 at 4:36 pm

Neil Simon's legacy will long outlive him. His plays will be like a time capsule of the 20th century, in the same way that Shakespeare and the great Greek and Roman playwrights that preceded him captured their own eras. People will still be entertained by his works 500 years from now.

R.I.P. Mr. Simon.  :\'(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/26/18 at 5:07 pm

He wrote "Max Dugan Returns", an excellent movie. Well worth seeking out.

Written By: nally on 08/26/18 at 9:01 pm

He will certainly be missed. R.I.P Neil :(

Written By: AmericanGirl on 08/26/18 at 9:53 pm

Sad!  He had great influence on the entertainment I grew up with (just today I was watching the TV version of the Odd Couple...)

He will be missed  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Neil Simon

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/27/18 at 5:43 pm

Many of his biggest productions also ended up as either TV shows or feature flicks.  8)

Or, in the case of The Odd Couple. both. There's the Lemmon-Matthau classic, the Randall-Klugman TV series, an animated series called The Oddball Couple, a 1982 reboot with an all-black cast, a Randall-Klugman TV movie, the Lemmon-Matthau sequel, and the Tom Lennon-Matthew Perry TV reboot.

RIP Neil Simon.

Written By: meesa on 08/27/18 at 5:51 pm

Loved his work, The Goodbye Girl was probably my favorite. He was definitely an influencer on the playwrights of today. RIP

Check for new replies or respond here...