inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cavalry Playing Taps for Ken Berry

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/01/18 at 11:37 pm

Sad to report that legendary comedic actor, and song-and-dance man Ken Berry has taken his last bow.  :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ken-berry-dead-f-troop-mamas-family-star-was-85-999739

Mr. Berry was known for his performance as US Cavalry Captain Parmenter on the TV series F Troop, as well as stints on Mayberry RFD and Mama's Family.

Subject: Re: Cavalry Playing Taps for Ken Berry

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/18 at 12:02 am

Sorry to hear this. He was a staple on TV in the 60s, 70s and 80s. I like "Mama's Family". It sort of exists in it's own little universe.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 12/02/18 at 8:38 am

Sad - he was great on F-Troop, Mayberry and Mama's Family  :\'(  :\'(  :\'(

R.I.P. Ken Berry

Written By: nally on 12/02/18 at 9:06 am

R.I.P. Ken Berry

Agreed... :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/18 at 11:40 am

Ken did all the big shows.

He did 7 different episodes of Fantasy Island, all different characters. Also did stints on:

Small Wonder
Gimme a Break
CHiPS
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
The Love Boat
Brady Bunch
Love American Style (3 times)
The Lucy Show
Rawhide
Dick Van Dyke

Dude was a monster actor back in the day.  8)

Written By: Howard on 12/02/18 at 2:06 pm

Sad to report that legendary comedic actor, and song-and-dance man Ken Berry has taken his last bow.  :\'(

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ken-berry-dead-f-troop-mamas-family-star-was-85-999739

Mr. Berry was known for his performance as US Cavalry Captain Parmenter on the TV series F Troop, as well as stints on Mayberry RFD and Mama's Family.

I only remember him from Mama's Family.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 12/02/18 at 3:01 pm

The end of the Civil War is near and quite accidentally, Larry Storch and James Hampton are the last surviving F Troop actors.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/18 at 3:08 pm

Ken did all the big shows.

He did 7 different episodes of Fantasy Island, all different characters. Also did stints on:

Small Wonder
Gimme a Break
CHiPS
The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams
The Love Boat
Brady Bunch
Love American Style (3 times)
The Lucy Show
Rawhide
Dick Van Dyke

Dude was a monster actor back in the day.  8)

A true "mid-century" actor.  There are fewer and fewer of them left.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/02/18 at 3:09 pm

A true "mid-century" actor.  There are fewer and fewer of them left.
His shows sound familiar to me, but sorry I know him as just a name.  :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/18 at 4:02 pm

The end of the Civil War is near and quite accidentally, Larry Storch and James Hampton are the last surviving F Troop actors.

Yeah, the cast of F-Troop certainly had a run of bad luck.

But with Larry and James still in the business, maybe a reunion episode or a reboot featuring them in guest roles could still be done.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 12/02/18 at 4:21 pm

R.I.P. Ken Berry

I came to enjoy "Mama's Family" in reruns, years after the original NBC version and the later, better syndicated version had ended. I also remember it, of course, from it's original incarnation as a recurring skit on the Carol Burnett Show. As talented a comedienne and distinguished an actress as Carol Burnett is, I don't really care for the episodes of "Mama's Family" that she is in, though she is only in a handful, all from the first season of the NBC era. There is nothing remotely funny about her "Eunice" character, nor does it work as a dramatic character anyone can have empathy for. She just comes of as psychotically vicious. 

Written By: gibbo on 12/03/18 at 3:48 pm

Yeah, the cast of F-Troop certainly had a run of bad luck.

But with Larry and James still in the business, maybe a reunion episode or a reboot featuring them in guest roles could still be done.

F-Troop was my favourite.  Even, Wrangler Jane is dead (age 66 back in 2015). She was basically, under aged for that role in F-Troop (16 yrs old with a forged Birth Cert stating 18). Ken Berry and Melody Patterson had some great comedic scenes in that show. He was a real pro...

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/14/18 at 5:50 pm

Larry Storch is now the only surviving member of F-Troop. The actress that played Wrangler Jane died in 2015. :\'(

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/15/18 at 2:35 pm

Larry Storch is now the only surviving member of F-Troop. The actress that played Wrangler Jane died in 2015. :\'(

James Hampton is still with us also. He played the role of Hannibal Dobbs. (He's also famous for playing the role of "Caretaker" in the original version of The Longest Yard.  8)

I think that Storch and Hampton should put together an F Troop reboot, or at least a one hour reunion special.

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/15/18 at 11:54 pm

James Hampton is still with us also. He played the role of Hannibal Dobbs. (He's also famous for playing the role of "Caretaker" in the original version of The Longest Yard.  8)

I think that Storch and Hampton should put together an F Troop reboot, or at least a one hour reunion special.

I sure there are a lot of recurring characters that ate still living, but I meant the four main people that had opening credits.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/18 at 4:38 am

I sure there are a lot of recurring characters that ate still living, but I meant the four main people that had opening credits.

Actually hardly any of the side players have survived either. The entire cast had a run of bad luck.  :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 12/16/18 at 12:49 pm

Actually hardly any of the side players have survived either. The entire cast had a run of bad luck.  :-\\

So, it's like The Andy Griffith Show and Bewitched, where only the kids survived. It's sad in any case.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/16/18 at 1:55 pm

So, it's like The Andy Griffith Show and Bewitched, where only the kids survived. It's sad in any case.

Yes. Or Hogan's Heroes, where only Robert Clary survives.  :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...